The last of the Group 1 Randwick races on The Championships Day 2 card this Saturday in Sydney is the 2017 Queen Of The Turf Stakes, a full form guide and betting preview for which is found below.
Due to run as Randwick Race 9 at 4:35pm (AEST), this season’s $1 million Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes (1600m) runs as the Coolmore Legacy Stakes and features 17 runners after the early scratching Alaskan Rose (11).
Silent Sedition leads the way at $4.60 looking to continue the gun record of favourites in the Queen Of The Turf Stakes results from the past 15 years – 10 saluting in that time including Azkadellia ($2.75) last season.
She comes off a non-traditional lead-up into the weight-for-age mile feature however having won Melbourne’s Group 1 William Reid Stakes (1200m) over a sprint distance at Moonee Valley last time out.
The major rivals shape-up as Chris Waller’s gun filly Foxplay ($6), recent Coolmore Classic winner Heavens Above ($7.50) and the Ron Quinton-trained Dixie Blossoms ($7.50) who will be keen to return to her pet track after two Rosehill runs.
Below we look to uncover value in the markets going over the full Queen Of The Turf Stakes 2017 form guide, betting history and statistical facts.
2017 Queen Of The Turf Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Queen Of The Turf Stakes winner was the Ciaron Maher-trained Azkadellia (2016) who came off a Doncaster Mile third, jumped from barrier 8 (of 15) with Damien Oliver riding the favourite to victory
- Maher is without a runner this year but the previous Queen Of The Turf Stakes winning trainers represented in 2017 are: David Hayes (12-1-0-0) with #8 Rising Romance ($34) and #11 Jessy Belle ($61); Peter Snowden (8-2-0-0) with #13 Extensible ($41); and John Hawkes (24-4-2-2) with #9 Euro Angel ($31)
- Damien Oliver (12-1-1-1) chases back-to-back Queen Of The Turf Stakes wins as a hoop for the first time since Nash Rawiller (2001-12) aboard #18 Oregon’s Day ($26)
- The other previous Queen Of The Turf Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: Tommy Berry (3-1-0-0) on #8 Rising Romance, Luke Nolen (4-1-0-1) on #12 Abbey Marie, Kerrin McEvoy (7-2-0-1) on #17 Foxplay and Corey Brown (12-2-2-0) on #9 Euro Angel
- Only one of the past 12 Queen Of The Turf Stakes winners finished worse than fourth in the lead-up; this year that rules out #7 Danish Twist, #9 Euro Angel, #10 Elle Lou, #11 Jessy Belle, #12 Abbley Marie, #13 Extensible and #16 Diamond Made from the win
- In the last 10 years 5 of the Queen Of The Turf Stakes winners came off a winning lead-up
- The last start winners in the mix this year are: #1 Silent Sedition (Group 1 William Reid Stakes, 1200m, Moonee Valley, 24/03/2017); #3 Heavens Above (Group 1 Coolmore Classic, 1500m, Rosehill, 11/03/2017); #5 Zanbagh (Group 2 Emancipation Stakes, 1500m, Rosehill, 25/03/2017) and #18 Oregon’s Day (Group 3 Alexandra Stakes, 1600m, Moonee Valley, 24/03/2017)
- #1 Silent Sedition ($4.60) is out to be the first Queen Of The Turf Stakes winner to come off a non-Sydney lead-up since Typhoon Tracy (Futurity Stakes win at Caulfield)
- #3 Heavens Above ($7.50) chases the Coolmore Classic – Queen Of The Turf double (without a run in between) for the first time since Appearance (2013)
- #5 Zanbagh ($13) is out to be the third winner in four years to come off an Emancipation Stakes lead-up joining Diamond Drille (4th in 2014) and Amanpour (2nd in 2015)
- Last year’s winning barrier (8) has produced six winners (since 1983) making it the most successful in the past 30 years and belongs this year to #12 Abbey Marie ($26)
- Four-year-old mares have dominated the race including winning the past four straight, six of the past seven editions and seven in the past decade
- The 4YOs in the Queen Of The Turf Stakes field this year are: #1 Silent Sedition, #6 Dixie Blossoms, #9 Euro Angel, #12 Abbey Marie, #14 Pure Pride and #16 Diamond Made
- No six-year-old has won the race in the past 30 plus years: #4 Real Love, #5 Zanbagh, #8 Rising Romance and #11 Jessy Belle are the 6YOs out to break the drought in 2017
- The last three-year-old to win was Forensics (2008); two fillies are in the mix this year with #17 Foxplay and #18 Oregon’s Day taking on the older mares
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #12 Abbey Marie (50%) followed by #1 Silent Sedition (38%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #1 Silent Sedition (94%) followed by #13 Extensible (79%), #6 Dixie Blossoms (71%) and #18 Oregon’s Day (71%)
- The runners with the best winning form at Randwick are: #10 Elle Lou (7-3-1-2), #2 First Seal (7-2-3-0), #3 Heavens Above (6-2-1-1), #6 Dixie Blossoms (4-2-1-1), #17 Foxplay (4-2-1-0), #7 Danish Twist (7-2-1-1), #8 Rising Romance (5-1-1-0) and #9 Euro Angel (2-1-0-0)
- The horses with the best winning form over the distance (1600m) are: #5 Zanbagh (8-2-0-0), #11 Jessy Belle (6-2-0-0), #3 Heavens Above (6-1-1-2), #2 First Seal (5-1-0-1), #6 Dixie Blossoms (3-1-1-0), #9 Euro Angel (4-1-1-0) and #18 Oregon’s Day (1-1-0-0)
- The standout Heavy track performers in the mix are: #5 Zanbagh (6-3-1-0), #6 Dixie Blossoms (2-1-0-1), #10 Elle Lou (9-1-3-1) and #17 Foxplay (3-1-0-0)
Stay tuned for our exclusive Queen Of The Turf Stakes 2017 tips, checking out the comprehensive form on the race below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.