There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
A star-studded line-up spring stayers face off in the Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes 2017 on Saturday, a full race form guide and betting preview on the event won by Winx 12 months ago detailed below.
Set to run as Race 7 on Ladbrokes Caulfield Guineas Day, there are 11 runners in this year’s Group 1 $1 million Ladbrokes Stakes (2000m) field, a nice increase on the three that lined-up last year thanks to the presence of Winx.
Heading the latest Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au is early 2017 Caulfield Cup favourite Bonneval ($3), the flying New Zealand-trained mare coming off six consecutive wins.
Her winning streak may pale in comparison to that of super star Winx, but the four-year-old daughter of Makfi has certainly been impressive in Melbourne this spring on way to the Spring Cups double.
A dual Oaks winner as a filly last time in, she won the Dato’ Tan Chin Nam first-up at The Valley before the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m) success at Caulfield on October 1.
Prepared by Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman across the Tasman, Bonneval could be hard to hold out again this weekend going up to 2000m and stripping fitter third-up before she backs-up in the Group 1 $3 million Caulfield Cup (2400m) Saturday week.
What beats Bonneval?
The Godolphin-raced Cox Plate – Melbourne Cup placegetter last spring Hartnell couldn’t get the job done last time out running second in the Underwood Stakes, but there’s money for him to turn the tables on the weekend.
Hartnell occupies the second line of Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes betting at a close $3.40 and is also better suited to the increased distance of the rematch.
To see if there is any value tipping anything other than Bonneval and Hartnell in the race, below we go over the comprehensive Ladbrokes Stakes 2017 form guide, betting history and race statistics.
2017 Ladbrokes Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Ladbrokes Stakes winner was the Chris Waller-trained Winx (2016) who backed up off a Sydney Group 1 George Main Stakes (1600m) win, jumped from barrier 3 (of 3) and was ridden to victory by Hugh Bowman as the odds-on favourite
- The only previous Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes winning trainer (since 1983) with a runner this weekend is dual winning horseman John Hawkes with #7 Inference ($20)
- The previous Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes winning jockeys (since 1983) with a ride this year are: dual winning hoop Glen Boss on Irish raider #4 Riven Light ($18) and Damien Oliver who chases a fifth win in the race on #10 The Taj Mahal ($14) also over from Ireland for the spring
- Last year’s winning barrier (3) has produced six Caulfield Stakes winners (since 1983) and is drawn on Saturday by #7 Inference
- The last time Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes winners won from the same barrier on successive years was 2012-213 when Ocean Park and Atlantic Jewel respectively saluted from gate five
- The most successful Caulfield Stakes barrier in that time producing seven winners is gate five drawn this year by #2 Gailo Chop ($10)
- In the past decade five favourites in Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes betting have saluted for the punters with #11 Bonneval ($3) out to be the next this weekend
- In that time just two Caulfield Stakes winners saluted at double-figures and the others under $10 for the win this year are: #1 Hartnell ($3.40) and #6 Jon Snow ($9.50)
- Just three last-start winners have won the Caulfield Stakes in the past 10 years
- The last start winners in the Ladbrokes Stakes field in 2017 are #4 Riven Light (Listed Listowel takes, 1810m, Ireland, 13/09/2017), #6 Jon Snow (Group 3 JRA Cup, 2040m, Moonee Valley, 29/09/2017) and #11 Bonneval (Group 1 Underwood Stakes, 1800m, Caulfield, 01/10/2010)
- Since 2006 six Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes winners had their final lead-up in the Underwood Stakes at the same track with Ocean Park (2012) the last to do the double
- #11 Bonneval chases the Underwood Stakes – Ladbrokes Stakes double this spring
- The other Underwood Stakes graduates in the mix are: Hartnell (2nd), Gailo Chop (3rd), Single Gaze (4th) and Inference (6th)
- #11 Bonneval is out to join Winx (2016) and Atlantic Jewel (2013) as the only mares to win the Caulfield Stakes since Tristarc (1985)
- The other mares in the Ladbrokes Stakes 2017 field are: #8 Single Gaze ($20) and #9 Abbey Marie ($26)
- Four five-year-olds have won the Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes in the past decade; the 5YOs out to be the next are #3 Johannes Vermeer, #5 Calderon, #8 Single Gaze and #9 Abbey Marie
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #11 Bonneval (70%) followed by #2 Gailo Chop (45%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #11 Bonneval (80%) followed by #2 Gailo Chop (70%)
- The previous winners at the Caulfield track are: #1 Hartnell (2-1-1-0), #9 Abbey Marie (5-1-0-0) and #11 Bonneval (1-1-0-0)
- The horses with the best winning form over the distance (2000m) are: #2 Gailo Chop (8-5-0-0), #11 Hartnell (11-4-3-1) and #6 Jon Snow (3-2-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes 2017 tips, checking out the full race form guide provided by Ladbrokes.com.au in the meantime below.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.