There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
The Winterbottom Stakes 2017 steals the show in W.A. on the weekend and below the Races.com.au team have a full form guide analysis and betting preview on the million dollar Perth sprint.
Due to run as Ascot Race 7 at 4:50pm (AWST), this season’s Group 1 $1 million Crown Perth Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) is shaping up as a battle between wests hosts east.
Currently leading Winterbottom Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au at $2.90 to keep the trophy at home is the Grant & Alana Williams-trained local State Solicitor.
To be ridden by dual Winterbottom Stakes winning hoop William Pike, flying Nicconi five-year-old State Solicitor chases a fourth win on the trot and comes off the lead-up victory in the Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes (1100m).
The danger according to the Winterbottom Stakes betting markets over from the east coast is the Lloyd Kennewell-trained mare Viddora ($4.20).
Based in Adelaide, the super-consistent daughter of I Am Invincible has had three Group 1 runs this year for two seconds and a last start fourth when luckless behind Hey Doc at The Valley in the Ladbrokes Manikato Stakes (1200m).
She is yet to win over 1200m but her trainer is brimming with confidence she’ll run out the distance without a worry in the Winterbottom Stakes on the weekend.
2017 Winterbottom Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Winterbottom Stakes winner was the Gary Moore-trained Sydney raider Takedown (2016) who came off an unplaced Group 3 run at Flemington and saluted from barrier 8 (of 12) with Tim Clark aboard the $8.50 chance
- Takedown became the fourth eastern state raider since 2011 to overcome the locals in the Winterbottom Stakes results
- The visitors in the Winterbottom Stakes field for 2017 are: #2 Santa Ana Lane (VIC), #9 Viddora (SA) and #12 Fuhryk (VIC)
- The previous Winterbottom Stakes winning trainers (since 1983) with a runner this weekend are: Simon Miller with #10 Whispering Brook ($18) and #13 Caipirinha ($20); and David Hayes with #12 Fuhryk ($10)
- The previous Winterbottom Stakes winning jockeys (since 1983) with a ride on Saturday are: Damien Oliver on #1 Fuhryk, dual champion William Pike on #8 State Solicitor ($2.90), and triple winner Jason Brown after his fourth aboard #10 Whispering Brook
- Last year’s winning barrier (8) has produced six Winterbottom Stakes winners (since 1983) and belongs this weekend to #10 Whispering Brook
- The other most successful Winterbottom Stakes barriers in that time are 1 (5 winners), 2 (4 winners) and 5 (4 winners); those coveted gates are drawn this year by: #3 Durendal (1), #7 Profit Street (2) and #11 Dainty Tess (5)
- Since 2005 only two Winterbottom Stakes winners have jumped from double-digit barriers; those to overcome the hoodoo in 2017 are: #5 Malibu Style (10), #2 Santa Ana Lane (11) and #13 Caipirinha (12)
- Since 2011 four of the six Winterbottom Stakes winners came off a lead-up run at Flemington Racecourse; the Flemington graduates in the mix this year are: #1 Rock Magic (Group 1 Darley Classic 6th), #5 Malibu Style (Group 2 Salinger Stakes 12th) and #12 Fuhryk (Group 3 Maybe Mahal Stakes 9th)
- Takedown (Group 3 Chatham Stakes 5th in 2016) became the first Winterbottom Stakes winner to finish worse than fourth in the lead-up since Hadabeclorka (Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes 6th in 2010)
- Since 2010 four of the six Winterbottom Stakes winners came off a lead-up victory; the last-start winners in the mix this year are: #2 Santa Ana Lane (Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes, 1400m, Caulfield, 01/10/2017) and #8 State Solicitor (Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes, 1100m, Ascot, 18/11/2017)
- #8 State Solicitor is out to do the Colonel Reeves Stakes – Winterbottom Stakes double for the first time since Barakey (2012)
- #8 State Solicitor also leads Winterbottom Stakes betting and is out to be the fifth favourite in the past seven years to salute for the punters
- Since 2004 five mares have won the Winterbottom Stakes most recently with Magnifisio (2014); the mares in this year’s field are: #9 Viddora, #10 Whispering Brook, #11 Dainty Tess, #12 Fuhryk and #13 Caipirinha
- #1 Rock Magic and #4 Dream Lifter are out to join Buffering (2015) as the only eight-year-old winners of the race in the past 30 plus years
- #1 Rock Magic ($6) is out to improve on his third in the Winterbottom Stakes trifecta last year
- #8 State Solicitor is the other Winterbottom Stakes graduate from 2016 looking to improve 12 months on
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #8 State Solicitor (75%) followed by #12 Fuhryk (46%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #11 Dainty Tess (85%) followed by #4 Dream Lifter (77%), #7 Profit Street (75%) and #8 State Solicitor (75%)
- The runners with the best winning strike rate at the Ascot track are: #11 Dainty Tess (17:7-4-3), #8 State Solicitor (6:4-0-0), #10 Whispering Brook (8:4-0-1), #13 Caipirinha (13:4-3-2), #1 Rock Magic (10:3-1-2), #4 Dream Lifter (11:3-2-2) and #5 Malibu Style (16:3-2-4)
- The hopefuls in the field with the best winning form over the distance (1200m) are: #4 Dream Lifter (12:6-2-1), #3 Durendal (15:6-1-4), #8 State Solicitor (9:6-0-0), #12 Fuhryk (9:5-1-0) and #7 Profit Street (10:5-2-1)
Stay tuned for our insider Winterbottom Stakes 2017 tips, checking out the full race form guide courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au in the meantime below.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.