There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
This weekend punters will be treated to a class edition of the classic Doomben 10,000, a detailed form guide preview and betting analysis for which is detailed below.
Running as Doomben Race 8 in Brisbane on Saturday the $650,000 Group 1 Doomben 10,000 (1350m) this year features a final field of 15 hopefuls, the top fancy for which is the widely-drawn Your Song.
Anthony Cummings’ BTC Cup winning three-year-old is a class colt and as such pays $3 at the top of the Doomben 10,000 odds at bookmaker.com.au.
Their BTC Cup victory over a similar field of rivals was certainly impressive, five lengths separating them and the runner-up Rain Affair, but that was on a bog track from a decent gate.
Saturday Doomben Racecourse is likely to be much firmer than the Heavy (9) they had at Eagle Farm and Your Song also must overcome the outside barrier 15 draw.
The other top fancies in the Doomben 10,000 betting markets are then Peter Snowden’s fellow Sydney-based three-year-old Group 1 winner Epaulette ($5), the Rob Heathcote-trained Buffering ($4.60) still chasing that elusive elite level trophy and brave BTC Cup runner-up Rain Affair running in their fifth consecutive Group 1 race this time in.
So are these the horses to back in your Doomben 10,000 bets?
Or is there more value to be had backing a double-digit contender such as the reigning champion Sea Siren ($18), her stablemate Steps In Time ($14) or the rails-drawn Better Than Ready ($14) set for a prime run after their third in the BTC Cup?
The team at Races.com.au have done the hard work to answer that for you by going over the Doomben 10,000 field, form guide and betting history to come up with the below must know facts and stats on the race.
2013 Doomben 10,000 Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben 10,000 winner was the John O’Shea-trained Sea Siren who came off a BTC Cup victory, jumped from barrier 7 (of 16) and was ridden by Jim Cassidy
- This year #9 Sea Siren ($18) is back to defend her title but her lead-up form is less impressive after she ran eighth in the BTC Cup, drawn wider in gate nine with Cassidy in the saddle once again
- The reigning champ’s 2013 Doomben 10,000 barrier (9) has produced two previous winners
- O’Shea will also be represented this year by #14 Steps In Time ($14)
- This year’s BTC Cup winner after the same double as Sea Siren 12 months ago meanwhile is #8 Your Song ($3) who is also the top fancy
- #8 Your Song however has drawn barrier 15 which has never produced a Doomben 10,000 winner
- #8 Your Song is also looking to become the fourth Doomben 10,000 winner in the past 11 years to salute for the punters; eight favourites saluting since 1983
- In the last 10 years only two three-year-olds have won the Doomben 10,000 with Bel Esprit (2003) and Sea Siren (2012); there are three three-year-olds in the mix this year with the favourite #8 Your Song and $5 second fancy #10 Epaulette and #15 Better Than Ready
- Only one four-year-old has been successful during that time too – Undue (2006) – with horses of that age looking to break the hoodoo this year being #3 Manawanui ($21), #9 Sea Siren ($18), #12 Punch On ($81) and #13 Pane In The Glass ($201)
- The other top chances coming via the BTC Cup are then #4 Rain Affair (2nd), #15 Better Than Ready (3rd) and #2 Buffering (4th); the BTC Cup has produced six of the past 10 Doomben 10,000 winners
- Female horses have won the past three editions of the Doomben 10,000 with mares Beaded (2010) and Hot Danish (2011) and Sea Siren as a filly last year; this year the girls will vie for a quartet with #9 Sea Siren (4yo M), #11 Yosei (5yoM), #12 Punch On (4yoM), #13 Pane In The Glass (4yoM) and #14 Steps In Time (5yoM)
- The most successful Doomben 10,000 barrier in the past 30 years meanwhile is gate one with six winners; this year the inside alley belongs to #15 Better Than Ready ($14)
- Read a full 2013 Doomben 10,000 Barrier Draw Facts & Stats post by following the link
- Horses with previous winning form at Doomben are #2 Buffering (7-3-1-2), #9 Sea Siren (2-2-0-0), #15 Better Than Ready (4-2-0-1) and #12 Punch On (10-2-1-1)
- Over the distance the horses with the best form are #14 Steps In Time (9-4-0-1), #1 Rangirangdoo (8-2-2-0), #3 Manawanui (3-2-1-0), #4 Rain Affair (4-1-2-0), #5 Spirit Of Boom (8-2-1-0), #8 Your Song (3-2-0-0), #9 Sea Siren (3-1-1-0), #10 Epaulette (3-2-0-0) and #12 Punch On (6-2-0-1)
Stay tuned for our inside Doomben 10,000 tips to be published later in the week.
Already selected the winning Doomben 10,000 trifecta based on the above? Then head over to bookmaker.com.au and lock in your selections online at the guaranteed best prices!
2013 Doomben 10,000 Field & Form Guide
Doomben Race 8 – 3:40pm (AEST) – 25/05/2013
|1.||RANGIRANGDOO||C J Waller||Tim Clark||14||59||8yoG||28||$68,325||33: 10 10 2||30.30%||66.67%||4202×5|
|2.||BUFFERING||R L Heathcote||Damian Browne||12||59||5yoG||14||$70,653||32: 12 7 4||37.50%||71.88%||168×14|
|3.||MANAWANUI||R T Leemon||Glyn Schofield||10||59||4yoG||28||$97,113||14: 6 3 1||42.86%||71.43%||25x0x5|
|4.||RAIN AFFAIR||Joseph Pride||Christian Reith||5||59||5yoG||14||$63,174||21: 11 5 0||52.38%||76.19%||8×4422|
|5.||SPIRIT OF BOOM||T J Gollan||Michael Cahill||13||59||5yoH||14||$26,492||38: 6 8 5||15.79%||50.00%||x36626|
|6.||MY QUEST FOR PEACE||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||11||59||5yoH||200||$37,104||13: 5 1 2||38.46%||61.54%||01150x|
|7.||JETSET LAD||J R Wheeler||Jonathan Riddell||2||59||5yoG||14||$6,819||35: 5 7 6||14.29%||51.43%||006337|
|8.||YOUR SONG||A J Cummings||Hugh Bowman||15||57||3yoC||14||$63,883||7: 3 1 2||42.86%||85.71%||1283×1|
|9.||SEA SIREN||J A O’shea||Jimmy Cassidy||9||57||4yoM||14||$110,845||14: 6 2 1||42.86%||64.29%||29×858|
|10.||EPAULETTE||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||4||57||3yoC||28||$128,615||10: 4 2 2||40.00%||80.00%||113×26|
|11.||YOSEI||S J Webb||Michelle Payne||7||57||5yoM||14||$37,385||34: 4 1 4||11.76%||26.47%||040×30|
|12.||PUNCH ON||P J Balzen||Paul Hammersley||8||57||4yoM||21||$44,526||19: 3 2 4||15.79%||47.37%||x78x03|
|13.||PANE IN THE GLASS||John Thompson||Chris Munce||3||57||4yoM||21||$33,167||21: 4 3 3||19.05%||47.62%||59×637|
|14.||STEPS IN TIME||J A O’shea||Nash Rawiller||6||57||5yoM||63||$37,821||17: 8 1 1||47.06%||58.82%||78×114|
|15.||BETTER THAN READY||K M Schweida||Ric Mc Mahon||1||57||3yoC||14||$33,455||11: 6 1 2||54.55%||81.82%||x21513|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.