Phillip Stokes’ Sir John Monash Stakes winning...
The 2018 Doomben Cup continues the Group 1 racing action in Brisbane on Saturday, our comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview for the weight-for-age feature found below.
Due to run as Race 8 at 3:40pm (AEST) as the penultimate event on the card, this year’s Group 1 $650,000 Hardy Brothers Doomben Cup (2000m) field is down to a dozen after the early scratching of It’s Somewhat (8) due to a fever.
It is a wide open edition of the race and currently three horses are battling for top spot in the Doomben Cup odds online at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Market mover and narrow favourite well-backed in from $5.50 to $4.20 is the Mick Price-trained mare Oregon’s Day.
Drawn a treat in barrier two with veteran hoop Jim Byrne booked for the ride, the in-form four-year-old daughter of Domesday comes off a string of very nice runs.
Two back she was two and a half-lengths fourth to Alizee in the Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes (1600m) over the Randwick mile before her May 5 win at the Gold Coast in the Group 2 A.D. Hollindale Stakes (1800m).
Oregon’s Day now chases the double after defeating a similar field of rivals last time out by one and a half lengths, the only test being her first run over the 2000m.
The dangers in the latest Doomben Cup betting markets are the Japanese imports Ambitious ($4.40) and Satono Rasen ($5), the latter one of four in the mix for Sydney’s best Chris Waller who chases his third success in the race.
To help uncover any value in the markets below we go over the full Doomben Cup 2018 form guide, betting history and statistical data before you place your bets at Ladbrokes.com.au.
2018 Doomben Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben Cup winner was the Kris Lees-trained Sense Of Occasion (2017) who came off a lead-up sixth in the Hollindale Stakes, jumped from barrier 15 (of 15) and was ridden to victory by Corey Brown
- The previous Doomben Cup winning trainers with a runner on Saturday are: Chris Waller chasing a third victory with #2 Comin’ Through ($10), #4 Tom Melbourne ($10), #5 One Foot In Heaven ($41), #7 Satono Rasen ($5), #8 Life Less Ordinary ($10) and #11 Egg Tart ($11); and fellow dual winning horseman Anthony Freedman with #3 Ambitious ($4.40)
- Jockey Corey Brown chases back-to-back Doomben Cup wins by a hoop for the first time since Blake Shinn (2014-15) aboard #4 Tom Melbourne ($10)
- The only other previous Doomben Cup winning jockey with a ride on the weekend is Leith Innes on #11 Egg Tart ($11)
- The outside barrier this weekend belongs to #2 Comin’ Through (12 of 12) and the inside alley is drawn by #6 Man Of His Word (1 of 12)
- Sense Of Occasion was the first Doomben Cup winner from a double-digit barrier since Scenic Shot (13 of 16 in 2009)
- Along with #2 Comin’ Through (12 of 12) the other widely-drawn runners this year are #8 Life Less Ordinary (11 of 12) and #9 Violate (10 of 12)
- Three barriers have produced four Doomben Cup winners (since 1983) with 2, 4 and 11 drawn this year by: #12 Oregon’s Day (2), #7 Satono Rasen (4) and #8 Life Less Ordinary (12 into 11) respectively
- Six-year-olds have won the past two editions of the race and three in the past decade; the 6YOs in the mix on Saturday are: #3 Ambitious, #5 One Foot In Heaven, #7 Satono Rasen, #8 Life Less Ordinary and #10 Tradesman ($13)
- There has also been three four-year-old Doomben Cup winners in the past 10 years; the 4YOs in Saturday’s field are: #2 Comin’ Through, #9 Violate ($101), #11 Egg Tart and #12 Oregon’s Day
- #11 Egg Tart, #12 Oregon’s Day and #13 Abbey Marie ($13) are the three mares in the Doomben Cup field looking to join Cinque Cento (2007) and Streama (2014) as the only mares in the past 30 years to salute
- Three Doomben Cup favourites have saluted for the punters in the past 10 years most recently Pornichet ($3.50 in 2015); #12 Oregon’s Day ($4.20) leads Doomben Cup betting in 2018
- The A.D. Hollindale Stakes has produced six of the past 10 Doomben Cup winners with Streama (2014) the last to do the double
- #12 Oregon’s Day is after the A.D. Hollindale Stakes – Doomben Cup double in 2018
- The other Hollindale Stakes graduates in the Doomben Cup on the weekend are: Tom Melbourne (2nd), Man Of His Word (3rd), Satono Rasen (4th), Egg Tart (5th), Comin’ Through (6th), One Foot In Heaven (11th) and Violate (12th)
- Along with Oregon’s Day there are two other last start winners in the Doomben Cup field with #8 Life Less Ordinary (Listed Wagga Gold Cup, 2000m, Wagga, 04/05/2018) and #10 Tradesman (Hcp, 1700m, Warrnambool, 01/05/2018)
- The highest Win Rate in the field belongs to #11 Egg Tart (40%) followed by #10 Tradesman (33%), #5 One Foot In Heaven (32%) and #2 Comin’ Through (31%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #2 Comin’ Through (63%) followed by #8 Life Less Ordinary (62%)
- The horses with previous winning form at the Doomben track are: #6 Man Of His Word (14:2-2-2) and #11 Egg Tart (1:1-0-0)
- The horses with the best form over the distance (2000m) are: #10 Tradesman (2:2-0-0), #4 Tom Melbourne (7:2-1-0), #7 Satono Rasen (7:2-1-1), #3 Ambitious (7:2-0-0), #8 Life Less Ordinary (7:1-3-2), #9 Violate (3:1-0-0), #13 Abbey Marie (3:1-0-0) and #11 Egg Tart (1:1-0-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Doomben Cup 2018 betting tips, checking out a comprehensive race form guide below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.