Morphettville Racecourse comes to life again this Saturday for the South Australian Derby 2014, a form guide analysis and betting preview for which is listed below.
A full field of 16 confirmed starters plus three emergencies makes up the field for this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Sportingbet South Australian Derby (2500m).
Of those five are at single figures to win with the current South Australian Derby betting markets led by the Gai Waterhouse-trained Order Of The Sun at $3.60.
The Encosta De Lago colt enjoyed a massive seven length victory over 2800m at Flemington in the VRC St Leger last Friday so is tipped to handle the 2500m in Adelaide and all their rivals this weekend with another win.
They’re followed in the markets by another last start winner with the Ken Keys-trained Sebring gelding Bring Something ($4.50) shooting for their third on the trot after winning by six and a half at Cranbourne and then taking out Caulfield’s Galilee Series Final last time out.
Also under $10 in the markets are then last Saturday’s Chairman’s Stakes winner Gamblin’ Guru ($8), the Anthony Cummings-trained ATC Derby graduate Best Case ($8) and third in the Chairman’s Gravitational ($9).
That’s what the bookies say but what about the South Australian Derby 2014 form guide and betting history?
2014 South Australian Derby Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s South Australian Derby winner was the Matt Laurie-trained Escado who came off a second at Geelong from the Friday before to win from barrier one with Ben Melham in the saddle
- Horses coming off a win this year are #1 Gamblin’ Guru (Group 2 Chairman’s Handicap, 2000m, Morphettville, 26/04/2014), #4 Order Of The Sun (Listed VRC St Ledger, 2800m, Flemington, 25/04/2014), #8 Bring Something (Listed Galilee Series Final, 2400m, Caulfield, 12/04/2014), #10 Majestic Moment (Hcp, 2200m, Balaklava, 16/04/2014) and #18e Word Of Mouth (Maiden, 1980m, Tatura, 19/04/2014)
- The rails draw this year belongs to #16 Scratchy Bottom ($10), the barrier producing four South Australian Derby winners since 1983
- The two most successful gates in that time are then 16 and 5 which will belong on Saturday to #1 Gamblin’ Guru ($8) and #10 Majestic Moment ($51) respectively
- This year’s favourite is #4 Order Of The Sun ($3.60) out to become the sixth punters’ pick in the past 11 years to win and the first since Zabeelioniare in 2012
- Two double figure outsiders have won in the past three years meanwhile with Escado ($12 in 2013) and Shadows In The Sun ($20 in 2011)
- #1 Gamblin’ Guru ($8) comes via a win in last weekend’s Chairman’s Stakes which has produced two of the last 10 SA Derby winners
- The last to complete the Chairman’s Stakes – South Australian Derby double was Rebel Raider (2009)
- Also coming via the Chairman’s this year are the likes of Excites Zelady (2nd), Gravitational (3rd), Kushadasi (4th), Rednav (5th) and Lord Athenaeum (6th),
- Two horses since 2000 have then come through the ATC Derby to win the SA Derby with Mummify (2003) and Testifiable (2006)
- SA Derby hopes that ran in the Australian Derby in Sydney this year are then Best Case (8th), Surging Wave (10th) and Surge Ahead (17th)
- The horse with the highest Win & Place rate of the field is #3 Kushadasi (78%) followed by #10 Majestic Moment (67%), #1 Gamblin’ Guru (64%) and #14 Family Pride (63%)
- At the track those with the best record are #1 Gamblin’ Guru (8-3-3-0), #3 Kushadasi (7-4-2-0) and #5 Excites Zelady (8-1-3-0)
- With rain in Adelaide a likely wet track is predicted for the Derby and those with the best Heavy track form are #1 Gamblin’ Guru (1-1-0-0), #3 Kushadasi (2-1-0-0), #7 Honey Steel’s Gold (1-1-0-0) and first emergency #17 Lord Athenaeum (3-0-1-1)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our insider tips on the SA Derby to be published later in the week.
In the meantime, see below for the full form guide on the event courtesy of our preferred online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au who will be offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on the big one this weekend!