There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
The 2018 Golden Slipper Stakes steals the show in Sydney on Saturday, our comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview for the world’s richest two-years-old race detailed below.
Due to run as Rosehill Race 7 at 4:10pm (AEDT), it is a capacity field of juveniles for this autumn’s Group 1 $3.5 million Longines Golden Slipper (1200m).
Heading the latest Golden Slipper odds at Ladbrokes.com.au out to be the first favourite to salute for the punters since Vancouver (2015) is the flying filly Sunlight ($4.20) chasing her sixth win on the trot.
Barrier five gives the Tony McEvoy-trained Magic Millions Classic winner the run of the race and Sunlight is out to make it three-from-three at Rosehill after completing he Silver Slipper – Magic Night Stakes double in the lead-up.
Also drawn well one inside the favourite jumping from gate four is the Ladbrokes Blue Diamond winning colt Written By, the Grahame Begg-trained youngster also a Rosehill winner last Saturday taking out the Pago Pago in slick time.
Despite the bumper size of the Golden Slipper Stakes field, just two other runners are under $10 for the win with Santos ($9) and Seabrook ($9) the dangers.
Santos has the Waterhouse factor, co-trained by six time Golden Slipper winning trainer Gai Waterhouse and coming off a Group 2 Skyline Stakes (1200m) win from March 3.
Seabrook meanwhile also won her lead-up, the well-bred Hinchinbrook filly winning Randwick’s Group 2 Sweet Embrace Stakes (1200m) in the first Sydney run for the Mick Price-trained Victorian raider.
To help uncover where the value is at in the classic check out the full 2018 Golden Slipper Form Guide, Betting History and Statistics below.
2018 Golden Slipper Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Golden Slipper Stakes winner was the Gary Portelli-trained filly She Will Reign (2017) who came off a lead-up second in the Reisling Stakes, jumped from barrier 11 (of 16) and was ridden to victory by Ben Melham as an $8 chance in betting
- Gary Portelli returns chasing back–to-back wins as a trainer for the first time since Gai Waterhouse (2012-13) with triple-figure roughie #16 Secret Lady ($126)
- The other previous Golden Slipper winning trainers with a guaranteed runner on the weekend are: David Hayes with #4 Long Leaf ($81) and #9 Enbihaar ($41); John Hawkes after his fourth overall and second in partnership with sons Michael & Wayne with #11 Estijaab ($12); and record holder Gai Waterhouse who chases her seventh Slipper success with #2 Santos ($9)
- Ben Melham is after successive Golden Slipper winning rides as a hoop for the first time since RS Dye won four straight from 1989-1992 aboard #16 Secret Lady
- The other previous Golden Slipper winning jockeys with a guaranteed ride on Saturday are: dual winner Tommy Berry after a third on the undefeated #3 Aylmerton ($17), Blake Shinn on #4 Long Leaf ($81), Kerrin McEvoy on #13 Fiesta ($19) and Damien Oliver on #15 Seabrook ($9)
- She Will Reign was the fourth filly since 2010 to beat home the boys in the Golden Slipper results
- The fillies guaranteed a run in the Golden Slipper field this year are: #9 Enbihaar, #10 Sunlight, #11 Estijaab, #12 Oohood, #13 Fiesta, #14 Sizzling Belle, #15 Seabrook and #16 Secret Lady
- #10 Sunlight ($4.20) is the best fancied of the fillies and leads Golden Slipper betting looking to be the first favourite since Vancouver (2015) to salute
- Golden Slipper favourites have saluted four times in the past 10 years and in that time only one double-figure outsider scored a big upset with Phelan Ready ($26 in 2009)
- Along with #10 Sunlight the other single-figure hopes in Golden Slipper odds this autumn are: #1 Written By ($4.80), #2 Santos ($9) and #15 Seabrook ($9)
- The Reisling Stakes has produced three of the past five Golden Slipper winners including Overreach (2013) who did the double
- #11 Estijaab ($12) chases the Reisling Stakes – Golden Slipper double this season
- The key Golden Slipper lead-up race in the past decade producing five of the nine winners since 2009 is the Todman Stakes with the double last completed by Vancouver (2015)
- #3 Aylmerton ($17) chases the Todman Stakes – Golden Slipper double in 2018
- The other Todman Stakes graduates backing-up in the rematch are: Ef Troop (2nd) and Performer who lost his rider Hugh Bowman during the run
- The only other race to produce a Golden Slipper winner in the past decade is the Sweet Embrace Stakes – Crystal Lily (1st in 2010)
- #15 Seabrook ($9) is after the Sweet Embrace Stakes – Golden Slipper double this year
- The other Sweet Embrace Stakes graduate in the Slipper field this year is #13 Fiesta ($19) who ran second
- #1 Written By ($4.80) is out to do the Pago Pago Stakes – Golden Slipper double on the seven day back-up for the first time since Stratum (2005)
- The other Pago Pago Stakes graduate in the mix this weekend is #8 Sandbar ($12) who ran second
- #2 Santos ($9) is looking to be the first Golden Slipper winner to come directly off a Skyline Stakes winning lead-up with no other race in between since the also Waterhouse-trained Dance Hero (2004)
- #10 Sunlight ($4.20) is looking to be the first Magic Night Stakes – Golden Slipper double winner on successive Saturdays since Bint Marscay (1993)
- Since then just one other Golden Slipper winner came off a Magic Night lead-up with Calaway Gal (2nd in 2002)
- The other Magic Night Stakes graduate in the Group 1 on Saturday is #16 Secret Lady who ran fourth
- No Golden Slipper winner has backed directly up off a Ladbrokes Blue Diamond Stakes run since Courtza (1989) did the double
- Those out to attempt the feat this year are: Enbihaar (2nd), Oohood (3rd), Prairie Fire (4th) Long Leaf (12th)
- Last year’s Golden Slipper winning barrier (11) has produced five winners (since 1983) and with the emergencies out will belong this year to #16 Secret Lady (13) but is currently drawn by #12 Oohood (11)
- Barrier one has produced seven Golden Slipper winners (since 1983) and this year the rails run belongs to #14 Sizzling Belle ($71)
- The horses with the highest Win Rate of the field are the undefeated #1 Written By (100%) and #3 Aylmerton (100%) followed by #10 Sunlight (83%)
- The runners with previous winning form at the Rosehill track are: #1 Sunlight (2:2-0-0), #16 Secret Lady (4:1-1-0), #1 Written By (1:1-0-0), #5 Performer (1:1-0-0), #13 Fiesta (1:1-0-0) and #14 Sizzling Belle (1:1-0-0)
- The hopefuls with previous winning form over the distance (1200m) are: #1 Written By (2:2-0-0), #3 Aylmerton (2:2-0-0), #10 Sunlight (2:2-0-0), #8 Sandbar (3:1-1-0), #2 Santos (1:1-0-0), #11 Estijaab (1:1-0-0) and #15 Seabrook (1:1-0-0)
- #1 Written By is also the only horse in the Golden Slipper field with an official win on Heavy going ahead of a likely mud Rosehill track on Saturday
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.