This Saturday, while not attracting quite the same class of sprinters as Brisbane’s BTC Cup, The Goodwood 2013 will still feature plenty of smart gallopers with the Races.com.au tips for this Adelaide clash detailed below.
Due to jump as Morphettville Race 7 at 4:05pm (local) the $500,000 Group 1 The Goodwood (1200m) field is now down to 16 starters following the early scratchings of #9 Shellscrape and #11 Zamorar.
Current favourite in the The Goodwood racing odds is Peter Moody’s Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes winning four-year-old Moment Of Change who continues to dominate betting at a quote of $2.10.
But after a failed run in the Canterbury Stakes last time out and the 58.5kg topweight here some punters may be looking a little further down the markets.
The Goodwood betting market mover and new second favourite is now the Jason McLachlan-trained Queensland visitor Facile Tigre in from $8.50 to $7.50 to break their Group 1 maiden in this after a career best second in the Oakleigh Plate last start back in February.
Other notable chances then include Stuart Webb’s triple Group 1 winner Yosei ($8) coming off a third at the track and distance, Robert Sangster Stakes winner Platelet ($12), the well-weighted Amaethon ($15) and DC McKay Stakes champ General Truce ($17).
So will Moment Of Change atone for their last start in Sydney and return to their previous good form with their second Group 1 victory?
Or is there an upset 2013 The Goodwood result on the cards?
#7 Facile Tigre ($7.50)
- Lots of money starting to come in for this Sunshine Coast-based sprinter and we’re going to follow that money trail
- Runs their best races fresh and have fresh legs for this not having raced since February 23
- That run was a career best when second in the Group 1 Oakleigh Plate (1100m) in Melbourne
- Regular rider Brad Rawiller retains the ride and is confident in their form
- This has been the target since the start of the year
- Showed fitness last month with a winning barrier trial at Werribee winning that by 3.5 lengths and beating some smart types including The Goodwood rival Yosei
- Gets barrier seven which gives them options and should see them trail Moment Of Change who is one on their inside
- Good record over the distance (10-4-1-1)
- Gets in with 54.5kg which is four kilos better off than the favourite
#1 Moment Of Change ($2.10)
- Definitely the class horse here but that 58.5kg topweight is the worry
- Must include in all exotics and take Each Way as this could be a close finish
- After back-to-back The Goodwood wins for their trainer (Peter Moody) and jockey (Luke Nolen) following success of Black Caviar 12 months ago
- Gun run to come from gate five which is one of the most successful The Goodwood barriers in the past three decades producing three winners
- Forgive for the Canterbury failure where they had gate nine of 10?
- Group 1 winner of the Sir Rupert Clarke last season
- Loves this distance (4-2-1-1)
- Their Win Rate is the best in this field (41.67%) and they also boast an excellent Place Rate (83.33%)
#17 Yosei ($8)
- Now due to jump from gate eight which has produced more The Goodwood winners than any other barrier with five
- Regular rider Michelle Payne has been aboard for Yosei’s three Group 1 wins and is on again here
- First-up third in the Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes over this track and distance at their last start showed their good form
- Gets in four kilos better than Robert Sangster winner Platelet ($12) who she met on equal weights last time
- Gets six kilos off Moment Of Change which is huge for a class mare like this
- No problems at the track (2-0-1-1) and is after back-to-back wins for the mares
Whether you’re backing or sacking our The Goodwood 2013 betting selections the prices you’re after are open now at bookmaker.com.au where punters can also pick their own odds on all the weekend’s metro races!