Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Mutual Regard is one of the best fancied of the international raiders in this year’s Melbourne Cup 2014 field and the money is coming for Johnny Murtagh’s Ebor Handicap winner get the job done for the punters following the money trail.
Since Ladbrokes.com.au opened betting on the final field for this year’s $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) only three horses have firmed in their price to win Tuesday’s ‘Race That Stops a Nation’.
Eleven of the remaining 23 Melbourne Cup horses, Sea Moon an early scratching on Monday morning, are trained outside of Australia or New Zealand including the $5.50 favourite Admire Rakti from Japan.
Hernando six-year-old Mutual Regard is another, the gelding prepared in Ireland by former ace jockey Murtagh.
Mutual Regard opened at $13 in the Melbourne Cup betting markets but has firmed into $11 while Murtagh’s other chance Royal Diamond is a big drifter out from $51 to $81 to score an upset Melbourne Cup result.
While the better fancied of the stable mates is yet to race down under, Murtagh has lots of respect for his last start Ebor Handicap winner over 2800m at York.
He also has mutual respect for the jockey riding the horse of the same name with triple Melbourne Cup winning hoop Damien Oliver after back-to-back wins following his victory aboard the Gai Waterhouse-trained Fiorente 12 months ago.
So can Ollie make it a quartet in the world’s richest handicap with Mutual Regard drawn well in barrier 12?
Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #11 Mutual Regard
- Barrier: 12
- Weight: 55kg
- Jockey: Damien Oliver
- Trainer: Johnny Murtagh
- Owners: Mr W A Tinkler
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Hernando (FR) from Hidden Charm (IRE)
- Career: 17-7-4-3
- Win: 41%
- Place: 82%
- Last 6: 2x131x
- Prize Money: $379,997
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 5-2-2-0
- Current 2014 Melbourne Cup Odds: $11
Yes – Mutual Regard Can Win the 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Nice mid-field barrier 12 draw giving the horse and jockey options of where to settle in the run
- Well weighted on 55kg which is a notable drop from the 59kg he carried to victory in the Ebor Handicap on August 23
- Damien Oliver is one of the most successful Melbourne Cup winning jockeys in recent history with three winners since 1983
- Oliver also rode last year’s champion Fiorente so is shooting for back-to-back Loving Trophies
- Is the right age with six-year-olds having won the past four editions of the Melbourne Cup
- Has one of the most impressive Win (41%) and Place (82%) rates of the field
- Awesome record over the two miles (5-2-2-0)
- Is the early Melbourne Cup betting market mover
No – Mutual Regard Won’t be the Melbourne Cup Winner 2014
- Barrier 12 has not produced a Melbourne Cup winner in over 30 years
- Murtagh has never trained a Melbourne Cup winner
- Yet to race down under
- No European since Vintage Crop (1993) has come off no lead-up run down under to win the Melbourne Cup
Think Mutual Regard can get the job done on Tuesday?
Then now is the time to back him at Ladbrokes.com.au before the markets firm further. So visit them now and don’t forget to also put down your Megafecta first seven selections for your chance at $10 million in prize money!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.