Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The 2017 Doomben 10,000 steals the show in Brisbane kicking off Group 1 racing in Queensland for the winter and below is our comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview.
Formerly the BTC Cup, which is now the Kingsford-Smith Cup held a fortnight later, this year’s $700,000 Group 1 Doomben 10,000 (1200m) is run over a shorter distance and it is a cracking field of sprinters.
Heading the latest Doomben 10,000 betting markets at Ladbrokes.com.au at $3.20 is the Peter & Paul Snowden-trained The Galaxy winning colt Russian Revolution.
The three-year-old ticks plenty of boxes, but was somewhat disappointing last time out when sixth to Chautauqua in the Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes (1200m) in Sydney.
There are three other single-figure fancies in the Doomben 10,000 odds including the TJ Smith Stakes third placegetter Fell Swoop ($8.50).
Defending champ Music Magnate is at $7 to win the shorter-distanced feature this year, while stablemate to the favourite Redzel ($7) could be the better value of the two Snowden runners in the race.
2017 Doomben 10,000 Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben 10,000 winner was the Bjorn Baker-trained Music Magnate (2016) who came off a second in a Scone black-type, jumped from barrier 7 (of 9) and had Kerrin McEvoy aboard
- #5 Music Magnate ($7) returns in 2017 looking to go back-to-back in the race for the first time since Apache Cat (2008-09)
- Bjorn Baker (1-1-0-0) saddles-up the defending champion and is out to be the first trainer to prepare back-to-back Doomben 10,000 winners since Greg Eurell with Apache Cat
- The other previous Doomben 10,000 winning trainers with a runner on Saturday are: Chris Waller (7-1-0-0) with #2 Japonisme and #7 Counterattack; and Peter Snowden (7-2-1-1) with #12 Russian Revolution and #6 Redzel
- Last year’s winning hoop Kerrin McEvoy (5-1-0-0) chases back-to-back Doomben 10,000 wins by a jockey for the first time since 1990-91 aboard #12 Russian Revolution ($3.20)
- The only other previous Doomben 10,000 winning jockey with a ride this weekend is Michael Cahill (6-1-0-2) on #14 El Divino ($34)
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) has produced three of the past five Doomben 10,000 winners and this year the reigning champ #5 Music Magnate is out to be the third in as many years to salute from the gate
- Barrier 7 is the equal most successful Doomben 10,000 gate since 1983 along with barrier one producing six winners each
- Barrier 1 belongs this year to #2 Japonisme ($17)
- The lead-up form into the Doomben 10,000 changes this year with the race moved forward a fortnight and changed to 1200m
- It replaces the BTC Cup and so looking at the form line around that race up until 2017 reveals that the Group 2 Victory Stakes at Eagle Farm is the key lead-up into this year’s new-look Doomben 10,000
- #5 Music Magnate chases the Victory Stakes – Doomben 10,000 double
- The other last start winners in the Doomben 10,000 field are #6 Redzel (Group 3 Hall Mark Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 15/04/2017) and #13 Derryn (Group 2 Arrowfield 3YO Sprint, 1200m, Randwick, 08/04/2017)
- Favourites have a 50% winning strike rate in the Doomben 10,000 in the past decade with the last to salute being Spirit Of Boom (2014)
- #12 Russian Revolution ($3.20) is favourite in Doomben 10,000 betting this season
- #12 Russian Revolution is out to be the first Doomben 10,000 winning three-year-old since the fellow Peter Snowden-trained Epaulette (2013) who was the second in as many years following the success of the filly Sea Siren (2012)
- The other three-year-olds in the mix this season are: #13 Derryn and #14 El Divino
- Just two mares have won the race since 1994 with Hot Danish (2010) and Beaded (2011) going back-to-back
- #15 In Her Time ($31) is the only mare in the Doomben 10,000 field this season
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #12 Russian Revolution (71%) followed by #8 Start Wondering (53%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #8 Start Wondering (79%) followed by #5 Music Magnate (76%)
- The horses with the best record over the new Doomben 10,000 distance (1200m) are: #9 Upstart Pride (15-5-3-1), #4 Music Magnate (7-4-2-1), #1 Fell Swoop (9-4-2-2), #3 Takedown (10-4-0-1), #8 Start Wondering (5-3-1-0), #2 Japonisme (14-3-0-5), #4 Rebel Dane (22-4-3-4) and #10 The Monstar (12-3-2-)
- The previous winners at the Doomben track are: #1 Fell Swoop (3-1-0-0), #5 Music Magnate (1-1-0-0), #7 Counterattack (4-1-0-0) and #9 Upstart Pride (16-2-4-0)
- Doomben Racecourse is set to run on a Soft track this weekend and the horses with the best form on this going are: #10 The Monstar (12-7-1-1), #2 Japonisme (6-4-0-1), #4 Rebel Dane (9-4-0-0), #1 Fell Swoop (5-2-3-0), #5 Music Magnate (2-2-0-0), #12 Russian Revolution (2-2-0-0) and #8 Start Wondering (8-3-2-1)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Doomben 10,000 tips, checking out the full form guide below in the meantime provided by Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.