Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
All the money this Cox Plate Day is on glamour mare Winx to win the meeting’s $3 million weight-for-age feature for the second year on the trot, but will the $2 favourite salute for the punters?
The Chris Waller-trained daughter of Street Cry has won her past 12 starts on the trot including eight in Group 1 company building up a record to rival many of Australia’s best mares.
On Saturday the five-year-old returns to Moonee Valley Racecourse for the first time in 12 months to defend her title in the Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m).
Last spring she won the classic by nearly five lengths and on Saturday she faces just nine rivals looking to go back-to-back for the first time since So You Think (2009-10).
She is all the rage in the Cox Plate betting markets at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $2 for the win after drawing barrier three for her and last year’s winning hoop Hugh Bowman to jump from.
Winx won the Group 1 Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes (2000m) over the Cox Plate distance last time out as the $1.20 favourite so the argument is that she’s actually good value this weekend based on her recent starting prices.
Winx is Australia’s best racehorse, proven at weight-for-age and the Valley.
She has dominated in all races over the past year including that historic Group 1 Doncaster Mile (1600m) win under 56.5kg back in April.
Her status is that of a champion and she has defeated most of the runners in the Cox Plate field before including the danger, imported six-year-old Hartnell ($3.50) three times previously.
He is back to his best however and out to atone for those losses making for a scintillating showdown on Saturday.
So will Winx make it 4-0 over the back-in-form Godolphin galloper Hartnell?
2016 Cox Plate Horse Form #8 Winx
Jockey: Hugh Bowman
Trainer: Chris Waller
Owner/s: Magic Bloodstock Racing, Mr R G Treweeke, Mrs D N Kepitis
Breeding: by Street Cry (IRE) from Vegas Showgirl (NZ)
Last 6: 11×111
Prize Money: $7,498,175
Current 2016 Cox Plate Odds: $2
Why Winx Will Win the 2016 Cox Plate
- She is drawn a treat in barrier three, a barrier that has produced recent Cox Plate winners Shamus Award (2013), Northerly (2001) and The Phantom Chance (1993)
- She is the reigning Australian Racehorse of the Year
- She has won her past 12 starts on the trot and three of the past six Cox Plate winners came off a last-start win
- The Caulfield Stakes has produced 13 of the past 40 Cox Plate winners making it the most successful lead-up in the race since 1976
- Caulfield Stakes winners have a 34.61% strike rate in the Cox Plate in that time
- She is an eight-time Group 1 winner and defending Cox Plate champion
- She is proven at weight-for-age
- She has winning form at the notorious Moonee Valley track
- She has beaten Hartnell three times before including in last year’s Cox Plate when he ran fifth
- Hugh Bowman continues his association with the mighty mare
- She boasts the highest Win (73%) and Place (86%) rates of the field
- She has won close to $7.5 million in prize money
- She has been set specifically for the Cox Plate title defence
- Chris Waller and Hugh Bowman are the only trainer and jockey in the race this year with a previous Cox Plate win on the record
Why Winx Can be Beaten in the Cox Plate Result
- She has never faced #3 Hartnell ($3.50) at his best and his impressive Turnbull Stakes win suggests he is firing on all cylinders
- No five-year-old has won the Cox Plate since Northerly (2001)
- The international #6 Vadamos ($14) is yet to race down under and his Group 1 form in Europe could stack-up at the big price
- Favourites only have a fair record in the race with So You Think ($1.50 in 2010) and Winx ($4.60 in 2015) the last to salute
- Seven of the past 13 Cox Plate winners jumped at double-figures
Get on the Winx bandwagon at the right price now and back the champion mare to continue her historic run of form at the hottest price at Ladbrokes.com.au – home of Enhanced Odds on the Cox Plate 2016 (T&Cs apply).
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.