The Steve Tregea-trained Bergerac held off a...
Winx will draw a crowd to Royal Randwick Racecourse on Saturday with Australia’s darling of the turf out to extend her amazing winning streak to 20 straight in the George Main Stakes 2017, a comprehensive form guide and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Chris Waller’s Hall Of Fame may have had a couple of early scares this time in, but she has still reigned supreme.
In the Warwick Stakes she overcame a missed jump by five lengths to defeat stablemate Foxplay in the final stride first-up, before running down the daring Red Excitement second-up in the Chelmsford Stakes.
There has been plenty of talk off the track about whether the superstar six-year-old is at her best as she heads towards a 13th elite level win in the Group 1 $500,000 George Main Stakes (1600m) on the weekend.
Waller has been happy to shrug off the rumours, as has her regular rider Hugh Bowman who put the daughter of Street Cry to work in an easy solo gallop at Rosehill on Thursday morning.
“She’s in great order,” Bowman told Racing Victoria.
“She was very strong this morning. I worked her here on Tuesday as well and she did a little bit more on Tuesday. She seems to be more relaxed now as we get into the middle of her preparation.
“She’s very strong, she’s very healthy and she’s very well and if she feels like that on Saturday, then we’re in for a treat.”
Winx is $1.09 to defend her title in George Main Stakes betting at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Earlier we looked at Winx vs the History of Favourites in the George Main Stakes.
Now we delve into the full George Main Stakes 2017 form guide and betting statistics to see if there is any chance of a boilover result from the likes of Tramway Stakes winner Happy Clapper ($12) or Red Excitement ($20) who is unlikely to set the same blistering pace as last time out.
2017 George Main Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s George Main Stakes winner was the Waller-trained Winx (2016) who came off a lead-up win in the Group 2 Warwick Stakes (1400m), jumped from barrier 5 (of 6) and was ridden to victory for the punters by Hugh Bowman
- Winx returns this weekend chasing back-to-back George Main Stakes wins for the first time since Kingston Town (1981-2)
- This year the $1.09 favourite comes off a Chelmsford Stakes win at the track and distance after her successful Warwick Stakes title defence
- Two of the past three George Main Stakes winners came off a lead-up run in the Chelmsford Stakes with Sacred Falls (4th in 2014) and Kermadec (2nd in 2015)
- Lonhro (2003) was the last horse to complete the Chelmsford Stakes – George Main Stakes double
- Waller has won four of the past five George Main Stakes also taking out the mile feature with: Shoot Out (2012), Sacred Falls (2014) and Kermadec (2015) – all of which jumped top of the odds
- Along with #7 Winx the other horses in the field for Chris Waller (18-4-4-1) are #4 McCreery ($91), #5 Mackintosh ($61) and #9 Foxplay ($15)
- The other previous George Main Stakes winning trainer with a runner in the 2017 field is Gai Waterhouse (24-4-3-5) with #2 Ecuador ($61)
- Hugh Bowman (9-2-1-1) is out to ride back-to-back George Main Stakes winners for the first time since Larry Cassidy (1992-3) on the reigning champion #7 Winx
- The other previous George Main Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: Blake Shinn (5-1-0-1) on #1 Happy Clapper and Glyn Schofield (7-2-1-0) on #5 Mackintosh
- Favourites have dominated the George Main Stakes results winning six of the past seven editions
- No surprises #7 Winx ($1.09) is favourite in the markets again looking for her 13th Group 1 turf triumph
- Since 2000 the only double-figure George Main Stakes winner was Road To Rock ($41 in 2009)
- The past seven winners finished top four in their lead-up races ruling out #4 McCreery, #5 Mackintosh and #8 Heavens Above this year
- Along with #7 Winx the other last start winner in the George Main Stakes field is #1 Happy Clapper (Group 2 Tramway Stakes, 1400m, Randwick, 02/09/2017)
- #1 Happy Clapper chases the Tramway Stakes – George Main Stakes double last achieved by Sincero (2011)
- Last year’s winning barrier (5) has produced five George Main Stakes winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #2 Ecuador
- The last time George Main Stakes winners won from the same barrier on back-to-back years was the Gai Waterhouse-trained duo of Grand Armee (2004) and Mr Celebrity (2005) from gate 4
- The most successful George Main Stakes barrier in that time producing seven winners is gate four drawn this year by #3 Red Excitement
- #7 Winx is drawn barrier one, which last produced a winner in the race with Sacred Falls (2014)
- #7 Winx is out to become the fourth mare since 2010 to take out the George Main Stakes
- The other mares in the mix this year are #8 Heavens Above and #9 Foxplay
- Five-year-olds have won the race five times in the past decade; #5 Mackintosh is the sole 5YO in the race on Saturday
- No seven-year-old has won the George Main Stakes since Durbridge (1994); #1 Happy Clapper is the 7YO in the field this year
- #2 Ecuador and #3 Red Excitement are out to be the first eight-year-old George Main Stakes winner in over 30 years
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #7 Winx (79%) followed by #5 Mackintosh (40%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #7 Winx (90%) followed by #9 Foxplay (64%) and #1 Happy Clapper (62%)
- The horses with the best record over the distance (1600m) are: #7 Winx (8-7-1-0), #3 Red Excitement (6-3-2-0), #4 McCreery (8-3-3-0), #1 Happy Clapper (6-2-2-1) and #2 Ecuador (10-2-3-0)
- The horses with the best winning strike rate at the Randwick track are: #7 Winx (16-12-3-0), #1 Happy Clapper (13-4-2-1), #3 Red Excitement (11-4-1-0) and #9 Foxplay (6-3-2-0)
Stay tuned for our insider George Main Stakes 2017 tips, checking out the full race form guide below courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.