Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday Chris Waller’s top performing mare Red Tracer will look to finally break through at elite level with her first Group 1 success in the Tattersall’s Tiara 2013 but she will have to overcome a horror gate to do so.
Of the 16 fillies and mares engaged to face off in the $500,000 Group 1 Tattersall’s Tiara (1400m), the Eagle Farm feature the last Group 1 of the season, Waller’s Dane Shadow five-year-old is the second widest drawn in gate 15.
And with no Tattersall’s Tiara winner in history having jumped from wider than 14, the gate last year’s champ Pear Tart was successful from, she is facing a tough test.
Red Tracer has had nine Group 1 starts to date including last year’s Tatt’s Tiara when only half a length away fourth from the winner in the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival classic.
She came oh so close on two occasions this Sydney Autumn Carnival to taking home a coveted Group 1 trophy too when second to Appearance in both the Coolmore Classic and Queen Of The Turf Stakes at Rosehill.
From there Red Tracer was a distant 15th in the Doncaster Mile when a mud track and gate 18 of 18 hampered her chances in the lucrative handicap.
Returning to form last start however Red Tracer earned back the respect of the punters when she beat home a number of other Tatt’s Tiara hopefuls in the Group 2 Dane Ripper Stakes (1400m) on June 8.
For that run she overcame another wide barrier (16 of 18) and will have to do the same on Saturday to hand Waller with his ninth Group 1 trophy of the season.
So can Red Tracer beat the barrier and the $4.20 top fancy to win the Tattersall’s Tiara? Or will she be playing the bridesmaid once again as her $4.80 price in the current markets suggest she will?
#3 Red Tracer – Horse Form
- Barrier: 15
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: Mr G L Grimish, Mrs M Grimish
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Dane Shadow from Kisma
- Career: 28-11-6-5
- Win: 39.29%
- Place: 78.57%
- Last 6: 212201
- Prize Money: $1,303,810
- Track: 3-2-0-0
- Distance: 6-3-1-1
- Current 2013 Tattersall’s Tiara Odds: $4.80
Why Red Tracer Can Win the Tattersall’s Tiara 2013
- On paper gate 15 is a disaster but Red Tracer overcame barrier 16 to win the Group 2 Dane Ripper Stakes over this track and distance against a similar field only two weeks ago so she has it in her
- Lots of elite level experience with nine previous Group 1 starts
- Close fourth in this race 12 months ago beaten only half a length by Pear Tart
- Was only just beaten in two Group 1 races over the 1500m in Sydney this autumn and out to atone here
- Dane Ripper handicap win with 59.5kg was a cracker and she’ll appreciate getting back to the 57kg under set weights conditions here
- Beat a number of these last start including Floria (2nd) and Arctic Flight (3rd)
- Nash Rawiller stays on having ridden her to victory in the Dane Ripper
- Two recent Tattersall’s Tiara winners came via the Dane Ripper with Yosei (2011) and Russeting (2009) but neither finished in the top three
- Prepared by the season’s leading Group 1 winning trainer Chris Waller who is eyeing off his ninth trophy
- Boasts the fourth Win Rate with 39.29%
- Has a nice record at Eagle Farm (3-2-0-0) and over the distance (6-3-1-1)
- Is also one of only three previous winners over the 1400m at Eagle Farm (3-2-0-0)
Why Red Tracer Won’t be the 2013 Tattersall’s Tiara Winner
- Has to overcome another wide barrier (15 of 16) which no previous Tattersall’s Tiara winner has done
- Faces some really tough rivals that could be hard to hold out including dual Group 1 winner #1 Streama ($4.20) who is the deserved favourite in barrier one and the in-form #16 Peron ($8) on the way up
- Could be better for a place bet as is yet to win a Group 1 and has the third best Place Rate of the field with 78.57%
Whether you’re backing or sacking Red Tracer in the feature race of the weekend make sure you place your bets online at bookmaker.com.au for the guaranteed best prices and access to their exclusive Pick Your Own Tattersall’s Tiara Odds markets!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.