On Saturday local Morphettville trainer Richard Jolly will look to hold off the interstate raiders in the 2013 South Australian Derby saddling up co-favourite with the progressive Hioctdane representing the home state.
This year’s $500,000 Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m), running as Morphettville Race 7, is again saturated by visitors from Sydney and Melbourne.
But while the locals aren’t represented numbers-wise in the 15 horse field they certainly are class-wise with Strada gelding Hioctdane sharing $4.20 favouritism in the South Australian Derby odds with Victorian galloper Hvasstan.
There’s certainly lots to like about Hioctdane including their big 4.5 length victory at the track last Saturday in the Group 3 Chairman’s Veloia Stakes (2000m) which has produced three of the past 10 South Australian Derby winners.
And their outside barrier 15 of 15 draw isn’t as bad as it looks on paper either with 14 of the past 29 winners having jumped from double digits in the SA Derby.
So can Hioctdane handle the short back-up and take out the Chairman’s – Derby double? Or will they tire over the 2500m and give away the home ground advantage?
#2 Hioctdane – Horse Form
- Barrier: 15
- Jockey: Paul Gatt
- Trainer: Richard Jolly
- Owners: Astute Racing Brains, Mr N M Gibbins, Miss C M Fry, Marloc Racing, Mr I M Perryman, Mrs D N Jolly
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Strada from Autobahn
- Career: 8-3-1-1
- Win: 37.50%
- Place: 62.50%
- Last 6: 1×0241
- Prize Money: $145,700
- Track: 6-2-0-1
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2013 SA Derby Odds: $4.20
Yes – Hioctdane Can Win the 2013 South Australian Derby
- Has the outside gate but 14 of the past 29 winners have jumped from double digits and there’s time to get across
- Won the Group 3 Chairman’s Veolia Stakes (2000m) at the track last weekend from barrier 11 (of 12)
- Their Chairman’s win was a beauty as they won 4.5 lengths – an effort they will be looking to reproduce just seven days later
- One of only three last start winners in the race and last year’s winner Zabeelionaire also came off a 2000m lead-up victory
- Regular rider Paul Gatt stays on
- Boasts the best Win Rate of the field with 37.50% and the second highest Place Rate (62.50%)
- Is the only horse in the race with previous winning form at Morphettville (6-2-0-1)
- Out to become the seventh favourite in the past 11 years to salute for the punters
No – Hioctdane Won’t Be the SA Derby Winner in 2013
- Needs to back-up just seven days after winning the Chairman’s – they are yet to race on such a short turn around
- Only one other horse in the past 10 years has completed the Chairman’s – Derby double with Rebel Raider (2009)
- Face some class rivals here including co-favourite #1 Hvasstan and last start winner over the distance at Flemington #3 Shoreham
- Yet to race over further than 2000m so needs to handle the step up to 2500m here
Like what you’ve read in the pro column for Hioctdane’s form and stats leading into the SA Derby? Get behind them at the price you want to pay only at bookmaker.com.au in their exclusive Pick Your Own Odds offer open on all the weekend’s majors!