High quality mare Prompt Response is in the mix...
If the 2013 Peter Young Stakes betting markets are anything to go by this Blue Diamond Stakes Day then there are only two horses that should be in your tips for the Caulfield classic.
Running as Caulfield Race 5 at 2:40pm (AEST) this year’s $220,000 Group 2 Peter Young Stakes (1800m) has drawn a final field of eight promising autumn contenders but the punters only have eyes for two of them.
Current favourite in the Peter Young Stakes odds is market mover Mawingo at $2.80, the rails-drawn stallion last seen running a brave second to the all-conquering All Too Hard first-up in the Group 1 CF Orr Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on the ninth.
The Doomben Cup champ has Craig Williams in the saddle again for Saturday which is their latest Australian Cup 2013 lead-up.
Hot on their tail is then another Group 1 winner, Mr Moet, who is at $3.50 after running a good third in the CF Orr.
Adam Durrant’s Perth visitor enjoyed victory in the Railway Stakes back in November before a number of other impressive runs back home, including a Perth Cup second, and is ready to break their interstate maiden over the 1800m.
So is the Races.com.au team sticking with one of the top two in our Peter Young tips? Or do we have one of the longer-priced hopefuls such as the David Jolly-trained Budriguez ($9.50) coming off a Group 3 Carylon Cup win over the Caulfield mile or the flying Éclair Surprise ($11), a winner of their past four starts, from Adelaide rated special to win?
#1 Mr Moet ($3.50)
- The top two were hard to split but based on consistency we’re going to have to side with the WA raider here
- Winner of the Railway Stakes back home before a second over this distance in the Kingston Town Classic
- Their third was excellent in the CF Orr and tipping them to improve going up from the 1400m to 1800m here
- Gate four is ideal as they have options
- Will be better for their interstate debut at this track last time out
- Best Win & Place rate of the field with 75%
#3 Mawingo ($2.80)
- Anthony Freedman’s Tertullian five-year-old caught the eye when a first-up second in the CF Orr which was a huge improvement on their disappointing spring cut short due to injury
- At their peak last winter won the Doomben Cup in Brisbane at just their third start in Australia
- 1800m second-up looks ideal
- On track for a big autumn
#6 Éclair Surprise ($11)
- Blackfriars five-year-old prepared by Phillip Stokes at Morphettville in excellent form
- Won first-up back home now ready for another successful raid on the Melbourne features
- Was here during the spring and won at Flemington on Melbourne Cup Day and then again at Sandown in the Group 2 Eclipse Stakes
- Both of those feature Melbourne victories were over 1800m and will love getting that distance again here
Get behind our Peter Young Stakes selections, or back your own picks, at the guaranteed best prices online now at bookmaker.com.au where you can use your $400 sign-up bet on up to four markets of your choice this season!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.