The best Melbourne Cup Tips on the ‘race that stops a nation’ every year are those based on the form and statistics of the 24-horse Melbourne Cup field.
Melbourne Cup tips range from the stayer experts think will become the Melbourne Cup winner, to exotic Melbourne Cup tips predicting the first four over the line at Flemington on the first Tuesday of November.
Melbourne Cup tips come in thick and fast from all corners in the lead up to the race each year. Many of these tips are only decipherable to dedicated horse racing fans, leaving the casual punter little choice but to go with guesses and the picks of friends.
It doesn’t have to be that way! There are some timeless Melbourne Cup tips that will help you to make your own picks and better bets overall.
Our 2013 tips are below. As we get closer to November and more ballot-exemption races are run and the form of likely contenders becomes more apparent, we’ll start posting our 2014 Melbourne Cup tips here.
Melbourne Cup 2013 Tips
Winner – Sea Moon – bet now
- Has strong form in Europe and has previous beaten Dunaden, Fiorente and Red Cadeaux at set weights.
- Improved at each of his starts since arriving in Australia and was a last-start winner of the Herbert Power Stakes.
- Will relish the step up to 3200 metres and will enjoy the long Flemington straight that has plenty of galloping room.
- Prepared by Lloyd Williams who has won the Melbourne Cup on four previous occasions.
Best Foreign Raider – Tres Blue – bet now
- Will carry just 51kg on his back despite strong form in Europe.
- Recently joined the Gai Waterhouse stable who prepared Fiorente to run second in 2010 after just over two weeks in her care.
- Is stepping up to 3200 metres for the first time but gives jockey Tommy Berry every impression that he will run a strong 3200 metres.
- The last Northern Hemisphere three-year-old to run in the Melbourne Cup finished third.
Best Roughie – Masked Marvel – bet now
- Prepared by Melbourne Cup guru Lloyd Williams.
- Has improved at each of his starts in Australia.
- Won the Ladbrokes St Leger in impressive fashion against a field that included Brown Panther, Sea Moon and Seville.
- Finally gets an opportunity at a more appropriate staying distance.
Each year leading up to Flemington Race 7 on the first Tuesday of November savvy punters are out to find the best Melbourne Cup betting tips and Melbourne Cup exotic selections. And every year the team at Races.com.au team provide our readers with our exclusive, insider Melbourne Cup picks and best bets.
Our expert team of tipsters will look over the full 2014 Melbourne Cup field and Melbourne Cup 2014 form guide on the 24 stayers engaged for the $6.2 million showdown to formulate our first four selections to back in the Melbourne Cup Quinella, Exacta, Trifecta and First Four markets at Australia’s leading bookmaker Ladbrokes.com.au.
Once the Melbourne Cup tips are out you will want to lock in our Melbourne Cup best bets at the best prices you need to head to the best bookie, and that’s Ladbrokes.com.au.
If you are keen to lock in your own Melbourne Cup predictions and selections in the generous futures Melbourne Cup odds open now at Ladbrokes.com.au, then read over our general Melbourne Cup tipping guide below to help you back a winner!
1.) Watch the lead up races
There are several races that are considered good guides for Melbourne Cup performance. These include the:
- Mackinnon Stakes
- Lexus Stakes (formerly called the Saab Quality)
- Moonee Valley Cup
- Cox Plate
- Caulfield Cup
You will get a lot of good 2014 Melbourne Cup tips based on how runners perform in this year’s lead up races. You should also track the odds for these races at sites like Ladbrokes.com.au or Odds.com.au
2.) Don’t just pick the favourites
There is no need to simply go with the crowd when betting on the 2014 Melbourne Cup, as outside chances have historically performed quite well. While you should stick to runners on the day that have a price below $20, the favourites aren’t always the way to go.
If you follow the same 2014 Melbourne Cup tips as everyone else this year and end up betting on the favourite, you can only expect a tiny payout if you win. Don’t you want a chance to win big? Well, find an unappreciated runner with good odds, and a win will be much more rewarding.
3.) Don’t fear the exotic bets
If you have little choice but to go with the favourite (for instance, if the magical offspring of Makybe Diva and Phar Lap were running in the Cup) then you should consider exotic bets like exactas, quinellas, superfectas, etc.
Picking the Melbourne Cup trifecta does not just pay extremely well – it’s also something you can brag about for years! In 2003, a man accidentally won $2.6 million by correctly picking the Melbourne Cup trifecta when he entered his bet multiple times. That’s a huge payday AND a story that will buy you drinks for years to come. Don’t ignore those 2014 Melbourne Cup trifecta tips. In fact, seek them out more than you would tips for the winner.
4.) If you have a hot tip, take early odds
Don’t wait to act on good 2014 Melbourne Cup tips – place your bet now! Fixed odds at sites like Ladbrokes.com.au are open right now in the futures betting section, so there is no reason you can’t bet as soon as you have your picks. The earlier you bet, the better the Melbourne Cup odds you can take advantage of. The later you bet, the shorter those odds and the smaller the potential payout.
5.) Join an online betting site!
If you aren’t already betting online, then there is no better tip than to sign up for an account at trusted online bookie like Ladbrokes.com.au. Online betting is the way to go these days, as you can get better odds than your local TAB while benefiting from special promotional offers that help your betting dollar go further.
Horse Racing Betting Offers
The best Australian online bookmakers, offering great bonuses and betting on Australian horse racing.
- Ladbrokes.com.au: $500 Bonus Bet* Offer Ends Soon - USE CODE SPRINGBONUS!
- bookmaker.com.au: $250 Bonus Bet* - code BONUSBET
- LuxBet: $300 Bonus Bet*
- Sportingbet: $200 First Bet Bonus*
We strongly recommend starting an account with Ladbrokes.com.au, as the 2014 Melbourne Cup Tips we feature in our news section rely on the odds there. We think Ladbrokes.com.au offers a great experience for new punters as well as the old hands, so why not give Ladbrokes.com.au a try?