A capacity field of 14 runners plus two emergencies is set to line-up at Rosehill this Saturday for the Group 1 The Galaxy (1100m). Noel Mayfield-Smith scratched Famous Seamus from the race on Thursday morning, which means first emergency Atmospherical has taken the gelding’s place.
Six of the now-16 potential runners are offering single figure odds in the betting at Ladbrokes.com.au, however defending champion Tiger Tees is the $51 roughie after finishing last in the Group 1 Canterbury Stakes (1300m) on March 7.
Leading the betting is the Team Hawkes-trained Deep Field at $4.60 yet the horse has seen a big drift from his opening price of $3.80.
Deep Field definitely has form on his side after finishing third behind Lankan Rupee and Brazen Beau in the Group 1 Lightning Stakes (1000m) on February 21, however he will have to overcome a wide start from the outside gate, which has put a few punters offside.
The four-year-old also failed to win the Group 3 Maureen McCarten Stakes (1100m) last Saturday despite being $1.50 odds-on favourite to beat the relatively easy field, especially compared to the world’s highest-rated sprinter Lankan Rupee and eventual Group 1 Newmarket Handicap (1200m) winner Brazen Beau.
Still Deep Field has placed in all seven of his career starts and has a great record over 1100 metres, winning four of his five starts.
Deep Field faces some tough competition for the 2015 Galaxy title, including from five other single figure hopefuls:
- #9 Rubick ($5.50) – Gerald Ryan’s three-year-old colt is the market mover of the field after his price firmed from $6.50. Rubick will enjoy a good start from barrier four with Kerrin McEvoy as he looks to avenge his unlucky run in the Group 2 Challenge Stakes (1000m) on March 7 that saw the colt get stuck on the rails.
- #3 Miracles Of Life ($6.50) – Peter & Paul Snowden’s four-year-old mare won the Challenge Stakes by an easy two and a quarter lengths and also dead heated in the Group 2 Caulfield Sprint (1100m) back in October but will need to overcome a wide start from barrier 14.
- #17 Kuro ($7) – Joseph Pride’s second runner in the Galaxy isn’t even guaranteed a place in the field as second emergency but is still one of the six single figure hopefuls. Kuro has won two of his four starts over the trip and earned a minor placing in the Group 1 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m) back in November. He will also carry the minimum weight of 52kg if he makes the field.
- #4 Sweet Idea ($8.50) – the Gai Waterhouse-trained mare is set to resume in the Galaxy after running second in the Group 1 Myer Classic (1600m) on November 1. Sweet Idea didn’t run over 1100 metres at all during the spring but has finished in the first two on her two previous attempts. Will jump from barrier 12 with Blake Shinn.
- #7 Knoydart ($9.50) – rounding out the single figure odds is the John O’Shea-trained Knoydart. The five-year-old gelding will enjoy a good jump from barrier two with James McDonald to ride.
Take advantage of the Ladbrokes.com.au Best Tote or SP + 20% promotion for the 2015 The Galaxy and you’ll receive an additional 20% on your winnings!