Sunday at the Sunshine Coast sees the postponed...
The 2018 South Australian Derby steals the show in Adelaide on Saturday and below we have our full form guide analysis and betting preview for the staying showdown.
Running as Morphettville Race 7 at 4:06pm (ACST), this season’s Group 1 $600,000 South Australian Derby (2500m) features a capacity field of three-year-olds and currently four are under double-figures for the win at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Heading the latest South Australian Derby betting markets at $3.80 is the Darren Weir-trained Leicester looking to hand Weir with a third straight win in the race.
The Wanted gelding took out the Group 3 Chairman’s Stakes (2035m) here last time out and looks a genuine winning hope to do the double rising in distance on Saturday.
The next shortest priced South Australian Derby odds on offer are for market mover Tangled ($6) and High ‘N’ Dry ($6) both drawn out wide.
Chris Waller’s perennial placegetter Tangled comes off a trio of top three runs including two at elite level in Sydney.
After a Rosehill Guineas (2000m) second and ATC Derby (2400m) third, the Snitzel colt was last seen finishing a nostril-flare second in the Group 3 Frank Packer Plate (2000m) on April 21 and will relish coming back up in distance.
High ‘N’ Dry meanwhile has work to do from the wide alley, but the Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra-trained gelding is used to nasty barriers and continues to find ways to overcome them including in the lead-up Chairman’s Stakes second.
2018 South Australian Derby Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s SA Derby winner was the Darren Weir-trained Volatile Mix (2017) who came off a lead-up fourth in the Group 3 Chairman’s Stakes (2030m) at the track and jumped from barrier 11 (of 14) with John Allen aboard
- Trainer Darren Weir also prepared the 2016 SA Derby champ Howard Be Thy Name (2016) and chases a hat-trick in 2018 with: #3 Leicester ($3.80), #4 Civil Disobedience ($14), #9 Savaheat ($31) and #14 Amerock ($21)
- The only other previous SA Derby winning trainer with a runner on the weekend is David Hayes with #8 Won Won Too, #10 Rezealient and the fourth emergency #20e Creedence
- Last year’s winning jockey John Allen chases a third straight win in the race as a hoop aboard #4 Civil Disobedience
- The only other previous SA Derby winning jockey with a ride on Saturday is Damien Oliver on #5 Main Stage ($12)
- The Chairman’s Stakes has produced three of the past four SA Derby winners with Howard Be Thy Name (2016) the last to do the double
- #3 Leicester chases the Chairman’s Stakes – SA Derby double in 2018
- The other Chairman’s Stakes graduates in the South Australian Derby field on the weekend are: High ‘N’ Dry (2nd), Amerock (3rd), Box On Collins (4th), Savaheat (5th) and Civil Disobedience (8th)
- In the past 12 years seven SA Derby favourites have saluted for the punters including most recently Delicacy ($1.90 in 2015); #3 Leicester ($3.80) is out to be the next to get the job done this weekend
- In the past decade two fillies have beaten home the boys in the South Australian Derby results with Zarita (2008) and Delicacy (2015); there are no fillies in the race this weekend
- Along with the favourite #3 Leicester there are three other last start winners in the mix with: #7 Runaway (Listed VRC St Leger, 2800m, Flemington, 25/04/2018); #12 Into Rio (BM64, 2200m, Pakenham Synthetic, 26/04/2018) and the first emergency #17e Tropical Lightning (BM64, 2050m, Strathalbyn, 02/05/2018)
- Last year’s winning barrier (11) has produced four SA Derby winners (since 1984) and is drawn by #15 Nothin’ Leica High before the emergencies come out
- Three of the four emergencies are drawn inside of barrier 11 however meaning the other potential starters from last year’s successful gate are: #6 High Sherrif (12), #4 Civil Disobedience (13) and #7 Runaway (14)
- The most successful SA Derby barrier (since 1984) producing five winners is barrier 16; the outside gate will belong on Saturday to #1 Amerock (20 into 16)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #6 High Sherrif (50%) followed by #3 Leicester (38%)
- The best Place Rate of the field also belongs to #6 High Sherrif (75%) followed by #15 Nothin’ Leica High (67%) and the third emergency #19e Johnny Vinko (67%)
- The previous winners at the Morphettville track are #11 Silent Command (5:2-0-0) and #9 Savaheat (1:1-0-0)
- No horse in the SA Derby field has previous winning form over the distance (2500m)
Stay tuned for our insider South Australian Derby 2018 tips to be published shortly, checking out the full race form guide below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.