The Joe Pride-trained sprint star Eduardo is red...
Winx debuts at Flemington Racecourse this weekend and the mighty mare is at impossibly short odds to post her 21st straight turf triumph, so below we take a look at the full Turnbull Stakes 2017 form guide and betting statistics to see just how likely another Winx win is.
After running down Happy Clapper for her 20th win on the trot in the Group 1 George Main Stakes (1600m) at Randwick on September 16, trainer Chris Waller made the call to race Winx at Flemington for the first time on way to the Ladbrokes Cox Plate.
The dual defending Cox Plate champion will be out to further prove her freakish ability and versatility at Headquarters on Saturday in the Group 1 $500,000 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) and the bookies are taking no chances.
The danger causing the Turnbull Stakes drift on Winx? Humidor.
Darren Weir’s five-year-old is a two-time Group 1 winner at Flemington including the outstanding romp home last start in the Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m).
So does the Turnbull Stakes form guide, betting history and statistical date on the spring feature suggest Winx can be beaten?
2017 Turnbull Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Turnbull Stakes winner was the Godolphin-raced Hartnell (2016) who came off a Randwick win in the Group 2 Hill Stakes (2000m), jumped from barrier 3 (of 12) and had James McDonald aboard for the three length victory over subsequent Caulfield Cup winner Jameka
- Hartnell was odds-on favourite in Turnbull Stakes betting and this year #2 Winx ($1.18) also starts under $2 in the event
- Just three Turnbull Stakes favourites have got the job done since 2006
- Since 2007 five of the 10 Turnbull Stakes winners jumped at double-digit odds including the big 2013 upset by Happy Trails ($26 in 2013)
- #2 Winx and #1 Humidor ($4.80) are the only single-figure hopes in the Turnbull Stakes odds this year
- Chris Waller prepares #2 Winx and won the Turnbull Stakes in 2015 with Preferment who, like Hartnell the following year, completed the Hill Stakes – Turnbull Stakes double
- The other previous Turnbull Stakes winning trainers with a runner on Saturday are David Hayes with #3 Ventura Storm ($26), and Robert Hickmott with #4 Assign ($101) and #6 Sir Isaac Newton ($61)
- The previous Turnbull Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Hugh Bowman on #2 Winx, Dwayne Dunn on the race roughie #7 Skyfire ($301) and dual winning hoop Damien Oliver on #6 Sir Isaac Newton
- Since 2010 three last start winners have taken out the Turnbull Stakes
- Along with #2 Winx (Group 1 George Main Stakes, 1600m, Randwick, 16/09/2017) the other last start winner in the field in 2017 is #1 Humidor (Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes, 1600m, Flemington, 16/09/2017)
- #2 Winx is out to be the first Turnbull Stakes winner to come off the George Main Stakes since Lucia Valentina (6th in 2014)
- #1 Humidor is out to make history as the first Turnbull Stakes winner to come off a Flemington lead-up in over 30 years
- Last year’s winning barrier (3) has produced just the one winner (since 1983)
- Of the available barriers in the small Turnbull Stakes field in 2017 the most successful (since 1983) with four wins – including two in the past four years – is gate five drawn this year by #3 Ventura Storm
- Lucia Valentina (2014) is the only Turnbull Stakes winning mare since 2007
- #2 Winx is the only mare in this year’s Turnbull Stakes field
- Six-year-olds have dominated the Turnbull Stakes results with six wins since 2006
- The 6YOs in the mix this year are #2 Winx, #5 Magicool, #6 Sir Isaac Newton and #7 Skyfire
- #2 Winx (80%) boasts the Highest Win Rate of the field followed by #3 Ventura Storm (40%)
- #2 Winx (90%) also has the Best Place Rate followed by #1 Humidor (72%)
- The only previous Flemington winners in the mix are #1 Humidor (3:2-0-0) and #5 Magicool (6:2-0-0)
- The horses with the best record over the distance (2000m) are: #2 Winx (5:4-0-0), #1 Humidor (4:3-1-0), #4 Assign (7:3-1-1), #6 Sir Isaac Newton (5:2-0-1) and #5 Magicool (7:2-0-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Turnbull Stakes 2017 tips on what horses will finish in the money behind Winx on Saturday, checking out the full form guide below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.