A number of the top-fancied mares to take out...
Australian’s love to bet on the horses and races like the Melbourne Cup have become part of the nation’s identity. The pace, intensity and power of the contenders and the events are a huge draw card for millions of eager punters and racing fans. But when placing a wager on the races, what are the best racing tips? On this page we will list a few of the best racing tips that will help you succeed in your thoroughbred betting and increase your chances of picking the winner in the Melbourne Cup or any other horserace.
Racing Tips – Study the Statistics:
Probably the biggest betting tip when it comes to the races is to study the statistics. Wagering on the races is not about luck, and blindly betting on a horse because of its name or colours is definitely not the best way to go! The internet has allowed punters access to all the facts on the horses, jockeys, trainers and owners and their career statistics that you need when placing a bet. Studying the past record of the entries is the best way to place a well-informed wager.
Statistics and information to find out about the horse you wish to bet on include:
– Age, Sex, and Breed: These factors are important when you look into the statistics and winning trends of the race itself that you are betting on. For example, find out what age the majority of winners have been, whether fillies or colts have dominated in recent years and whether the horse was sired from a past champion in the race.
– Number of wins from starts: Discovering the percentage of wins the horse has seen is a good indication of how they have been travelling.
– Recent form in lead-up races: Studying the recent form of the entries is one of the best racing tips. It is essential to know what level of fitness the horse is at when starting the race and whether they performed strongly in races considered a good guide for the event you are betting on. Also look back at the past winners of the race and see what events they contested in the lead-up to their victory. Has your runner followed a similar campaign? How have they fared?
– Record at the track: Some tracks call for a runner with past experience on the field. The turns and straights of each track are different and some horses find they cannot handle the conditions of certain racecourses. That is why it is a good racing tip to look at horses that have performed well on the track before, as this can give them a considerable advantage over runners that have never raced there.
– Experience and form in races of the same distance: Not all horses can last the distance of races like the 3200m Melbourne Cup. Similarly, many horses that are elite stayers will not perform well in sprint races as they take time to build their lead and momentum. That is why it is always a good tip to look at entries that have performed consistently in races of a similar distance to the one you are wagering on.
– Running style & Barrier Position: Finding out the running style of the horse is very important as certain styles will suit different starting positions. There is no point backing a horse who races best upfront from the start, when they’ve been allocated a back starting position that will likely see them boxed in and unable to get their gallop up. It can also be a good idea to look at winning trends with the barrier number, which barrier numbers have the most victors started from?
All of these factors have a huge influence over the horse’s, and therefore your, chance of success.
Racing Tips – Jockeys & Trainers:
Another key racing tip is to examine the career statistics of the not only the horses, but their trainers and jockeys as well. A large percentage of the horse’s chance of success is related to the way they are trained and ridden. Backing horses that have a leading trainer with a high-profile and proven record of producing winners is a good tip. For example, there are usually one or two trainers who dominate a race over the years like Bart Cummings in the Melbourne Cup. Similarly, the ace hoops who have ridden a number of winners in races of a similar style and conditions often see victory.
Racing Tips – Best Bet Types:
But betting on the races isn’t always about simply picking the winner. There are many racing tips that are all about increasing the amount of money you win. For wagers that pay extremely generous dividends to the winners, try the more Exotic bet types like Trifectas and Quinellas. Also look at not only Win bets, but Place bets as well. If you find a runner that you think will not necessarily win but will finish within the top three at good odds, go for a Place bet. Another good racing tip is to try wagers like doubles, if you believe a horse has an excellent chance of winning in two nominated races than a double bet is the way to go. For a comprehensive list detailing the different wagers you can place on the races, simply visit our betting types page.
And remember, although novice punters often want to bet on the favourite every time, there is often excellent money to be made by backing the outsiders. The longer a horse’s odds are the more you will win if they succeed. So look out for horses that have flown under the radar a bit, consistent runners who are improving their form that the bookies may have missed. Races like the Melbourne Cup have a history of upset wins by outsiders, so you never know!