While most of the pre-race betting has been on in-form three-year-old Fiveandahalfstar the second best fancied in the 2013 Ranvet Stakes betting is Silent Achiever, so can Roger James’ Kiwi invader beat home the gun youngster?
Having run an excellent second in the Australian Cup last start, and getting in here on just 54.kg, Victoria Derby winner Fiveandahalfstar is the $3.10 top pick to take out Saturday’s $400,000 Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) at Rosehill Gardens.
Hot on his heels in the Ranvet Stakes odds meanwhile is then $3.90 second elect Silent Achiever who will jump from barrier seven with James McDonald in the saddle.
The four-year-old daughter of O’Reilly is a Group 1 winner back home having taken out the NZ Derby last year and has been racing competitively both in New Zealand and Australia ever since.
Some of her more notable runs over the past 12 months include her Rosehill Guineas third last autumn, her Group 2 Crystal Mile win at Moonee Valley on Cox Plate Day and her last start fourth when coming within a length of Shoot Out in the Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes (1600m) at Warwick Farm.
She gets some extra distance on Saturday and is proving a genuine WFA performer, but can Silent Achiever score another Group 1 here?
#12 Silent Achiever – Horse Form
- Barrier: 8 (into 7)
- Jockey: James McDonald
- Trainer: Roger James
- Owners: Mr K J Hickman
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by O’Reilly out of Winning Spree
- Career: 14-6-2-2
- Win: 42.86%
- Place: 71.43%
- Last 6: 414×24
- Prize Money: $710,442
- Track: 1-0-0-1
- Distance: 3-1-0-1
- Current 2013 Ranvet Stakes Odds: $3.90
Yes – Silent Achiever Will be the 2013 Ranvet Stakes Winner
- Has had one run at Rosehill when an excellent third in last year’s Rosehill Guineas
- That was also over Saturday’s 2000m which looks ideal for her
- This class of horse holds no fears as she enjoyed a strong win over Rangirangdoo in Melbourne in the Group 2 Crystal Mile (1600m) during the spring
- Regular rider James McDonald is on – he rode her to the NZ Derby win and for her opening two this time in
- Chipping Norton fourth was an excellent run and she will have improved on that
- Gets 400m more on Saturday and will be right up there
- One of the better win rates in this field, third best with 42.86%
- Place Rate is the second highest too with 71.43% so she’s got the consistency
- Fillies and mares have won the Ranvet 12 times
No – Silent Achiever Cannot Win the Ranvet Stakes 2013
- Needs to beat some genuine contenders including the favourite #13 Fiveandahalfstar ($3.10) and the reigning Ranvet Stakes winner #1 Manighar ($7.50)
- A mare hasn’t won the race since Tuesday Joy back in 2008
Think Silent Achiever has what it takes to sneak past the winners’ post first on Saturday?