Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
They may not have quite the same amount of hype surrounding them as their star stablemate and 2012 Cox Plate top fancy Pierro but the fellow Gai Waterhouse-trained three-year-old Proisir is not without their admirers for the big one at Moonee Valley Racecourse this Saturday.
Waterhouse will saddle up three hopefuls in this year’s $3 million Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) as she looks to score her first victory in the ‘race where legends are made’.
The shortest-priced of those is triple Group 1 winning Lonhro colt Pierro ($4.60) looking to bounce back after their first career loss when gunned down by fellow Cox Plate hopefuls All Too Hard in the Caulfield Guineas a fortnight ago.
Then there is eight-time Group 1 winning More Than Ready mare More Joyous, backed in from $11 to $9 at bookmaker.com.au, who is also looking to reverse her form after finding the 60kg topweight in the Toorak too much last time.
Also paying $9 in the Cox Plate odds is then Proisir who, like Pierro and All Too Hard, is looking to become the third three-year-old in the past 10 years to beat home their older rivals in the Cox Plate.
They also share something else with Pierro have been defeated as the beaten odds-on favourite in a Group 1 last time out, the Choisir colt’s three run winning streak coming to an end at Randwick on October 6 when they went down to Victoria Derby fancy It’s A Dundeel in the Spring Champion Stakes (2000m).
So can Proisir get the better of their two stablemates and the rest of this year’s intriguing Cox Plate 2012 field? Or will they fall by the wayside as so many other three-year-olds have done before them?
#14 Proisir – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Craig Newitt
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Owners: Mr A Falcone, Mr M Falcone
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Choisir (AUS) out of Encosta De Lago (AUS) mare Prophet Jewel (AUS)
- Career: 4-3-1-0
- Win: 75.00%
- Place: 100.00%
- Last 6: 1112
- Prize Money: $255,230
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-0-1-0
- Current 2012 Cox Plate Odds: $9
Evidence For Proisir Winning the Cox Plate 2012
- While 3YO’s have a poor overall record in the Cox Plate, two have won in the past decade with Savabeel (2004) and So You Think (2009)
- Boasts the second best Win Rate of the field with 75% trailing only Pierro (88.89%) having won three of their four starts to date
- Barrier 10 isn’t too bad as they can trail stablemate More Joyous (in 11) and stay out of trouble
- As a three-year-old will carry just 49.5kg, a minimum 7.5kg better than their older rivals
- Are the only one of the trio of 3YO’s in the race with experience over the 2000m when a close second, not for lack of trying, last start
Evidence Against a Win by Proisir in the 2012 Cox Plate
- Gai Waterhouse is yet to train a Cox Plate winner
- 62 three-year-olds have run in the Cox Plate over the years – only four have won
- Are only lightly-raced (four starts) and it would be a near miracle for a young horse to win a Cox Plate at just start number five in their first preparation
- A better place bet if you still like them as they are yet to finish out of the money
- Haven’t raced outside of Sydney so haven’t run the Melbourne way of going or seen the Moonee Valley track ahead of their ambitious Cox Plate bid
- Have never raced against older horses
- If you want a Waterhouse runner #12 Pierro ($4.60) has more experience and credentials and #10 More Joyous ($9) is the market mover with eight Group 1 wins to her name already
Read enough to suggest Proisir is worth an Each Way bet in the Cox Plate markets this year?
Whatever horses you’re locking into your locking into your Cox Plate Trifecta for 2012 you can bet with confidence knowing you’re getting the best value for your betting back online at bookmaker.com.au who offer Best of the Best markets.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.