Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The price on the Peter Snowden-trained Earthquake to win this Saturday’s 2014 Golden Slipper has eased out of odds-on territory after the brilliant filly came up with a nasty gate in yesterday’s Golden Slipper barrier draw.
The daughter of Exceed And Excel sat in the red in Golden Slipper betting since before the capacity 16-starter, one emergency field was released for the $3.5 million Group 1 classic yesterday.
Undefeated in four career starts to date, including a Group 1 Blue Diamond win in Melbourne, the promising two-year-old was set to start the first odds-on favourite in the Golden Slipper since Alinghi who ran third as the beaten hottie to Dance Hero back in 2004.
Earthquake however has come out from $1.90 pre-barriers to a far more backable $2.25 after coming up with barrier 13, a gate that no Golden Slipper winner has won from going right back in 1957.
She will though come into barrier 12 if the sole emergency Scratch Me Lucky (12) doesn’t get a run; the last Golden Slipper hero to jump from that barrier being Inspired (1984).
After an emphatic win over Mossfun from barrier eight (of nine) in the Group 2 Reisling Stakes (1200m) at Rosehill last start though, Earthquake still looks the one to beat on Saturday.
She’s well clear of the rest of the Golden Slipper field in the markets too with only one of her rivals, Reisling Stakes runner-up Mossfun, also under double figures.
Early market mover after drawing barrier 11, possibly into 10 where Danzero started for their 1994 Slipper win, the Hawkes-trained Mossman filly is the biggest danger for an upset Golden Slipper result this year.
She won her first three starts, including the Group 2 Silver Sipper by an impressive four lengths, before failing to match it with Earthquake in the Reisling when seeing the 1200m for the first time.
She’ll be fitter for that run however, knows how to win, loves the track, has now seen the distance and will be threatening from a better gate than the favourite.
The next best fancied in the latest Golden Slipper odds are then:
- #3 Ghibellines ($10) – Another Snowden-trained runner, this Shamardal colt broke their maiden status at the track and distance on March 22 when beating them home in the Group 2 Todman Stakes where they held on to fight off a good challenger in Unencumbered, can they match it with the fillies? From their nice inside barrier two draw they sure are a chance.
- #14 Bring Me The Maid ($14) – A bit of money coming for Peter Moody’s Sebring filly, she’s drawn ideally in barrier five with Cox Plate winning hoop Chad Schofield to ride and has won two of her three starts to date, made her Sydney debut in the Group 2 Magic Night Stakes (1200m) in the wet just last Saturday where she missed the start and got caught wide but still flashed home to win in a fine effort, so while on the short back-up she’s a definite shot with the ability to handle all conditions.
- #1 Unencumbered ($15) – Bjorn Baker’s Magic Millions Classic winning Testa Rossa colt will be stuck with the barrier 13 hoodoo if the spare comes out as they are currently drawn in barrier 14, Craig Williams rides them again after replacing Nathan Berry in their last start – a second in the Todman Stakes where they fought hard over the final 200m.
- #5 Cornrow ($15) – Mick Price-trained Duporth colt coming via a Blue Diamond Stakes third and third again in the Todman Stakes last start over the 1200m at Rosehill, hit the line strongly there and the Blue Diamond was also a good effort so from gate eight with some nice form behind them should be relishing a shot at the favourite again in this.
- #11 Oakleigh Girl ($17) – Danny Bougoure’s very nice Brisbane filly is back after a three month let-up following her second to Unencumbered in the $2 million MM Classic, she was tipped to win that day but failed to reel the colt in but could be a danger here in Sydney after back-to-back trial wins including a five length Rosehill effort over 1030m on March 21.
Whether you fancy the favourite to come good for the punters for the third time in four years, or you’re tipping a longer priced juvenile to get the better of Earthquake in the Golden Slipper finishing order the odds you need can be found online at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Ladbrokes.com.au are offering an awesome Golden Slipper betting offer, Best Tote or SP + 20% on all the runners so when you win you win 20% more than anywhere else!
2014 Golden Slipper Odds
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.