Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday in Brisbane the racing is headlined by the Doomben Cup 2014, the Races.com.au’s insider form guide analysis and betting preview for which is found right here.
Due to jump as Doomben Race 7 at 3:40pm, this year’s $500,000 Titan Energy Services Doomben Cup (2000m) features a small field of just 10 hopefuls.
Of those it is shaping up as a tight Doomben Cup betting battle between two runners with Streama and Leebaz the top fancies.
The Guy Walter-trained Stratum mare Streama is currently winning the love of the punters at $4.20 after the triple Group 1 champ beat them home in the Group 2 A.D. Hollindale Stakes (1800m) at the Gold Coast last start.
Leebaz ($4.50) meanwhile also comes off a win, the Team Hawkes-trained Zabeel four-year-old saluting in the sixth win from their nine start career to date in the Group 3 Hawkesbury Gold Cup (1600m) on May 3.
Also at single figures in the Doomben Cup odds are then early market mover Akzar ($5) who won the Warnambool Cup last start, the Chris Waller-trained Junoob ($6) on the improve and Hollindale Stakes runner-up Mr O’Ceirin ($8).
That’s what the bookies are saying, but to help you sort the pretenders from the genuine contenders below we take a look at the full Doomben Cup field, form guide and betting history.
2014 Doomben Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben Cup winner was the Chris Waller-trained import Beaten Up who came off a second at Hawkesbury in the Rowley Mile and jumped from barrier one (of 13) with Leith Innes in the saddle
- This year Waller shoots for back-to-back wins and his third Doomben Cup win in total with #5 Junoob ($6) and #1 Moriarty ($11) drawn in barriers three and seven respectively
- Last year’s winning barrier (1) on Saturday belongs to the Peter Moody-trained #9 Floria ($26) who is out to become the fourth winner from the gate since 1983
- The most successful Doomben Cup barriers in that time meanwhile are 2 and 11 producing four winners each; as there are only 10 runners on Saturday the horse drawn in gate two is #7 Leebaz ($4.50) who like Beaten Up last year comes via a run at Hawkesbury
- There are three last start winners in the mix this year with #4 Akzar (Listed Warnambool Cup, 2350m, Warnambool, 01/05/2014), #7 Leebaz (Group 3 Hawkesbury Gold Cup, 1600, Hawkesbury, 03/05/2014) and #8 Streama (Group 2 AD Hollindale Stakes, 1800m, Gold Coast, 03/05/2014)
- The Hollindale Stakes has been the best guide to the Doomben Cup in recent years producing eight winners since 2002
- Of those four completed the double with Metal Bender (2010), Above Deck (2006), Bush Padre (2003) and Mr Bureaucrat (2003)
- Males have the best record in the race with just four mares winning with Cinque Cento (2007) the most recent; this year three mares will look to be the next with #8 Streama ($4.20), #9 Floria ($26) and #10 Angel Of Mercy ($21)
- The top Doomben Cup jockey since 1983 with three wins from 11 rides is Jim Cassidy who shoots for his fourth win this year with #6 Slow Pace ($15)
- #8 Streama is the current favourite and just three of the past 10 favourites have saluted
- The horse with the best Win Rate of the field is #7 Leebaz (67%) followed by #5 Junoob (35%), #2 Fat Al (33%), #3 Mr O’Ceirin (33%) and #8 Streama (27%)
- The highest Place Percentage also belongs to #7 Leebaz (89%) followed by #8 Streama (67%), #5 Junoob (62%) and #4 Akzar (57%)
- The only horse with a previous start at the track is #10 Angel Of Mercy (2-1-0-0) who won over the mile here two years ago
- Over the distance (2000m) those with the best record are: #3 Mr O’Ceirin (8-5-1-0), #4 Junoob (10-5-2-1), #4 Akzar (18-4-7-1), #1 Moriarty (13-3-2-2), #6 Slow Pace (5-1-1-1) and #2 Fat Al (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our exclusive Doomben Cup 2014 betting tips shortly.
In the meantime check out the bellow form guide for the race, then head to Ladbrokes.com.au to open your account and get ready to access their juicy Best Tote or SP + 20% markets on the Doomben Cup for Saturday!
2014 Doomben Cup Form Guide
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.