Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the key events on Rosehill’s bumper autumn line-up this Saturday is the 2013 Ranvet Stakeswhere a class field of staying types will face off, many heading towards The BMW on Golden Slipper Day, and to help you back the winner below are our insider tips on the weight-for-age classic.
There are currently 11 gallopers still in contention for the $400,000 Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) with two early withdrawals – #9 Single and #10 Mourinho.
Of the remaining hopefuls it is the young gun in the field, three-year-old Fiveandahalfstar, who is topping the Ranvet Stakes betting odds at $3.10.
They have the right weight (54.5kg), come off a brave Australian Cup second which produced last year’s winner Manighar and are a Group 1 winner from the spring in the Victoria Derby.
Their biggest dangers according to the bookies are then last year’s NZ Derby winner Silent Achiever ($3.90) and the defending Ranvet Stakes champ Manighar ($7.50) who hasn’t won a race since last autumn’s The BMW.
But are these dominant three the best bets to make? Or is there value to be had this Ranvet Stakes from a double figure outsider such as Auckland Cup champ Sangster ($12), former Melbourne Cup place-getter Maluckyday ($14) or Doomben Cup winner last winter Mawingo ($17)?
#2 Sangster ($12)
- Should get a nice run from barrier six
- In flying form having won their past three on the trot including dual Group 1 victories back home in NZ
- Comes off a cruisy 2.5 length victory in the Auckland Cup over the two miles
- Drops back to 2000m which will suit as they won the Group 1 International Stakes over this distance two back
- Failed at this track and distance in the Rosehill Guineas as a three-year-old last autumn but has improved leaps and bounds since then
- Winner of the 2011 Victoria Derby too
#12 Silent Achiever ($3.90)
- Third in the Rosehill Guineas last year at her only run here
- 2000m third-up will suit
- James McDonald’s rides again
- Past NZ Derby winner
- Comes off game fourth in Chipping Norton
- Improve off that getting up in distance
- Good win rate (42.86%) and place percentage (71.43%)
- Mares have a decent record in the race with 12 wins
#13 Fiveandahalfstar ($3.10)
- Weight advantage under WFA with 54.5kg
- Peter Robl is on and won successive Sydney races with them last prep
- Most recent Victoria Derby winner
- Three length winner at Rosehill over 1800m when last at this track
- Gate four will give them the run of the race and produced last year’s winner Manighar
- Manighar came off an Australian Cup win and Fiveandahalfstar was a very close second in tha trace this year
- Good record from the 3YO’s with 23 previous winners
Roughie We Like
#6 Kelinni ($18)
- Really likes Rosehill (3-1-2-0)
- Ability to get ahead from Gate 1
- Ace jockey in Nash Rawiller riding
- Will improve on their Chipping Norton ninth getting up in distance
- Apollo form before that hard to consider as was a mud track
- Fourth in the Melbourne Cup so class factor is there
- Thrived in Sydney before that when second in The Metropolitan
- Consistent 67% Win & Place rate
Fancy taking our selections and want to access the best Ranvet Stakes markets? Head to bookmaker.com.au now where you will get the right price on every horse in every race this autumn!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.