Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the closing races on today’s Caulfield Guineas Day program is the Herbert Power Stakes 2012 and below are the insider Races.com.au tips and exotic selections on this Caulfield Cup ballot exemption event.
Due to jump as Caulfield Race 8 at 4:50pm (AEST) the $220,000 Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m) has attracted a bumper field of 16 starters the firming favourite of which is John Gosden’s European raider Gatewood.
The Melbourne Cup fancy hasn’t raced since their second in the Group 2 Prix de Deauville (2500m) in France back in late August, but the lightly-raced stallion boasts an excellent first-up record and an ultra-consistent strike rate.
As such the Aussie punters are getting right behind them for their debut down under today with Gatewood topping the Herbert Power Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au at a quote of $3.30 and firming.
There are three other single-figure fancies in the markets with Ekraar mare Exceptionally ($5.50) out wide in barrier 15 coming off an eye-catching third in the Naturalism Stakes from barrier 16 (of 16), Craig Williams’ mount Excluded ($8) and the Ciaron Maher-trained local Mr O’Ceirin ($8).
So these are the ones the bookies fancy, but are they the ones the expert tipsters at Races.com.au are tipping today?
Can Gatewood get the job done and secure his spot towards the top of the spring cups markets or will there be an upset Herbert Power Stakes result from a credible galloper such as another international in Shahwardi ($12) or Michael Brady’s last start JRA Cup winner Bianmick ($12)?
# 2 Gatewood ($3.30)
- Awesome Win & Place rate of 88%
- Resumes after a two month break and goes well fresh (2-1-1-0)
- Aimed at the Cups and wouldn’t have been bought down under if they weren’t right for it
- Can handle a Slow track if the rain comes
- Great form back home in Europe and will appreciate the 56kg
- Great draw (barrier four)
- Nice record of internationals of this class winning first-up in a race like the Herbert Power
#4 Shahwardi ($12)
- Has barrier 13 to overcome but plenty of distance to do it
- Prepared by Melbourne Cup winning trainer Alain de Royer Dupre
- Has been flying in trackwork at Werribee ahead of their Aussie debut
- Jockey Kerrin McEvoy has been singing them praises and will ride them today
- Has an okay first-up record (6-1-0-2) but will be better next time out
- Carried up to 66.5kg back in Europe in recent starts so the 56kg today should be a breeze
- Consistent Win & Place rate of 70%
#8 Exceptionally ($5.50)
- Caulfield isn’t their best track, they’ve had 10 starters her for only two minor placings but are in flying form
- Ran a slashing third here in the Naturalism last time out
- Had four starts over the distance and finished in the money twice
- Rain will work in their favour with the give out of the track
- Out wide in gate 15 but overcame barrier 16 of 16 when beaten under half a length in the Naturalism
Roughie We Like
#6 Dance With Her ($15)
- Last seen running a good second in the JRA Cup against a similar class field
- Options from barrier 7
- Winner at Caulfield (3-1-0-1) before and the distance here is ideal (3-1-2-0)
- Last time she ran over the mile and a half she was second in the Brisbane Cup
Get in on the Caulfield Guineas Day and Herbert Power Stakes betting action now at bookmaker.com.au and lock in our selections or your own at the guaranteed best prices.
Alternatively if you’ve got the Herbert Power Stakes winner picked out but want them at a better price than their standard odds, try bookmaker.com.au’s exclusive Pick Your Own Odds markets!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.