The Joe Pride-trained sprint star Eduardo is red...
One of the two Group 1 Flemington races on ‘Super Saturday’ this weekend is the Newmarket Handicap 2017, a comprehensive form guide and betting preview of the sprint classic detailed below.
A final field of 13 short-distance specialists face off in Flemington Race 7 at 3:55pm (AEDT) in this season’s $1.25 million Group 1 Lexus Newmarket Handicap (1200m) with betting at Ladbrokes.com.au firmly led by the rails-drawn Spieth.
The Bryce Heys-trained four-year-old is out to atone after two devastating close and luckless seconds in elite level company.
In the spring he went down a nostril flare over this track and distance in the Darley Classic, then first-up the Thorn Park stallion got held up in a crucial stage of the Group 1 Black Caviar Lightning (1000m) only to finish second best behind Terravista.
The bookies say it will be third time lucky from barrier one with Hugh Bowman aboard the $3.50 favourite in Newmarket Handicap betting.
Four other runners sit at single-figures in the latest Newmarket Handicap odds including Mick Price’s dual Group 1 winning three-year-old Extreme Choice ($5) in the outside barrier (13) and fellow colt Star Turn ($6.50) who comes off a Lightning Stakes third for Hawkes Racing.
Below we take a comprehensive look at the Newmarket Handicap form guide, betting history, facts and race statistics to uncover the value in the markets this weekend in Melbourne.
2017 Newmarket Handicap Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Newmarket Handicap winner was the Robbie Griffiths-trained The Quarterback (2016) who came off a sixth in the Oakleigh Plate, jumped from barrier 7 (of 9) with Craig Newitt aboard on 52kg for a $21 upset
- #3 The Quarterback ($26) returns chasing back-to-back Newmarket Handicap wins for the first time since Razor Sharp (1982-83)
- He is first-up on Saturday and the last horse to win the Newmarket Handicap first-up was Polycrates way back in 1917
- The other first-up runners out to break the century-long drought are #5 Voodoo Lad and #12 Redkirk Warrior
- Robbie Griffiths (3-1-0-0) is out to go back-to-back as a trainer for the first time since Peter Moody with Wanted (2010) and Black Caviar (2011)
- The other previous Newmarket Handicap winning trainers with a runner this weekend are: David Hayes (21-1-1-1) with #4 Sheidel ($9) and #13 Redkirk Warrior ($34); Mick Price (7-1-0-0) with #6 Extreme Choice ($5); and Chris Waller (7-1-0-0) with #11 Counterattack ($31)
- Last year’s winning jockey Craig Newitt (12-3-1-2) rides #3 The Quarterback chasing successive wins in the race by a hoop for the first time since Luke Nolen (2010-11) and his fourth overall win in the Newmarket Handicap
- The other previous Newmarket Handicap winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Corey Brown (4-1-0-0) on #1 Terravista, Damien Oliver (21-3-3-1) on #4 Sheidel, Stephen Baster (18-2-1-0) on #11 Counterattack and Joao Moreira (1-1-0-0) on #6 Extreme Choice
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) is the most successful (since 1983) producing six Newmarket Handicap winners; #3 The Quarterback is drawn the same gun Newmarket Handicap barrier for his title defence
- Barriers 6 and 13 are the only two relevant to the 2017 Newmarket Handicap field to have not produced a winner in that time; #8 Tivaci (6) and #6 Extreme Choice (13) are out to break the drought from those gates on Saturday
- Two of the past six Newmarket Handicap winners came off a lead-up win
- The last start winners (not first-up) in the mix this year are: #1 Terravista (Group 1 Lightning Stakes, 1000m, Flemington, 18/02/2017); #4 Sheidel (Group 1 Oakleigh Plate, 1100m, Caulfield, 25/02/2017), #8 Tivaci (Listed Kensington Stakes, 1000m, Flemington, 28/01/2017) and #10 Super Cash (Group 2 Rubiton Stakes, 1100m, Caulfield, 11/02/2017)
- #1 Terravista ($12) chases the Lightning Stakes – Newmarket Handicap double last achieved by Black Caviar (2011) and the 14th in history to do so
- The Lightning Stakes has produced four of the past six Newmarket Handicap winners and 16 of the past 30 – all but two in the past three decades having finished in the money
- The other Lightning Stakes graduates racing this weekend are: Spieth (2nd), Star Turn (3rd), Illustrious Lad (5th) and Counterattack (8th)
- #4 Sheidel ($9) is after the Oakleigh Plate – Newmarket Handicap double most recently completed by Lankan Rupee (2014)
- In the past decade five of the 10 Newmarket Handicap winners came off an Oakleigh Plate run including The Quarterback (6th) last year
- The other Oakleigh Plate graduate in the field on Saturday is Extreme Choice (3rd)
- In the past 10 years four favourites in Newmarket Handicap betting have saluted for the punters – most recently Hay List (2012)
- #2 Spieth ($3.50) is out to be the next punters’ pick to get the job done in the Newmarket Handicap results 2017
- Two mares have beaten home the boys in the Newmarket Handicap in the past 10 years; the mares in the mix this year are #4 Sheidel and #10 Super Cash
- Four three-year-olds have won the Newmarket Handicap in the past 10 years; the 3YOs in the race this year are #6 Extreme Choice and #9 Star Turn
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #6 Extreme Choice (57%) followed by #4 Sheidel (56%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #5 Voodoo Lad (94%) followed by #2 Spieth (80%) and #9 Star Turn (80%)
- Horses with the best winning record at the Flemington track are: #3 The Quarterback (13-5-0-4), #1 Terravista (6-2-2-2), #7 Illustrious Lad (6-2-1-0), #8 Tivaci (8-2-2-1) and #2 Spieth (3-1-2-0)
- Over the distance (1200m) the horses with the best record are: #1 Terravista (12-5-0-3), #3 The Quarterback (13-4-1-3), #4 Sheidel (8-4-2-0), #7 Illustrious Lad (9-4-2-0), #5 Voodoo Lad (7-3-3-1), #2 Spieth (5-2-2-0), #8 Tivaci (3-2-1-0) and #11 Counterattack (9-2-2-2)
Stay tuned for our exclusive Newmarket Handicap 2017 tips and best bets, checking out the full race form guide provided by Ladbrokes.com.au in the meantime below.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.