This Saturday as part of the elite Golden Slipper Day racing action at Rosehill a field full of top fillies and mares will face off in the Queen Of The Turf Stakes 2013– betting tips and insider selections for which are detailed below.
Due to jump as Rosehill Race 6 at 3:15pm (AEST) this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes (1500m) has drawn a final field of 11 top gallopers with the red hot favourite being Gai Waterhouse’s pin-up mare More Joyous.
Having won this race for the past two years on the trot, showing nice form first-up when second in the Canterbury behind glamour stable mate Pierro and drawing the rails for her second-up assignment More Joyous is the odds-on favourite in the Queen Of The Turf Stakes betting.
She has eased out slightly in her price to secure an impressive ninth Group 1 trophy however from $1.40 to $1.45 after the course proper at Rosehill Gardens was downgraded into the Heavy range, a track condition the six-year-old is yet to win over.
While there’s a big gap in the markets between More Joyous and the rest of the Queen Of The Turf Stakes contenders are main dangers are perceived to be Chris Waller’s known mudlark Red Tracer ($7), last start Coolmore Classic winner Appearance ($10) and the Grahame Begg-trained Secret Admirer ($12).
So are these three the ones to lock into your Queen Of The Turf Stakes trifecta bets for Saturday? Or is there value to be had backing a longer priced roughie with some sneaky wet track form such as former Group 1 winner Pear Tart ($41) or the Peter Moody-trained There’s Only One ($51) who are yet to be beaten in the mud?
#1 More Joyous ($1.45)
- Dual defending champion
- Won this the past two year’s also as the odds-on favourie paying $1.24 and $1.55 respectively
- Recent history favours the top fancies too with nine of the past 11 winners jumping the punters’ pick
- Looks all but unbeatable on paper
- Comes off a good first-up second to Pierro in the Canterbury, a race she’d won the previous two years running
- Weight-for-age suits
- Should get a nice run from gate one so long as the track isn’t too choppy by Race 5
- Regular rider Nash Rawiller stays on
- Is an eight-time Group 1 winner so the rank horse here
- Rosehill should be back to Slow by jump time and she’s won four from five on Slow ground
- Loves Rosehill boasting 11 wins and two minor placings from 15 starts at The Gardens
- Is undefeated over the Track and Distance with three victories
#4 Red Tracer ($7)
- Deserving second pick here and the genuine market mover
- Follow the money this race looks ideal for her
- Was only just defeated in the Coolmore under quality handicap conditions
- Prior to that won the Group 3 Millie Fox Stakes over 1300m at Rosehill on a Heavy (9) carrying 58kg
- Will relish getting a run under weight-for-age here
- Also the best credentialed on a Heavy track with five wins from as many starts in the mud
- Has beaten a number of these before
- Super consistent with a Win & Place rate of 80%
- Good record at Rosehill (7-3-2-0)
#3 Appearance ($10)
- Sticking with the bookies on this one and rate the third pick to run third
- Is a dual Group 1 winner thanks to her last start victory over Red Tracer in the Coolmore
- She carried 55kg to Red Tracer’s 57.5kg there but must meet her equal on 57 under WFA in this
- Distance suits as she won at the track and distance last time out
- Also took out the Myer Classic in Melbourne over the mile in the spring
- Wet track no problems with her Heavy form very good (3-2-1-0)
Agree with the Races.com.au team and think More Joyous can win the Queen Of The Turf again this weekend but don’t want the odds-on price?
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change