A smart line-up of three-year-old Derby types face off in the 2017 Rosehill Guineas this Saturday in Sydney, a full form guide analysis and betting preview on the Golden Slipper Day clash found below.
This season’s $600,000 Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) features a final field of twelve running in Rosehill Race 6 at 3:25pm (AEDT) in a lead-up run to the Group 1 ATC Derby (2400m) on April 1.
All the rage in the latest Rosehill Guineas betting markets at Ladbrokes.com.au is the firming favourite Inference ($3.40) coming off a Group 1 Randwick Guineas (1600m) win a fortnight back.
The Hawkes Racing-trained So You Think colt proved he could handle a mud track with that win taking out the Group 1 on a Heavy (10) course and placed third in the Victoria Derby (2500m) over the spring.
The dangers out to stop Inference from completing the Guineas double last achieved by It’s A Dundeel (2013) are $6 second elects in the Rosehill Guineas odds – Prized Icon and Gingernuts.
The James Cummings-trained Prized Icon beat Inference in the Victoria Derby at Flemington last November and comes off a Melbourne lead-up when second to Hey Doc in the Group 1 Australian Guineas (1600m) last time out.
Gingernuts is a visiting Kiwi galloper out to continue the gun recent record of Kiwis in the Rosehill Guineas results, the in-form gelding last seen winning the Group 1 New Zealand Derby (2400m) on March 4.
Below we have a look at the full look at the Rosehill Guineas 2017 form guide, betting statistics and race history to uncover value in the markets this weekend.
2017 Rosehill Guineas Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Rosehill Guineas winner was the Mick Price-trained Tarzino (2016) who came off a second in the Australian Guineas and jumped from barrier 2 (of 14) with Craig Newitt riding the $3 favourite to victory
- The previous Rosehill Guineas winning trainers with a runner this weekend are: David Hayes (8-1-0-1) with #3 Seaburge and John Hawkes (20-3-2-4) with #4 Inference
- The only previous Rosehill Guineas winning jockey with a ride on Saturday is Craig Williams (6-2-0-0) on #5 Comin’ Through ($8)
- Last year’s winning barrier (2) has produced four Rosehill Guineas winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #10 Land Of Plenty ($34)
- The most successful Rosehill Guineas barrier in that time producing seven winners – most recently Laser Hawk (2012) – is gate eight drawn this year by #1 Prized Icon ($6)
- The Randwick Guineas is the key Rosehill Guineas lead-up race producing five of the past eight winners
- #4 Inference is out to complete the Randwick Guineas – Rosehill Guineas double for the first time since It’s A Dundeel (2013)
- The other Randwick Guineas graduates in the mix on Saturday are: Comin’ Through (3rd), Impavido (4th) and Harper’s Choice (6th)
- The Australian Guineas has produced just the one Rosehill Guineas winner since 2001 with Tarzino (2nd in 2016) last year
- The Australian Guineas graduates in the mix this year are: Prized Icon (2nd), Anaheim (5th), Seaburge (6th), Land Of Plenty (8th) and So Si Bon (10th)
- Only one of the past ten Rosehill Guineas winners finished worse than fourth in their lead-up run and just the two in that time ran worse than third
- Along with Inference the other last start winners in the mix this year are #2 Gingernuts (Group 1 NZ Derby, 2400m, Ellerslie, 04/03/2017) and #8 Sizzling Bullet (BM70, 2000m, Randwick, 15/02/2017)
- The past 19 Rosehill Guineas winners came off a Group 1 lead-up
- Three Rosehill Guineas favourites have won in the past decade most recently Tarzino ($3 in 2016)
- #4 Inference ($3.40) leads Rosehill Guineas betting this season
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #8 Sizzling Bullet (60%) followed by #2 Gingernuts (57%)
- #2 Gingernuts ($6) is out to join Volkstok’n’barrell (2015), It’s A Dundeel (2013) and Jimmy Choux (2011) as the recent New Zealand-trained Rosehill Guineas winners
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #6 Anaheim (88%) followed by #5 Comin’ Through (83%) and #8 Sizzling Bullet (80%)
- There are no previous winners at the Rosehill track in the field this year
- The only previous winners over the 2000m distance are: #6 Anaheim (2-1-1-0) and #8 Sizzling Bullet (1-1-0-0)
- The horses with winning Heavy track form in the mix are: #4 Inference (1-1-0-0), #8 Sizzling Bullet (2-1-0-0) and #11 Harper’s Choice (2-1-0-0)
Stay tuned for our exclusive Rosehill Guineas 2017 betting tips and in the meantime check out the full race form guide below provided by Ladbrokes.com.au.