The best Melbourne Cup Tips on the ‘race that stops a nation’ every year are those based on the form and statistics of the 24-horse Melbourne Cup field.
Melbourne Cup tips range from the stayer experts think will become the Melbourne Cup winner, to exotic Melbourne Cup tips predicting the first four over the line at Flemington on the first Tuesday of November.
Melbourne Cup tips come in thick and fast from all corners in the lead up to the race each year. Many of these tips are only decipherable to dedicated horse racing fans, leaving the casual punter little choice but to go with guesses and the picks of friends.
It doesn’t have to be that way! There are some timeless Melbourne Cup tips that will help you to make your own picks and better bets overall.
Our 2013 tips are below. As we get closer to November and more ballot-exemption races are run and the form of likely contenders becomes more apparent, we’ll start posting our 2014 Melbourne Cup tips here.
Melbourne Cup 2014 Tips
Winner – Admire Rakti – bet now
- The talented Japanese stayer stormed home late to win the Caulfield Cup and he is arguably an even better horse over 3200 metres.
- Japanese horses have an excellent record in the Melbourne Cup after Delta Blues and Pop Rock quinelled the 2006 edition of the race.
- Not only will the step-up to 3200 metres suit Admire Rakti, but he is sure to relish the longer Flemington straight and the extra galloping room on offer.
- Jockey Zac Purton is a big race specialist and he has been riding in outstanding form during the 2014 Spring Racing Carnival to date.
Best Local Hope– Fawkner – bet now
- Fawkner was far from disgraced in the Cox Plate and was only beaten by a very small margin in the form of the talented Adelaide.
- The Reset gelding was settled at the tail of the field by jockey Nick Williams in the early stages of the Melbourne Cup last year, but was still able to work home strongly to finish sixth.
- The seven-year-old never produces a poor performance and he is always competitive in whatever race he runs in.
- Lloyd Williams knows what it takes to develop a Melbourne Cup winner after previously taking out the race with Just A Dash (1981), What A Nuisance (1985), Efficient (2007) and Green Moon (2010).
Best Roughie – Araldo – bet now
- Araldo stormed home strongly to finish third in the Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) and he was one of the best runs in the race when fifth in the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m).
- The High Chaparral entire is crying out for the step-up to 3200 metres and is yet to produce a poor performance over staying trips in Australia.
- He gets in well at the weights at just 53 kilograms in what is not one of the strongest editions of the Melbourne Cup in recent years.
- Trainer Mike Moroney took out the 2000 Melbourne with Brew and he is one of the best trainers of stayers in Australia.
Each year leading up to Flemington Race 7 on the first Tuesday of November savvy punters are out to find the best Melbourne Cup betting tips and Melbourne Cup exotic selections. And every year the team at Races.com.au team provide our readers with our exclusive, insider Melbourne Cup picks and best bets.
Our expert team of tipsters will look over the full 2014 Melbourne Cup field and Melbourne Cup 2014 form guide on the 24 stayers engaged for the $6.2 million showdown to formulate our first four selections to back in the Melbourne Cup Quinella, Exacta, Trifecta and First Four markets at Australia’s leading bookmaker Ladbrokes.com.au.
Once the Melbourne Cup tips are out you will want to lock in our Melbourne Cup best bets at the best prices you need to head to the best bookie, and that’s Ladbrokes.com.au.
If you are keen to lock in your own Melbourne Cup predictions and selections in the generous futures Melbourne Cup odds open now at Ladbrokes.com.au, then read over our general Melbourne Cup tipping guide below to help you back a winner!
1.) Watch the lead up races
There are several races that are considered good guides for Melbourne Cup performance. These include the:
- Mackinnon Stakes
- Lexus Stakes (formerly called the Saab Quality)
- Moonee Valley Cup
- Cox Plate
- Caulfield Cup
You will get a lot of good 2014 Melbourne Cup tips based on how runners perform in this year’s lead up races. You should also track the odds for these races at sites like Ladbrokes.com.au or Odds.com.au
2.) Don’t just pick the favourites
There is no need to simply go with the crowd when betting on the 2014 Melbourne Cup, as outside chances have historically performed quite well. While you should stick to runners on the day that have a price below $20, the favourites aren’t always the way to go.
If you follow the same 2014 Melbourne Cup tips as everyone else this year and end up betting on the favourite, you can only expect a tiny payout if you win. Don’t you want a chance to win big? Well, find an unappreciated runner with good odds, and a win will be much more rewarding.
3.) Don’t fear the exotic bets
If you have little choice but to go with the favourite (for instance, if the magical offspring of Makybe Diva and Phar Lap were running in the Cup) then you should consider exotic bets like exactas, quinellas, superfectas, etc.
Picking the Melbourne Cup trifecta does not just pay extremely well – it’s also something you can brag about for years! In 2003, a man accidentally won $2.6 million by correctly picking the Melbourne Cup trifecta when he entered his bet multiple times. That’s a huge payday AND a story that will buy you drinks for years to come. Don’t ignore those 2014 Melbourne Cup trifecta tips. In fact, seek them out more than you would tips for the winner.
4.) If you have a hot tip, take early odds
Don’t wait to act on good 2014 Melbourne Cup tips – place your bet now! Fixed odds at sites like Ladbrokes.com.au are open right now in the futures betting section, so there is no reason you can’t bet as soon as you have your picks. The earlier you bet, the better the Melbourne Cup odds you can take advantage of. The later you bet, the shorter those odds and the smaller the potential payout.
5.) Join an online betting site!
If you aren’t already betting online, then there is no better tip than to sign up for an account at trusted online bookie like Ladbrokes.com.au. Online betting is the way to go these days, as you can get better odds than your local TAB while benefiting from special promotional offers that help your betting dollar go further.
Horse Racing Betting Offers
The best Australian online bookmakers, offering great bonuses and betting on Australian horse racing.
- Ladbrokes.com.au: $500 Bonus Bet* Offer Ends Soon - USE CODE SPRINGBET!
- bookmaker.com.au: $250 Bonus Bet* - code BONUSBET
- LuxBet: $300 Bonus Bet*
- Sportingbet: $200 First Bet Bonus*
We strongly recommend starting an account with Ladbrokes.com.au, as the 2014 Melbourne Cup Tips we feature in our news section rely on the odds there. We think Ladbrokes.com.au offers a great experience for new punters as well as the old hands, so why not give Ladbrokes.com.au a try?