The countdown to the Sydney Spring Racing...
Peter Gelagotis’ will be after an emotion-charged 2012 Victoria Derby win after the loss of his father earlier this spring but does his three-year-old Hvasstan have what it takes to run the 2500m and win the $1.5 million showdown?
One of the top four chances in the bookmaker.com.au markets for this year’s Group 1 AAMI Victoria Derby – due to run as Flemington Race 6 at 3:00pm (AEST) on Saturday – Fastnet Rock colt Hvasstan currently pays $7 to upset the favouirte It’s A Dundeel ($2.80).
In flying form as a three-year-old Hvasstan has won three of their past four starts most recently hanging on in a tight finish to beat home a field of fellow Derby hopefuls in the Group 3 Norman Robinson Stakes (2000m).
It was a tough win too with the horse suffering a little interference and one they probably should have won by more.
So can they reproduce their last start form and score success again in the Derby? Or will the distance and pressure of the Melbourne Cup Carnival see them fall by the wayside?
#5 Hvasstan – Horse Form
Jockey: Glen Boss
Trainer: Peter Gelagotis
Owners: Mr E Gelagotis, Mr G D Williams, Mr P A Moss, Mr S J Moss, Mr F D Brown, Mr B N Morrow, Mr R A Ford, Dr P M Stevens, Mr M P Stevens, Mr A F M Panozzo, Mr B W Smart, Mr W I Holdsworth, Mr M Gelagotis, Mr M Gotis
Breeding: by Fastnet Rock (AUS) from True Hero (USA) mare Snow Hero (AUS)
Last 6: 421121
Prize Money: $211,475
Current 2012 Victoria Derby Odds: $7
Why Hvasstan Can Win the Victoria Derby 2012
- Beat many of these same horses last start in the Norman Robinson Stakes in a really tough win
- Has experience at Flemington (one of only three in the field with a previous run at the track) having run a good second to Philippi two back in the Listed UCI Stakes (1800m) at the track from a wide barrier (13 of 16)
- Drawn nicely in barrier nine for Saturday giving them options
- Will be ridden by one of the country’s best jockeys Glen Boss, a former Victoria Derby hoop, who has been aboard them for their past three runs
- Has the second highest winning strike rate in the field with 50% following only the favourite #1 It’s A Dundeel ($2.80)
- Their 83.33% Place Rate cannot be ignored – that’s a consistent horse who is hitting their peak at the right time
Why Hvasstan Won’t Be the 2012 Victoria Derby Winner
- While last year’s Victoria Derby winner Sangster came off a second in the Norman Robinson, before that the last Derby champ to come through the race was Amalfi (2001)
- Not bred for this distance with their sire (Fastnet Rock) a champion sprinter and their dam (Snow Hero) having only ever raced over a mile or under competitively
Think you’ve selected your top three for the Victoria Derby trifecta 2012?
Head along to our preferred online sportsbook bookmaker.com.au and lock in your favourites at the guaranteed best prices thanks to their Best Tote markets!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.