Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The $500,000 Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) is the feature Sydney Autumn Carnival race running this Saturday March 26 and 20 three-year-olds have been nominated for the showdown.
Running as part of the elite line-up at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, the 2011 Rosehill Guineas is an ideal preparatory run for horses heading towards a start in the $1.5 million Group 1 AJC Australian Derby (2400m) at Randwick on April 16.
Champion New Zealand galloper Jimmy Choux heads the early list of Rosehill Guineas nominees.
The consistent Thorn Park colt from Hastings in New Zealand is seeking his fourth consecutive victory having won all of his starts from Boxing Day until now at Group level in NZ.
Most recently Jimmy Choux claimed an excellent two length win in the Group 1 New Zealand Derby (2400m) on March 5 on a bog track proving that although not a genuine stayer, he can run and win over the 2400m.
Trainer John Bary was originally considering a crack at the Doncaster Mile with his stable star, but has since abandoned these plans with Jimmy Choux more suited to a face-off against fellow three-year-olds in the AJC Derby.
The last Kiwi trained horse to win the Australian Derby was the classy Nom Du Jeu in 2008.
Jimmy Choux currently sits on the third line of AJC Australian Derby betting at a quote of $8 through Luxbet.
The Michael Moroney-trained Absolutelyawesome is the $5 AJC Derby favourite followed by Peter Snowden’s Rahy colt Retrieve paying $7 and both top fancies are also among the Rosehill Guineas nominations.
Recent Group Winners among the 2011 Rosehill Guineas Nominees are:
- Shamrocker (Danny O’Brien) – Smart O’Reilly filly claimed a massive upset winning the Group 1 Australian Guineas (1600m) at Flemington last-start
- Domesky (Michael Kent) – Cranbourne-based galloper showed great improvement winning the Group 2 Alister Clark Stakes (2040m) at Moonee Valley last Friday night
Other notable 2011 Rosehill Guineas entries include:
- Anacheeva (Peter Moody) – Last year’s Caulfield Guineas winner fourth-up for the season, has been disappointing this year but finally running over 2000m should be much improved
- Skilled (Peter Snowden) – Improving Commands colt finished in the money in all three starts this prep including a close second to Ilovethiscity in the Group 1 Randwick Guineas (1600m) on March 12
- Light Brigade (Gai Waterhouse) – Up-and-coming son of Redoute’s Choice most recently placed third in the Randwick Guineas
The 2011 Rosehill Guineas final field and barrier draw will be out tomorrow and published here first at Races.com.au followed by the race form guide, odds and our insider tips.
Be the first to place your Rosehill Guineas bets at the best prices when markets open by signing up with the Tabcorp-owned and trusted Luxbet today.
2011 Rosehill Guineas Nominations
|#||Horse||Trainer||Ballot||Weight (kg)||Hcp. Rating|
|1||JIMMY CHOUX (NZ)||John Bary||1||56.5||105|
|2||ANACHEEVA||Peter G Moody||2||56.5||107|
|7||PRAECIDO (NZ)||David Payne||8||56.5||92|
|9||HE’S REMARKABLE (NZ)||Roger James||10||56.5||80|
|10||LIGHT BRIGADE||Gai Waterhouse||11||56.5||80|
|12||MAULES CREEK||John P Thompson||13||56.5||71|
|13||ABSOLUTELYAWESOME (NZ)||Michael Moroney||14||56.5||78|
|14||SHOOTOFF (NZ)||Graeme Rogerson||15||56.5||69|
|15||GILDED SPUR||Anthony Cummings||16||56.5||70|
|17||DON’T PUT IT THERE (NZ)||Jim & Greg Lee||19||56.5||–|
|19||SHAMROCKER (NZ)||Danny O’Brien||3||54.5||105|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.