The Team Snowden trained Calanda will carry the...
The weight-for-age The BMW 2017 steals the show in Sydney on Saturday and below you’ll find our comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview on the autumn classic.
A small but classy field of nine runners take to the Rosehill Gardens track for Race 6 at 3:30pm (AEDT) on Saturday afternoon chasing the big prize money on offer in the $1.5 million Group 1 The BMW (2400m).
She has been well-supported in The BMW odds to post her first win since the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) over these metres in Melbourne last spring.
Ciaron Maher’s classy four-year-old has had three runs this season, most recently running just a quarter length second to Humidor in the Group 1 Australian Cup (2000m).
She will eat-up the extra distance this weekend in Sydney and has proven form in the wet giving the punters confidence in her ability on a likely Heavy rated track.
Our Ivanhowe coming off the Ranvet Stakes win at the track last Saturday is the other best in the markets paying $4.20 to complete the double last done by Silent Achiever (2014).
He thrived in the mud last time out first-up, will be fitter for the run and could prove hard to stop again on a similar bog track this weekend.
Check out the full The BMW 2017 form guide, betting history and statistics to uncover any value in the markets for Saturday’s major at Rosehill Gardens.
2017 The BMW Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s The BMW winner was the Chris Waller-trained Preferment (2016) who came off an Australian Cup win in Melbourne and jumped from barrier four (of 10) with Hugh Bowman riding the $4.50 favourite
- Chris Waller (14-1-12) chases back-to-back The BMW wins as a trainer for the first time since Guy Walter (1999-2000) this weekend with: #3 Who Shot Thebarman ($34), #4 Grand Marshal ($81) and #5 Libran ($34)
- The only other previous The BMW winning trainer with a runner this year is Lee Freedman (13-1-1-3) with #1 Our Ivanhowe ($4.40) and #2 Exospheric ($9.50)
- Hugh Bowman (7-2-0-1) is after back-to-back The BMW winning rides and his third overall in the race this year aboard #8 Jameka ($3.80); the last hoop to ride successive The BMW winners was Darren Beadman (2008-09)
- The only other previous The BMW winning jockey with a ride on the weekend is Damien Oliver (15-2-3-3) on #2 Exospheric
- Last year’s winning barrier (4) is the most successful since 1983 producing seven The BMW winners and belongs this year to #7 Tavago ($4.60)
- #6 Humidor ($4.40) chases the Australian Cup – The BMW double achieved last year by Preferment
- The Australian Cup has produced two of the past six winners and this year and the other hopeful out of the race on Saturday is Jameka (2nd)
- The Ranvet Stakes has been the best The BMW form race to follow producing six winners in the past decade – most recently Silent Achiever (2014) who completed the double
- #1 Our Ivanhowe chases the Ranvet Stakes – The BMW double this weekend
- Four of the past five The BMW winners came off a lead-up win
- Along with #1 Our Ivanhowe (Ranvet Stakes) and #6 Humidor (Australian Cup) the other last start winner in the mix this year is #7 Tavago (Group 3 Sky High Stakes, 2000m, Rosehill, 11/03/2017)
- #7 Tavago is out to complete the Sky High Stakes – The BMW double for the first time since Hartnell (2015)
- Two mares in the past 10 years have won The BMW most recently Silent Achiever (2014); #8 Jameka is the only mare in the mix this year
- #9 Lasqueti Spirit ($18) is the other female galloper in the line-up out to be the first filly to win the race in over 30 years
- The last three-year-old The BMW winner was Fiveandahalfstar (2013)
- Four-year-olds have won the past two editions and four in the past 10 years; the 4YOs in The BMW this weekend are: #6 Humidor, #7 Tavago and #8 Jameka
- Five-year-olds have also won four editions of The BMW in the past decade; the only 5YO in the race this weekend is #2 Exospheric
- Three favourites have saluted for the punters in The BMW results from the past decade most recently Preferment (2016)
- #8 Jameka is out to win as The BMW favourite this weekend
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #5 Libran (36%), #6 Humidor (36%) and #7 Tavago (36%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #6 Humidor (79%) followed by #8 Jameka (61%)
- The previous winners at the Rosehill track are: #1 Our Ivanhowe (2-1-0-0), #4 Grand Marshal (9-1-0-2), #5 Libran (3-1-0-0) and #7 Tavago (1-1-0-0)
- The previous winners over the distance (2400m) are: #1 Our Ivanhowe (10-3-0-1), #5 Libran (4-3-0-0), #3 Who Shot Thebarman (8-2-1-0), #2 Exospheric (4-1-0-2), #4 Grand Marshal (6-1-1-1), #8 Jameka (3-1-1-0) and #7 Tavago (2-1-0-0)
- With a likely rain-affected track on the weekend the proven Heavy track performers are: #1 Our Ivanhowe (1-1-0-0), #3 Who Shot Thebarman (5-1-0-1), #6 Humidor (1-1-0-0) and #8 Jameka (1-1-0-0)
- Roughie in The BMW odds 2017 #4 Grand Marshal is yet to win on a Heavy track but from six runs on the going he has enjoyed three seconds and a third
Stay tuned for our insider The BMW 2017 betting tips checking out the full race form guide below in the meantime provided by Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.