Recently inducted Hall Of Fame trainer Chris...
This Saturday one of the feature races on the Rosehill Guineas Day program will be the Ajax Stakes 2013 which has drawn one of the best fields in many years, and below you will find our insider tips on the handicap clash.
Running as Rosehill Race 8 at 4:50pm (AEST) this year’s $175,000 Group 2 Ajax Stakes (1500m) field features 18 hopefuls, the shortest-priced of which is the progressive Havana Rey ($6) having just their second start in black type company after a Chipping Norton fifth earlier in the month.
They are followed by the resuming David Jones Cup winner Lightinthenite ($7) and then three others at a current quote of $9 in the Ajax Stakes odds with the Queen’s Horse Carlton House ($9) for their Australian debut, the consistent Riva De Lago ($9) and the Noel Mayfield-Smith-trained 53.5kg light-weight Famous Seamus.
So are these single-figure fancies really the ones to lock into your Ajax Stakes bets and exotics this Easter Saturday?
Or is there value to be had backing a longer priced contender such as last start Liverpool City Cup winner Skyerush ($13) or Chipping Norton runner-up Monton ($13) for an upset Ajax Stakes result in 2013?
#9 Riva De Lago ($9)
- Last start second to Skyerush in the Liverpool City Cup was a good run and they are improving each start
- Drawn in gate eight so can make their own luck from there with Corey Brown riding
- Brown has been aboard for their past three runs including back-to-back Rosehill wins before the Liverpool City Cup both over 1400m
- Ran a close third to fellow rival on Saturday Lightinthenite at this track and distance back in November 2011 which was their last look at the 1500m – beaten under half a length that run
- Will relish getting back to Rosehill
- Well weighted with 55kg, which they carried last start, having carried 58kg to victory here two starts back
#4 Monton ($13)
- Second over this track and distance to Malavio in the Listed Festival Stakes back in December when carrying 59kg
- Have 57.5kg here which will be more manageable
- Barrier 13 to overcome but time to do it
- Forget their failed Apollo Stakes 11th as they didn’t handle the mud track
- Much improved the run after when defeated a mere short half-head by Shoot Out in the Chipping Norton when carrying 59kg again
- Chipping Norton jockey Christian Reith stays on
#10 Havana Rey ($6)
- Will relish the Group 1 experience they had in the Chipping Norton when a game fifth beaten only 1.7 lengths
- Favourite here and think they will come close to saluting for the punters
- Chipping was their only black type run so far and will have learnt a lot
- Dual winner over the Warwick Farm mile before that run on a Good (3) and Heavy (10) so handles all conditions
- Dropping back to 1500m will see them sharp
- Carried 59kg in the Chipping and will love the drop back to 54.5kg here
- Reunites with Glyn Schofield who missed the Chipping back was aboard for their two lead-up wins
- Ran a close third beaten under half a length with 59.5kg on their back over this track and distance on January 12
Whether you’re backing or sacking our Ajax Stakes 2013 selections make sure you Place Your Bets online at bookmaker.com.au where you will also have access to exclusive futures markets on the upcoming Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival elite levels like next week’s Golden Slipper.
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.