Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The Golden Rose 2017 steals the show in Sydney on Saturday with a gun field of potential Ladbrokes Caulfield Guineas-bound three-year-olds doing battle at Rosehill, a comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview for the Group 1 found below.
This season’s Group 1 $1 million Golden Rose (1400m) features a final field of 14 hopefuls that will run in Rosehill Race 7 on the bumper nine-race card.
Leading the latest Golden Rose Stakes odds online at Ladbrokes.com.au and out to be the third favourite in as many years to salute for the punters is the Gerald Ryan-trained Menari.
The $2 top fancy comes off The Rosebud – The Run To The Rose winning double this time in giving the in-form colt the ideal lead-up into the Group 1 and an outstanding Rosehill race record (4-2-1-0).
If Menari’s form falters the bookies are tipping co-trainer Peter Snowden to prepare his fourth Golden Rose Stakes winner with Pariah ($6) the next best in betting.
Group 1 placed when second to Catchy in the Ladbrokes Blue Diamond Stakes in the autumn, Pariah was one and a half-lengths second in the Group 2 The Run To The Rose (1200m) and is out to turn the tables on his last start conqueror in their rematch this weekend.
Below we take a look at the full Golden Rose Stakes 2017 form guide, betting history and statistics to help uncover any value in the markets this weekend as the likes of undefeated colt Merchant Navy ($8.50) and the Lindsay Park-trained filly Formality ($20) from out wide look to score the upset.
2017 Golden Rose Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Golden Rose winner was Astern (2016) who came off a lead-up Run To The Rose win, jumped the favourite and was ridden to victory by James McDonald from barrier 12 (of 14)
- McDonald also rode the fellow John O’Shea-trained Exosphere (2015) to victory the year before
- Astern (2016), Exosphere (2015) and Hallowed Crown (2014) all completed the Run To The Rose – Golden Rose double
- #2 Menari is out to become the fourth horse in as many years to back-up off a Run To The Rose win and take out the Group 1 Golden Rose Stakes
- The Run To The Rose has produced the past five Golden Rose Stakes winners on the trot
- Along with the winner Menari the other Run To The Rose graduates in Saturday’s race are: Pariah (2nd), Perast (3rd), Shogun Sun (5th), Chauffeur (6th) and Diamond Tathagata (8th)
- From 2009-16 six of the eight Golden Rose winners came off a lead-up win
- Along with Run To The Rose champ #2 Menari the other last-start winners in this year’s Golden Rose field are: #4 Gold Standard (Group 2 Stan Fox Stakes, 1500m, Rosehill, 09/09/2017), #7 Merchant Navy (Group 3 HDF McNeil Stakes, 1200m, Caulfield, 02/09/2017), #9 Dracarys (Group 3 Up & Coming Stakes, 1300m, Randwick, 19/08/2017) and #13 Formality (Group 2 Furious Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 02/09/2017)
- In the past 12 years only one Golden Rose winner came off a non-Sydney lead-up run: Toorak Toff (Vain Stakes 1st, Caulfield, 2010)
- #7 Merchant Navy ($8.50) is the only non-Sydney graduate running in the Golden Rose field 2017
- #9 Dracarys ($20) is out to be the first Up & Coming Stakes winner to back directly up and take out the Golden Rose since Manawanui (2011)
- #13 Formality ($20) is out to be the first Golden Rose Stakes winning filly since Forensics (2008)
- In the past 30 years just three fillies have won the Golden Rose Stakes
- Along with #13 Formality the only other filly in the Golden Rose mix this spring is #14 Champagne Cuddles ($19)
- From 2008-16 four favourites in Golden Rose betting have won including the past two on the trot
- #2 Menari is out to salute for the punters leading the Golden Rose odds at a short $2 in 2017
- Since 2004 (Doonan at $16) only one other double-figure chance has won the Golden Rose with Epaulette ($13 in 2012)
- Along with #2 Menari ($2) the other single-figure chances in the line-up this year are #3 Pariah ($6) and #7 Merchant Navy ($8.50)
- The previous Golden Rose winning trainers with a starter this year are: Peter Snowden (10-3-2-3) with #3 Pariah, #9 Dracarys and #10 Assimilate; and John Hawkes (13-1-2-2) with #6 Chauffeur
- The previous Golden Rose winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: Tommy Berry (4-1-0-0) on #4 Gold Standard, Glyn Schofield (7-1-0-1) on #8 Diamond Tathagata, Kerrin McEvoy (6-1-1-1) on #13 Formality, and four-time winning hoop Hugh Bowman (10-4-0-0) on #10 Assimilate
- Last year’s winning barrier (12) has produced three Golden Rose winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #3 Pariah
- The last time Golden Rose winners won from the same barrier on back-to-back years was Sir Dapper (1983) and Black Ivory (1984)
- The most successful Golden Rose Stakes barrier draw (since 1983) producing five winners is gate one drawn this year by #9 Dracarys
- Three of the past four Golden Rose Stakes winners however saluted from double-digit barriers
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to the undefeated #7 Merchant Navy (100%) followed by #10 Assimilate (67%)
- #4 Gold Standard, #7 Merchant Navy, #10 Assimilate and #14 Champagne Cuddles all boast a perfect 100% Place Rate and are yet to finish outside the top three
- The previous winners at the Rosehill track are: #2 Menari (4-2-1-0), #3 Pariah (4-2-1-0), #6 Chauffeur (4-1-1-0), #1 The Mission (4-1-0-0), #4 Gold Standard (1-1-0-0) and #14 Champagne Cuddles (1-1-0-0)
- The previous winners over the 1400m distance are: #7 Merchant Navy (2-2-0-0) and #1 The Mission (2-1-0-0
- The horses placed over 1400m are: #5 Trapeze Artist (1-0-0-1) and #10 Assimilate (1-0-1-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Golden Rose 2017 tips, checking out the full race form guide in the meantime below provided by Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.