The money continues to roll in for Annabel...
The likely 2012 Caulfield Guineas field became clearer today when Racing Victoria released second declarations for the three-year-olds’ classic that runs in Melbourne on Saturday October 13.
The number of gallopers heading towards a start in the $1 million Group 1 The Age Caulfield Guineas (1600m) was cut from 77 to just 34.
The most notable omissions from the 2012 Caulfield Guineas entries at second declaration stage include:
- It’s A Dundeel (Murray Baker) – Kiwi galloper yet to taste defeat with four wins from as many starts including three in Sydney, most recently taking out the Group 3 Gloaming Stakes over 1800m at Randwick, will go to the Spring Champion Stakes & the Victoria Derby instead
- Stralia (Mark Riley) – Was one of the top fancies in the early Guineas markets, lightly-raced Stratum colt is a back-to-back winner in their opening two career starts at Flemington before crossing a close second to Snitzerland in the Group 2 Danehill Stakes
- Limes (Peter Snowden) – Goes to the Spring Champion having run fourth in the Spring Stakes at Newcastle last week but not up to the class of the Caulfield Guineas
- Your Song (Anthony Cummings) – Was in flying form leading into the Golden Rose but could only manage to finish eighth
Meanwhile the hot Caulfield Guineas betting favourite Pierro, who was nearing odds-on territory at bookmaker.com.au paying $2.10 before second declarations, remains in contention.
Unbeaten to date Pierro will look to keep their flawless race record intact on Friday night running in the Group 2 Bill Stutt Stakes at Moonee Valley, giving the triple crown champ a look at the track as they head towards the 2012 Cox Plate there on October 27.
Waterhouse also prepares second pick in the Caulfield Guineas odds with Proisir, the Choisir colt also unbeaten to date having won all three of their starts including the Group 3 Newcastle Spring Stakes (1600m) by an impressive six lengths last week.
The other best fancied of the Tulloch Lodge contingent is then Kabayan, the Haradasun gelding runner-up to Sizzling in the Group 1 TJ Smith in Brisbane last season.
Set to run in either the Stan Fox Stakes or the Dulcify Quality Handicap at Rosehill on Saturday, Kabayan will be third-up for the season and was last seen finishing a credible fifth to Epaulette in the Group 1 Golden Rose on September 15.
Other three-year-olds high up the Caulfield Guineas 2012 odds at bookmaker.com.au that are among the still in contention include:
- Epaulette (Peter Snowden) – Out for back-to-back wins for Snowden following the success of last year’s Caulfield Guineas winner Helmet, this in-form Commands colt won the Golden Rose last time out in an upset
- Albrecht (Peter Snowden) – Also prepared by Snowden this Redoute’s Choice colt is in flying form, won the Group 3 Up & Coming Stakes over 1300 in August before their brave second in the Golden Rose, runs in the Stan Fox Stakes this weekend which will decide whether they press onto the Guineas
- All Too Hard (Team Hawkes) – Triple stakes winner beaten by Pierro in the Sires Produce in Sydney last season, has been disappointing this time in including their fourth to Shoot Out in the George Main Stakes over the mile last Saturday, tipped to improve getting back to the Melbourne way of racing
The last round of 2012 Caulfield Guineas declarations revealing the final field plus the barrier draw will be released on October 10 and published right here at Races.com.au.
Updated Caulfield Guineas betting odds will be re-released at bookmaker.com.au soon so take the chance now to join the online betting revolution and open an account with the bookie offering better and more fixed win odds than any other sportsbook.
2012 Caulfield Guineas Second Declarations
Caulfield Racecourse – 13/10/2012
|1||ABOUT SQUARE (NZ)||Michael Moroney|
|4||ALL TOO HARD||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes|
|6||AWESOME BRO (NZ)||Leon Corstens|
|7||BISHOPS CASTLE (NZ)||Michael Moroney|
|9||CARRINGBUSH JACK||Leon Corstens|
|10||DEFIANT ANGEL||Anthony Freedman|
|11||DIVINE MOON||Bart Cummings|
|15||IF I COULD (NZ)||Mark Kavanagh|
|18||LET GO LENNI||Mick Price|
|19||LIBERTY ROCK||Peter G Moody|
|26||ROAD TRIPPIN||Stephen Theodore|
|27||SAINT OR SINNER (NZ)||Michael Moroney|
|28||SERGEANT AT ARMS||Mark Kavanagh|
|29||SHAMEXPRESS (NZ)||Danny O’Brien|
|30||SUPER COOL||Mark Kavanagh|
|32||TIMELY TRUCE||Ricky Maund|
|33||TROPHIES||John P Thompson|
|34||ZAHEE (NZ)||Mick Price|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.