Trainer Kris Lees’ multiple Group 1 winner Le...
There is an under capacity 2017 Caulfield Cup field assembled for the $3.15 million classic this Saturday in Melbourne and three of the runners in the mile and a half showdown are visiting internationals.
Heading the latest odds at Ladbrokes.com.au on the Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) this spring is one of the raiders, the Aidan O’Brien-trained Johannes Vermeer ($4.80).
Caulfield Cup favourites have saluted twice in as many years and there’s been a stack of money fly in for this Ben Melham-ridden galloper after his eye-catching second in last weekend’s Group 1 Ladbrokes Stakes (2000m).
The other internationally-trained gallopers looking to be the first to salute since Japan’s Admire Rakti (2014) are the Hughie Morrison-trained Marmelo ($20) and the William Mullins-trained fellow Irish galloper Wicklow Brave ($51).
So what chances to the international Caulfield Cup horses have of defeating the locally-trained stayers in Caulfield Race 8 at 4:30pm (AEDT) on Saturday?
Verdict: Better for a Melbourne Cup bet but definite Place Chance with the Bowman factor.
Breeding: by Duke Of Marmalade from Carpriolla
Trainer: Hughie Morrison (East Illsley, GB)
Owners: The Fairy Story Partnership, Mr A Kheir, Mr P Mehrten, Mr J A O’neill
Jockey: Hugh Bowman
Lead-Up Run: 1st, Group 2 Prix Kergorlay (3000m) Deauville, France, 20/08/2017
- Prix Kergorlay form has stacked-up down in recent years
- Hasn’t raced over less than 2500m since breaking his maiden status with a 10 length win over 2414m in July of 2016 at Doncaster
- Hugh Bowman is confident having partnered the horse for some eye-catching work at Werribee this week
- Five of the past eight winners jumped from a double-digit barrier including Fawkner (10 of 18 in 2013)
- Carries second top weight (55kg) so gives kilos away to some class stayers
- May need the run tuning up for the two miles of the 2017 Melbourne Cup
#3 JOHANNES VERMEER
Verdict: Deserving favourite who just needs to get into the right position to salute for the punters.
Breeding: by Galileo from Inca Princess
Trainer: Aidan O’Brien (Co. Tipperary, IRE)
Owners: Mr N C Williams, Mr L J Williams, Mrs S J Williams, Mr J A Ingham, Mr B N Singer, Mr A L Green, Mrs B A Green, Bulla Thoroughbreds Pty Ltd, Mr D A Heffernan, Mr M S Gudinski, Mr V Sammartino, Mr P Mehrten, Mr G T Ryan
Jockey: Ben Melham
Lead-Up Run: 2nd, Group 1 Caulfield Stakes, 2000m, Caulfield, 14/10/2017
- Firming favourite in Caulfield Cup betting out to be the third to salute for the punters in as many years
- Melham is confident this is a “Caulfield Cup horse” and that barrier 2 will suit
- Barrier has produced three Caulfield Cup winners since 1983 roughly a decade apart
- Runs twice in seven days so is fit and firing
- Eye-catching Ladbrokes Classic second last Saturday with upside
- Mongolian Khan (3rd in 2015) was the last Caulfield Cup winner off that lead-up race
- Drops from 59kg to 54.5kg
- Yet to win over further than 2011m
- Last start over the distance produced a close second under 62kg in a Group 3 at Leopardstown (Ireland) in August
#8 WICKLOW BRAVE
Verdict: Too much against to win but may run First Four at a big price.
Breeding: by Beat Hollow from Moraine
Trainer: William Mullins (IRE)
Owners: Wicklow Bloodstock (Ire) Ltd
Jockey: Joao Moreira
Lead-Up Run: 4th, Group 1 Irish St Leger, 2816m, The Curragh, Ireland, 10/09/2017
- Needs to make history as the first nine-year-old Caulfield Cup winner
- Hasn’t won a race under 2816m so is a dour stayer that may need further
- Has barrier 16 (of 17) to overcome and the gate hasn’t produced a winner since Tristarc (1985)
- Last year’s Irish St Leger winner finished fourth in the same lead-up this season
- Hurdler / flat racer hasn’t won a flat race since September last year
- Perennial fourth placegetter having finished 4th in four of his past five starts
- Would be the longest Caulfield Cup winner since the first international to salute: Taufan’s Melody ($67 in 1998)
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.