They are the steady favourite in the Turnbull Stakes 2012 betting markets but can the Lloyd Williams-owned Caulfield Cup hope Green Moon score their first Group 1 victory at the famous Flemington this weekend?
Imported Montjeu stallion Green Moon was one of the spruik horses in trainer Robert Hickmott’s stables last Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival after they won the Newcastle Gold Cup.
It was all systems go when they backed up to run a good second to Southern Speed in the Caulfield Cup next start but things went amiss when Green Moon failed in the Lexus Stakes on Derby Day running 12th of 13 behind Niwot.
A one-run autumn campaign resulted in a Group 2 Blamey Stakes victory, Green Moon back six months later to run a first-up fifth to Sincero in the Group 2 Memsie Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on September 1.
They showed good improvement second-up when beaten by the barest of margins in the Group 2 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) at Moonee Valley and are now predicted to go one better when they race against the spring’s best stayers in the $500,000 Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) on Saturday.
Green Moon, who is also one of the top fancies for the $2.65 million Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) again this year on October 20, opened favourite in the Turnbull Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au and remains steady at $4.80.
But with so many classy rivals in the mix including comeback stayer December Draw ($6) who won the Turnbull during a career best season 12 months ago, reigning Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed ($7) and market mover Voila Ici ($8) coming off a surprise second in the Underwood Stakes, Green Moon certainly has their work cut out for them.
#11 Green Moon – Horse Details
- Jockey: Craig Williams
- Trainer: Robert Hickmott
- Owners: Mr N C Williams, Mr L J Williams, Mrs S J Williams
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Stallion
- Breeding: by Montjeu from Green Tune mare Green Noon
- Career: 17-5-3-0
- Win: 29.41%
- Place: 47.06%
- Last 6: 0x1x52
- Prize Money: $782,596
- Track: 4-1-1-0
- Distance: 4-3-1-0
- Current 2012 Turnbull Stakes Odds: $4.80
Yes – Green Moon Can Salute as the 2012 Turnbull Stakes Favourite
- Ridden by big race specialist Craig Williams who knows the horse having been aboard for their three most recent runs
- Has won at Flemington before in the Group 2 Blamey Stakes (1600m) back in March
- Is a specialist over the 2000m having won three of their four starts over the distance and run second in the other
- Well suited to the set weights plus penalties with 55.5kg, back from the 59kg they carried in the Dato
- Prepared by a former Turnbull winning trainer (Robert Hickmott)
No – Green Moon Won’t Win the Turnbull Stakes 2012
- Their winning strike rate (29.41%) is only fair and at this stage of their campaign could be best for a place
- Haven’t run the distance since September last year when second to December Draw at this track
- Favourites have a poor record in the Turnbull with December Draw ($2.15 last year) the only one to salute since the race gained Group 1 status back in 2006
Whether you are backing or sacking this year’s Turnbull Stakes betting favourite one thing is for sure – bookmaker.com.au is the only bookie to place your bets!