A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
Winx is all the rage for her sixteenth straight win this weekend on Golden Slipper Day, but does the George Ryder Stakes 2017 form guide reveal any value in betting on the weight-for-age clash?
Running as Rosehill Race 5 at 2:45pm (AEDT) on Saturday afternoon, the field for the $1 million Group 1 China Horse Club George Ryder (1500m) is down to eight.
Darren Weir has scratched his gun Japanese import Tosen Stadom from the line-up in favour of a Flemington Group 2 Blamey Stakes run against his flying stablemate Black Heart Bart in Melbourne on the same day.
She shapes-up as a massive chance to become the race’s shortest-priced winner in history and defend her title on way to the Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) during ‘The Championships’.
No doubt the five-year-old is against some class rivals here, but does the George Ryder Stakes form guide and betting history have any hint of an upset?
2017 George Ryder Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s George Ryder Stakes winner was the Chris Waller-trained Winx (2016) who came off a Chipping Norton Stakes win, jumped from barrier 7 (of 8) with Hugh Bowman aboard and saluted as the $1.90 favourite
- #8 Winx ($1.16) returns on Saturday to defend her title out to go back-to-back in the George Ryder Stakes for the first time since Lonhro (2003-04)
- Chris Waller chases back-to-back wins as a trainer in the race for the first time since he won three straight from 2010-12
- Waller (27-4-1-4) is the race’s most successful trainer and along with Winx also saddles-up #6 McCreery ($31) and #7 Endless Drama ($34) on Saturday
- The other previous George Ryder Stakes winning trainers with a starter this weekend are: John Hawkes (23-3-7-2) with #1 Chautauqua ($6) and #5 Leebaz ($151); and John O’Shea (3-1-1-0) with #3 Hauraki ($19)
- Hugh Bowman (13-3-1-2) chases back-to-back wins as a jockey for the first time since Glen Boss (2006-07)
- There are no other previous George Ryder Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday
- #8 Winx also chases the same Chipping Norton Stakes – George Ryder Stakes double she achieved last autumn
- The other Chipping Norton Stakes graduate is Endless Drama (6th)
- The Canterbury Stakes has proven the form line to follow into the George Ryder producing three of the past six winners most recently with Pierro (2013) completing the double
- #2 Le Romain ($9) chases the Canterbury Stakes – George Ryder Stakes double in 2017
- The other Canterbury Stakes graduates in the mix are: Chautauqua (2nd) and Hauraki (3rd)
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) has produced five George Ryder Stakes winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #2 Le Romain
- The most successful George Ryder Stakes barriers in that time with six wins each are 1 and 6 drawn this year by #1 Chautauqua and #6 McCreery
- George Ryder Stakes favourites have saluted three times in the past decade and #8 Winx is the odds-on favourite this weekend
- In the past eight years five double-figure gallopers have scored an upset George Ryder Stakes result with the longest-priced in that time being Gordon Lord Byron ($21 in 2014)
- Winx was the first mare since Heat Of the Moment (1986) – who won as a filly – to salute in the race
- Along with Winx the only other female galloper in the field this weekend is the filly #9 Sylpheed ($201)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #8 Winx (76%) followed by #1 Chautauqua (46%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #8 Winx (88%) followed by #2 Le Romain (87%) and #1 Chautauqua (85%)
- The previous winners at the Rosehill track are: #8 Winx (5-4-0-0), #3 Hauraki (3-1-2-0) and #6 McCreery (4-1-1-0)
- The previous winners over the distance (1500m) are: #5 Leebaz (4-2-1-1) and #8 Winx (2-2-0-0)
- The previous winners on a Heavy track are: #2 Le Romain (3-2-1-0), #8 Winx (2-2-0-0), #3 Hauraki (2-1-0-1) and #6 McCreery (3-1-1-0)
- #1 Chautauqua is yet to win on Heavy going but from two starts in the mud he boasts two seconds
Stay tuned for our insider George Ryder Stakes 2017 tips checking out the full race form guide below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the best odds on Winx.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.