The punters are sticking with the locally-trained favourite Hartnell as the one to beat in this afternoon’s Melbourne Cup 2016 run as the famous Flemington Race 7, but what does the Cup history say about the top fancy getting the job done in Melbourne Cup betting?
All 24 horses remain in contention for the iconic $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m), due to stop the nation for three minutes at 3:00pm (AEDT).
Following his gun form this campaign and coming back from weight-for-age to a nice handicap of 56kg in the world’s richest handicap, Hartnell sits top of the Melbourne Cup odds at $5.50 through Ladbrokes.com.au – home of Odds Boost.
After the upset last year with $101 roughie Prince Of Penzance, is it worth sticking with this year’s favourite for Godolphin and John O’Shea?
To help you decide whether to back or sack Hartnell to lead the Melbourne Cup results today below we look at the Melbourne Cup history and how the favourites have fared.
2016 Melbourne Cup History: How The Favourites Have Fared
- Fiorente ($7 in 2013) was the last Melbourne Cup favourite to salute for the punters
- He was the first since Makybe Diva (2004 & 2005) for the final two of her three Melbourne Cup wins
- 34 of the 155 editions of the Melbourne Cup saw the favourite or equal favourite win – a 21.93% strike rate
- The average starting price for a Melbourne Cup winner in the past decade is $24
- The biggest upsets in that time were Viewed ($41 in 2008) and Prince Of Penzance ($101 in 2015)
- Horses closest to the $24 average winning Melbourne Cup Odds (since 2006) this year are: #9 Almoonqith ($26), #23 Qewy ($26) and #5 Exospheric ($21)
- 6 favourites have won the Melbourne Cup (since 1983) and four of those were mares
- 1 favourite has run second in the Melbourne Cup Exacta (since 1983)
- 2 favourites have run third in the Melbourne Cup Trifecta (since 1983)
- 3 favourites have finished off the Melbourne Cup First Four (since 1983)
- 17 favourites have finished out of the money in the Melbourne Cup results (since 1983)
- Let’s Elope ($4 in 1991) is the shortest-priced Melbourne Cup favourite to win (since 1983)
- So You Think (3rd at $3 in 2010) is the shortest-priced Melbourne Cup favourite to finish in the money without winning
Think Hartnell is the one to beat and the deserving Melbourne Cup 2016 favourite? Back him now at boosted odds with Ladbrokes.com.au and Odds Boost!
Melbourne Cup Favourites: Results (Since 1983)
|Finishing Place||How The Favourites Fared|
|1||FIORENTE ($7), MAKYBE DIVA ($4.50), MAKYBE DIVA ($3.50), JEZABEEL ($7), MIGHT AND POWER ($4.50), LET’S ELOPE ($4)|
|3||SO YOU THINK ($3), ROSEDALE ($6)|
|4||AMERICAIN ($5), VINNIE ROE ($5.50), KAAPSTAD WAY ($5.50)|
|6||ALCOPOP ($4.75), CHIAMARE ($7)|
|7||MAD RUSH ($5.50), VINTAGE CROP ($6)|
|8||MASTER O’REILLY ($3.75), SKY HEIGHTS ($6), MR. LOMONDY ($6)|
|10||OUR SOPHIA ($5.50)|
|13||FAME GAME ($5)|
|14||DUNADEN ($7), OUR POMPEII ($6)|
|15||OSCAR SCHINDLER ($5), EMPIRE ROSE ($5.50)|
|17||SKY HEIGHTS ($4.50), DOUBLE TRIGGER ($4.50)|
|22||ADMIRE RAKTI ($5.50)|