Local galloper Zahspeed remains the solid...
The pre-race hype on Winx running in the Ladbrokes Cox Plate 2017 this weekend is building to fever pitch and below we take a look at exactly what records and honours the champion mare is racing for when she lines-up at The Valley.
Trainer Chris Waller was humbled on Tuesday morning at Moonee Valley’s Breakfast With The Best when his champion galloper had her final piece of work before the Group 1 $3 million Ladbrokes Cox Plate (2040m) on Saturday.
Jockey Hugh Bowman put the six-year-old daughter of Street Cry through her paces in front of a huge early morning crowd of eager fans there to watch the equine superstar in action before race day.
It was eerily quiet Waller said when the 14-time Group 1 winner went over her 1200m gallop, Bowman restraining her for a final 400m sectional time of 23.86 seconds.
“As she came up the straight you could have heard a pin drop,” the master trainer told Racing Victoria.
“It was quite an eerie feeling.
“I was sort of thinking last night I wonder what people are going to do when she goes onto the track. Are they going to upset her? Are they going to clap when she comes up the straight?
“But people were very polite which was fantastic as it was a very serious piece of work this morning.
“It’s quite humbling the turnout.”
Everyone knows the Winx show is in town, but what will a third Cox Plate win actually mean for the super star?
2017 Cox Plate Win for Winx
- She will equal Kingston Town (1980-81) as the only other three-time Cox Plate winner in history
- She joins Black Caviar with 15 Group 1 wins
- She will be the shortest-priced Cox Plate favourite to salute since Phar Lap ($1.07 in 1931)
- The $1.8 million Cox Plate winners’ cheque sees her surpass Makybe Diva ($14,526,685) as the highest-earning Australian Racehorse with $15,577,925
- Her winning streak extends to 22 straight victories
- Her flawless Moonee Valley record stays intact
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.