The best Melbourne Cup Tips on the ‘race that stops a nation’ every year are those based on the form and statistics of the 24-horse Melbourne Cup field.
Melbourne Cup tips range from the stayer experts think will become the Melbourne Cup winner, to exotic Melbourne Cup tips predicting the first four over the line at Flemington on the first Tuesday of November.
Melbourne Cup tips come in thick and fast from all corners in the lead up to the race each year. Many of these tips are only decipherable to dedicated horse racing fans, leaving the casual punter little choice but to go with guesses and the picks of friends.
It doesn’t have to be that way! There are some timeless Melbourne Cup tips that will help you to make your own picks and better bets overall.
Melbourne Cup 2016 Tips
Below are our 2016 tips. When the race approaches, our 2016 Melbourne Cup tips will be published here.
Winner – Trip To Paris – bet now
- He could not have been more impressive in the Caulfield Cup.
- Ran faster closing sectionals in the Caulfield Cup than dominant Melbourne Cup favourite Fame Game.
- Trip To Paris took out the Ascot Gold Cup over 4000 metres at Royal Ascot and he will relish the step-up to 3200 metres.
- The long straight at Flemington will give him every opportunity to savage the line.
Best Local Hope – Criterion – bet now
- Criterion is Australia’s most consistent weight-for-age performer and he has not run a bad race for 12 months.
- Finished second behind Winx in the Cox Plate in a time that would have won every recent edition of the race.
- There are doubts over his staying credentials, but he won the Australian Derby as a three-year-old.
- Will get a dream run into the race from barrier four.
Best Roughie – Who Shot Thebarman – bet now
- Finished a gallant third in the Melbourne Cup last year.
- He ran very quick closing sectionals in the Caulfield Cup and his lead-up form has been far better than it looks on paper.
- Trainer Chris Waller could not be in better form and he ended his drought in major races when Winx took out the Cox Plate.
- Absolutely loves 3200 metres, Flemington is his best track and any sting out of the track will only help his chances.
Each year leading up to Flemington Race 7 on the first Tuesday of November savvy punters are out to find the best Melbourne Cup betting tips and Melbourne Cup exotic selections. And every year the team at Races.com.au team provide our readers with our exclusive, insider Melbourne Cup picks and best bets.
Our expert team of tipsters will look over the full 2016 Melbourne Cup field and Melbourne Cup 2016 form guide on the 24 stayers engaged for the $6.2 million showdown to formulate our first four selections to back in the Melbourne Cup Quinella, Exacta, Trifecta and First Four markets at Australia’s leading bookmaker Ladbrokes.com.au.
Once the Melbourne Cup tips are out you will want to lock in your Melbourne Cup bets at the best prices, so head to the best bookie, and that’s Ladbrokes.com.au.
If you are keen to lock in your own Melbourne Cup predictions and selections in the generous futures Melbourne Cup odds open now at Ladbrokes.com.au, then read over our general Melbourne Cup tipping guide below to help you back a winner!
1.) Watch the lead up races
There are several races that are considered good guides for Melbourne Cup performance. These include the:
- Mackinnon Stakes
- Lexus Stakes (formerly called the Saab Quality)
- Moonee Valley Cup
- Cox Plate
- Caulfield Cup
You will get a lot of good 2016 Melbourne Cup tips based on how runners perform in this year’s lead up races. You should also track the odds for these races at sites like Ladbrokes.com.au or Odds.com.au
2.) Don’t just pick the favourites
There is no need to simply go with the crowd when betting on the 2016 Melbourne Cup, as outside chances have historically performed quite well. While you should stick to runners on the day that have a price below $20, the favourites aren’t always the way to go.
If you follow the same 2016 Melbourne Cup tips as everyone else this year and end up betting on the favourite, you can only expect a tiny payout if you win. Don’t you want a chance to win big? Well, find an unappreciated runner with good odds, and a win will be much more rewarding.
3.) Don’t fear the exotic bets
If you have little choice but to go with the favourite (for instance, if the magical offspring of Makybe Diva and Phar Lap were running in the Cup) then you should consider exotic bets like exactas, quinellas, superfectas, etc.
Picking the Melbourne Cup trifecta does not just pay extremely well – it’s also something you can brag about for years! In 2003, a man accidentally won $2.6 million by correctly picking the Melbourne Cup trifecta when he entered his bet multiple times. That’s a huge payday AND a story that will buy you drinks for years to come. Don’t ignore those 2016 Melbourne Cup trifecta tips. In fact, seek them out more than you would tips for the winner.
4.) If you have a hot tip, take early odds
Don’t wait to act on good 2016 Melbourne Cup tips – place your bet now! Fixed odds at sites like Ladbrokes.com.au are open right now in the futures betting section, so there is no reason you can’t bet as soon as you have your picks. The earlier you bet, the better the Melbourne Cup odds you can take advantage of. The later you bet, the shorter those odds and the smaller the potential payout.
5.) Join an online betting site!
If you aren’t already betting online, then there is no better tip than to sign up for an account at trusted online bookie like Ladbrokes.com.au. Online betting is the way to go these days, as you can get better odds than your local TAB while benefiting from special promotional offers that help your betting dollar go further.
Horse Racing Betting Offers
The best Australian online bookmakers, offering great bonuses and betting on Australian horse racing.
- Ladbrokes.com.au: $700 Bonus Bet* Offer - USE CODE SPRINGBONUS!
- bookmaker.com.au: $250 Bonus Bet* - code BONUSBET
- LuxBet: Get $150 in Bonus Bet when you deposit $50*
- Sportingbet: $200 First Bet Bonus*
We strongly recommend starting an account with Ladbrokes.com.au, as the 2016 Melbourne Cup Tips we feature in our news section rely on the odds there. We think Ladbrokes.com.au offers a great experience for new punters as well as the old hands, so why not give Ladbrokes.com.au a try?