The 2012 Patinack Farm Classic is set to run at Flemington Racecourse as part of the Emirates Stakes Day action and while the bookies have Sea Siren as their clear pick, does the team at Races.com.au have the same Patinack tip?
Set to jump at 2:15pm (AEST) as Flemington race 5, the $1 million Group 1 Patinack Farm Classic (1200m) is being run for the first time in three years without super mare Black Caviar in the mix.
Topping the current Patinack Farm Classic odds at bookmaker.com.au this year however is another mare, the John O’Shea-trained Sea Siren having taken her Group 1 tally to three first-up with a tight win in the Manikato Stakes.
Her biggest dangers are perceived to be multiple Group 1 performer Buffering ($5) looking to bounce back after their Manikato failure, and the improving Peter Snowden-trained Mental ($6) who ran a lovely second to Sea Siren in the Manikato.
So is this the winning Patinack Farm Classic trifecta?
Or are we tipping an upset Patinack Farm Classic result with a longer-priced hopeful such as the Con Karakatsanis-trained Howmuchdoyouloveme, Joe Pride’s smart galloper Tiger Tees or one of the Tony Gollan-trained half-brothers Temple Of Boom and Spirit Of Boom to score a boil-over.
#5 Mental ($6)
- Ran a super second to Sea Siren in the Manikato when coming from the tail of the field to finish just a quarter length away last start
- Beat home a number of these in that race including Buffering and Hallowell Belle
- While they going to be at their best getting up to 1400m – 1600m later, second-up the 1200m looks right and they have a good record at the distance (4-1-1-1)
- The roomier Flemington staright will suit them to a tee after the tight Valley circuit
- Is going to be at their peak for this grand final knowing the way Snowden trains them
- Front runner with the ability (and lungs) to lead all the way
#1 Buffering ($5)
- Little bit of risk backing this Brisbane champ but going to put the faith in them to bounce back and finish in the money
- Needs to overcome barrier 15 of 15 but with the right sort of run from Hugh Bowman that’s not impossible
- Has 12 previous Group 1 wins behind them
- Had it over Sea Siren in the Stradbroke during the winter
- Over $2 million in prize money shows what kind of class they are
- Flemington straight gives them the chance to get back in top form as they have four top three finishes from five starts at the track
- 1200m record is impressive (18-6-5-3)
- Second to Black Caviar in this race 12 months ago which was his third second over this track and distance from four attempts
- Won the AJ Moore earlier this prep which Black Caviar won on way to the Patinack last year
#11 Hallowell Belle ($16)
- Will add value to the trifecta
- Gai Waterhouse’s classy mare has good form this time in winnign the Group 2 Gilgia Stakes over this track and distance first-up before their fourth in the Manikato
- Consistent and always runs a cracker third run in
- Flemington is her track, a win and a second from two starts here
- Barrier 12 isn’t as bad as it looks
- Craig Williams to ride
Roughie We Like
#15 Snitzerland ($19)
- Is a big test for this three-year-old filly but youngsters coming via the Coolmore Stud Stakes have a good place record in the Patinack
- Should get a gun run from gate two and gets the weight relieve WFA with 51.5kg
- Winner of six from 10 including four straight this prep
- Last start fifth in the Coolmore was somewhat disappointing but she can return to form here
- Has won a Group 2 over the 1200m ant Flemington recently (Danehill Stakes, September)
- Is talented and out to prove it here
Whether it is our Patinack Farm Classic betting tips or your own selections on the Melbourne Cup Carnival clash you are backing, bookmaker.com.au will have the odds you’re after.
Even better, Pick Your Own Patinack Farm Classic Odds available exclusively to bookamekr.com.au punters.