The Team Snowden trained Calanda will carry the...
The headline race of the weekend runs in Brisbane on Saturday with Eagle Farm Racecourse to host a hot edition of the Queensland Oaks, the 2013 form guide analysis and betting preview for which are detailed below.
Set to run as Eagle Farm Race 7 at 3:40pm (AEST) this year’s $400,000 Group 1 XXXX Gold Queensland Oaks (2400m) features a full field of 18 three-year-old fillies.
Two of those are battling for favouritism in the Queensland Oaks odds with Crown Oaks winner Dear Demi narrowly ahead at $3.40 over the progressive Gondokoro ($4).
The other major players in the markets are then the Kris Lees-trained Gold Coast Bracelet winner Express Power ($9), Peter Moody’s last start Melbourne winner Miss Zenella ($11), Gai Waterhouse’s undefeated Porcellanus ($12) and their stablemate Vaquera ($12).
But are these fillies really the ones to back in your Queensland Oaks betting this weekend?
Or is there an upset on the cards form a longer priced hopeful, the race known for its upsets with four of the past 11 Queensland Oaks winners jumping at $16 or more.
To make sure you’re on the best chances in the big one this Saturday the Races.com.au team have gone over the Queensland Oaks field, form guide and betting history and come up with the below must know facts and stats on the race.
2013 Queensland Oaks Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Queensland Oaks winner was the John Sargent-trained Kiwi raider Quintessential who came off a fourth place finish in the Group 3 The Roses (2000m), jumped from barrier one (of 17) and was ridden by Damien Brown
- The Doomben Roses is the ultimate form line for the Queensland Oaks having produced seven of the past 10 winners
- Many of the Queensland Oaks hopes this year come via The Roses the best of which are #1 Dear Demi (1st), #4 Gondokoro (2nd), #8 Vaquera (3rd), #11 Magic In Motion (4th), #10 Just As Cosmic (5th), #3 Soapy Star (6th), #5 Express Power (7th), #6 Fantisha (8th) and #2 Kazanluk (9th)
- Note that #1 Dear Demi however is out to become just the second filly in the past 11 years to win The Roses – QLD Oaks double joining Scarlett Lady (2011)
- Last year’s winning barrier meanwhile belongs on Saturday to second fancy #4 Gondokoro ($4)
- Barrier one is the equal most successful Queensland Oaks barrier in the past 30 years producing four winners along with gate four which belongs to this year to #9 Antarctic Dream ($101)
- The next best barriers have then been five and 12 with three winners each; this year those belong to #8 Vaquera ($12) and #15 Miss Zenella ($11) respectively
- #4 Gondokoro is also out to become the fourth New Zealand-bred filly to win the Queensland Oaks in as many years
- The other New Zealand-bred fillies in the mix this year are then #8 Vaquera, #15 Miss Zenella, #17 Porcellanus and #18 The Last Shower
- Being undefeated in their two career starts to date #17 Porcellanus ($12) boasts the best Win Rate of the field with 100% followed by #10 Just As Cosmic (42.86%), #5 Express Power (40%) and #15 Miss Zenella (40%)
- The highest Place Rate belongs of course to #17 Porcellanus (100%) again followed this time by #5 Express Power ($9), #11 Magic In Motion ($31) and #15 Miss Zenella ($11) all with 80%
- There are two last start winners in the mix this year with #15 Miss Zenella (RST Handicap 68, 1700m, Sale, 12/05/2013) and #17 Porcellanus (BM74 Handicap, 1600m, Warwick Farm, 19/05/2013)
- Just two fillies in the field meanwhile have previous winning form at Eagle Farm with #6 Fantisha (3-1-0-0) and #11 Magic In Motion (3-1-1-1)
- None of the competitors have won over the 2400m and just two have run top three over the distance with the two top fancies #1 Dear Demi (1-0-1-0) and #4 Gondokoro (1-0-0-1)
- This is a sort of false statistic however as it doesn’t factor in those with form over 2500m – the distance Dear Demi won the Group 1 Crown Oaks over last spring
- There is a good likelihood the Queensland Oaks will be run on a Slow – Heavy track this weekend and those fillies with the best wet track records are #1 Dear Demi, #4 Gondokoro, #3 Soapy Star and #7 Proper Madam
- Fillies paying $16 or more shouldn’t be discounted with four at these odds (averaging $29) have won in the past 11 years
- This year’s favourite #1 Dear Demi ($3.40) is the only previous Group 1 winner in the field
- Favourites have saluted for the punters three times in the past 10 years at an average price of $4, and eight times in the past three decades
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Queensland Oaks betting tips later in the week.
2013 Queensland Oaks Field & Form Guide
Eagle Farm Race 7 – 3:40pm (AEST) – 01/06/2013
|1.||DEAR DEMI||C E Conners||Nash Rawiller||3||56.5||3yoF||7||$67,555||22: 6 4 4||27.27%||63.64%||105216|
|2.||KAZANLUK||Anthony Freedman||Kerrin Mc Evoy||8||56.5||3yoF||14||$18,091||11: 2 1 2||18.18%||45.45%||x52469|
|3.||SOAPY STAR||K A Lees||Hugh Bowman||10||56.5||3yoF||14||$12,859||16: 5 2 5||31.25%||75.00%||143226|
|4.||GONDOKORO||P G Carey||Rhys Mc Leod||1||56.5||3yoF||14||$13,468||12: 1 1 2||8.33%||33.33%||x71432|
|5.||EXPRESS POWER||K A Lees||Jimmy Cassidy||2||56.5||3yoF||14||$17,496||10: 4 3 1||40.00%||80.00%||421217|
|6.||FANTISHA||Steven O’dea||Timothy Bell||9||56.5||3yoF||14||$10,533||15: 2 2 3||13.33%||46.67%||256178|
|7.||PROPER MADAM||Jason Warren||Christian Reith||16||56.5||3yoF||21||$13,357||13: 2 0 0||15.38%||15.38%||405684|
|8.||VAQUERA||Ms G Waterhouse||Michael Rodd||5||56.5||3yoF||14||$8,273||8: 2 2 1||25.00%||62.50%||x21103|
|9.||ANTARCTIC DREAM||Bruce Hill||Brenton Avdulla||4||56.5||3yoF||14||$7,500||16: 3 1 1||18.75%||31.25%||4×0900|
|10.||JUST AS COSMIC||Steven Wilson||Chris Munce||14||56.5||3yoF||14||$8,752||7: 3 0 0||42.86%||42.86%||641115|
|11.||MAGIC IN MOTION||R L Heathcote||Glen Colless||18||56.5||3yoF||14||$6,995||10: 3 4 1||30.00%||80.00%||12×114|
|12.||ZOMBIE DANCER||G Eurell||Michael Walker||17||56.5||3yoF||14||$7,551||7: 2 1 2||28.57%||71.43%||1×2830|
|13.||GERMAYNE LASS||Desleigh Forster||Ryan Wiggins||15||56.5||3yoF||14||$4,075||10: 3 0 1||30.00%||40.00%||x40390|
|14.||IRELAND’S TEARDROP||A J Cummings||Peter Robl||7||56.5||3yoF||13||$4,221||12: 1 1 0||8.33%||16.67%||40×449|
|15.||MISS ZENELLA||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||12||56.5||3yoF||20||$6,945||5: 2 1 1||40.00%||80.00%||521×31|
|16.||PHANTOM CALLER||P J Balzen||Paul Hammersley||6||56.5||3yoF||10||$3,246||13: 2 1 1||15.38%||30.77%||801017|
|17.||PORCELLANUS||Ms G Waterhouse||Tim Clark||13||56.5||3yoF||13||$16,065||2: 2 0 0||100.00%||100.00%||11|
|18.||THE LAST SHOWER||M D Moroney||Eddie Wilkinson||11||56.5||3yoF||15||$952||9: 1 1 2||11.11%||44.44%||x31528|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.