Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
After the racing action of today’s Victoria Derby Day finishes up the official Melbourne Cup 2014 field will be released followed by the all-important barrier draw live from Flemington Racecourse.
This year’s edition of the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) will run back at the track this coming Tuesday, November 4, featuring a capacity 24 starter field.
There are still officially 37 stayers looking to line-up in the world’s richest handicap following the withdrawal of the 2012 Melbourne Cup winner Green Moon, second on the order of entry, this morning due to a cracked hoof.
What Green Moon’s Scratching Means
- Trainer Robert Hickmott and owner Lloyd Williams are down to three Melbourne Cup entries
- Two are assured of a start with Fawkner ($10) and Sea Moon ($101)
- The stable sweats on $26 shot Amralah (36th) to make the cut by winning the Mackinnon Stakes today
- Previous number 23 on the ballot Araldo ($19) is now 22nd and assured of a run
- The Mackinnon Stakes and Lexus Stakes winners both gain a Melbourne Cup ballot exemption
- Previous number 24 on the ballot Unchain My Heart ($201) moves up to 23rd and was scratched from the Lexus Stakes
- Connections run the risk of her missing a start however with a number of scenarios allowing for her to be leapfrogged and pushed out of the top 24
2014 Melbourne Cup final acceptances close at 4:30pm (AEDT) with the Victorian Racing Club (VRC) committee to confirm the final field by 6pm.
The 2014 Melbourne cup barrier draw then takes place live from 7pm.
Positions 1 – 22 in the Melbourne Cup starting line-up are all but confirmed with Caulfield Cup winner Admire Rakti number one on the ballot as the 58.5k top weight.
The Japanese-trained champ is also the clear $4.80 favourite in the latest Melbourne Cup odds at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Also at single figures to win the Melbourne Cup are Kris Lees’ beaten Caulfield Cup favourite Lucia Valentina ($7) and German stayer Protectionist ($7.50) who caught the eye when fourth in the Herbert Power Stakes in his Australian debut.
So who are the horses on the cusp of a Melbourne Cup start?
- 23rd Unchain My Heart (David Hayes & Tom Dabernig) – Scratched from the Lexus Stakes today and needs the Lexus Stakes and Mackinnon Stakes results to go her way to remain a runner
- 24th Shoreman (Saab Hasan) – If he runs 2nd or 3rd in the Lexus will move above Unchain My Heart in the Melbourne Cup order of entry based on prizemoney
- Other Lexus Runners: La Amistad (25th), Caravan Rolls On (26th), Big Memory (27th), Let’s Make Adeal (31st), Wish Come True (33rd), Like A Carousel (34th), Signoff (35th) and Thunderbird One (38th)
- 36th Amralah (Robert Hickmott) – If he places 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the Mackinnon Stakes will move above Unchain My Heart and gets a run if connections pay the final acceptance fee
Stay tuned to Races.com.au throughout Victoria Derby Day to see who is in and who is out of the 2014 Melbourne Cup field and don’t forget to place your bets for today and next Tuesday online at Ladbrokes.com.au for the guaranteed best odds!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.