The Ben, Will & JD Hayes-trained Cox...
Can Without A Fight Complete the Caulfield Cup – Melbourne Cup 2023 Double?
Eleven stayers have completed what is dubbed as the ‘Spring Cups Double’ winning both the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup races in the same year, but can Without A Fight make it a dozen to achieve the feat when he lines-up in the 2023 Melbourne Cup field on Tuesday?
The Anthony & Sam Freedman-trained son of Teofilo has his second run in a Melbourne Cup race after finishing 13th to Gold Trip as a first-up international raider then with Simon & Ed Crisford last November.
He presents a fitter and more mature horse 12 months on looking to secure victory in the 163rd edition of the $8.41 million classic this spring.
After a stellar winter in Brisbane that saw him win the Group 3 Lord Mayors Cup (1800m) and Group 2 $1.2 million The Q22 (2200m), the seven-year-old has had two lead-up spring runs.
At his latest he was a narrow but convincing winner over the mile and a half in the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) with Mark Zahra in the saddle.
Zahra opted to come off the defending Melbourne Cup winner Gold Trip making the huge call to stick with the Caulfield Cup winner in ‘race that stops a nation’.
“He’s a horse that gets back in his races, but he’s got a real electric turn of foot,” Zahra told the media this week speaking about whether he thinks Without A Fight will see out the 3200m.
“My job is to get him to relax for the Melbourne Cup journey, which he failed over last year, but I think he’s a different horse this year.
“If I get him to relax, his last 400 he has a devastating turn of foot and I think he’ll be right in the finish.”
So, has Zahra made the right call or will Without A Fight be beaten come 3:00pm (AEDT) on Tuesday afternoon?
Click here to bet on Without A Fight to win the Melbourne Cup 2023.
2023 Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #3 Without A Fight
Jockey: Mark Zahra
Trainers: Anthony & Sam Freedman
Owner/s: Sheikh Mohammed Obaid al Maktoum
Breeding: by TEOFILO (IRE) from KHOR SHEED (GB)
Last 10: 1x20x11x61
Prize Money: $4,411,620
Current 2021 Melbourne Cup Odds*: $7.50 (at time of publish) – BET NOW
Why Without A Fight Can Be the 12th Caulfield Cup – Melbourne Cup Double Winner
- Big call by last year’s Melbourne Cup winning jockey Mark Zahra to ride this horse over Gold Trip
- Caulfield Cup looks a superior form line
- Has improved leaps and bounds on last year when 13th to Gold Trip in the 2022 Melbourne Cup
- Third-up and fit with plenty of upside
- Proven Group 1 winning stayer with over $4.4 million in prize money
- Last year’s Melbourne Cup was in rain-affected going and he’ll get firmer conditions here
- Has won up to 2787m twice
- Well-weighted for a Caulfield Cup champ
Why Without A Fight Won’t Win the Melbourne Cup in 2023
- Beaten over 21 lengths with less weight in last year’s race
- Caulfield Cup – Melbourne Cup double hasn’t been completed since Ethereal (2001)
- Needs to stay the 3200m distance
- Yet to win at Flemington
- Some strong internationals and Gold Trip to beat
- Drawn wider out in gate 16 with some of his key rivals coming up with better barriers
*Note: 2023 Melbourne Cup odds are correct at time of publish, provided by Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change without notice.
THINK. IS THIS A BET YOU REALLY WANT TO PLACE?
For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.