The Ron Quinton-trained Royal Celebration is one...
The world’s best mare Winx has her autumn Grand Final at Royal Randwick this weekend defending her title in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2018, a detailed form guide and betting preview on the $4 million classic detailed below.
Chasing the 25 straight wins that Black Caviar achieved, Chris Waller’s Street Cry six-year-old is also after her Group 1 win number 18 when she lines-up as the hot favourite in the Group 1 $4 million Longines Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) on Day 2 of ‘The Championships’.
Winx won the race 12 months ago after wins in the Chipping Norton and George Ryder, and she brings the exact same form lines into the Queen Elizabeth Stakes for 2018.
Hugh Bowman continues his ace association with the triple Cox Plate champion who is out to make it seven from eight over the 2000m distance.
No surprises Winx, even from the outside barrier 10 draw, sits top of the Queen Elizabeth Stakes odds at $1.18 through Ladbrokes.com.au.
None of her rivals are under double-figures with the next best in Queen Elizabeth Stakes betting being the rails-drawn Humidor ($11) who ran second to Winx in last year’s Cox Plate and his stablemate, the fellow Darren Weir-trained Gailo Chop ($14) coming off a fourth to Almandin in the Tancred Stakes over the mile and a half.
Winx will win no doubt, but there is still a trifecta to tip so below we go over the full Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2018 form guide, betting history and statistical data to uncover any hidden value in the markets.
2018 Queen Elizabeth Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Queen Elizabeth Stakes winner was the Chris Waller-trained Winx (2017) who backed-up from the Chipping Norton – George Ryder double, jumped from barrier 3 (of 9) and was ridden to a 5.3 length victory by Hugh Bowman as the odds-on favourite
- #9 Winx ($1.18) returns in 2018 chasing back-to-back Queen Elizabeth Stakes wins for the first time since Grand Armee (2004-05)
- #9 Winx ($1.18) is out to be the fourth favourite since 2010 to salute for the punters in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes results and the second on the trot after she won 12 months ago
- Chris Waller chases back-to-back Queen Elizabeth Stakes wins by a trainer for the first time since Gai Waterhouse with Grand Armee (2004-05)
- Waller has won the race three times and along with the defending champion #9 Winx he is also represented in Saturday’s race by #7 Comin’ Through ($34)
- There are no other previous Queen Elizabeth Stakes winning trainers with a starter on the weekend
- Hugh Bowman chases back-to-back Queen Elizabeth Stakes wins by a jockey for the first time since Nash Rawiller (2011-12) and his third in the race overall having also saluted on the Waller-trained Reliable Man in 2013
- The only other previous Queen Elizabeth Stakes winning jockey with a ride on Saturday is Craig Williams on #4 Ambitious ($31)
- Last year’s winning barrier (3) has produced four Queen Elizabeth Stakes winners since 1983 and belongs on Saturday to #10 Consensus ($101)
- #9 Winx jumps from barrier 10 of 10, the gate last producing a winner in fellow mare Lucia Valentina (2016)
- The most successful Queen Elizabeth Stakes barrier (since 1983) producing six winners is barrier 4 drawn this year by #6 Classic Uniform ($151)
- Barrier 2 with five wins in that time is the next most successful gate and is drawn on Saturday by Winx’s stablemate #7 Comin’ Through
- #9 Winx is looking to win the Chipping Norton – George Ryder – Queen Elizabeth Stakes treble for the second time in as many years
- The George Ryder Stakes has produced three Queen Elizabeth Stakes winners since 2013
- Three last start winners have won the race since 2011 and along with Winx the other last-start winner in the line-up is #1 Happy Clapper (Group 1 Doncaster Mile, 1600m, Randwick, 07/04/2018)
- The Doncaster Mile has produced just winners since 2010 including most recently More Joyous (2012) who did the double #1 Happy Clapper ($17) chases on Saturday
- Only one Queen Elizabeth Stakes winner since 1989 has come off a non-Sydney lead-up; that rules out Irish raider #5 Success Days ($34) and Victorian visitor #8 Odeon ($91)
- Mares have won the race three times since 2012 and along with #9 Winx the other mare in the line-up this weekend is #10 Consensus ($101)
- Just one seven-year-old has won the Queen Elizabeth Stakes in over 30 years with Sarrera (2008); this year #1 Happy Clapper and #2 Gailo Chop ($14) are out to be the next
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #9 Winx (82%) followed by #2 Gailo Chop (46%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #9 Winx (91%) followed by #7 Comin’ Through (71%)
- The horses with the best winning record at the Randwick track are: #9 Winx (18:14-3-0), #1 Happy Clapper (18:7-4-1), #6 Classic Uniform (8:3-0-2) and #7 Comin’ Through (8:2-2-2)
- The horses with the best winning record over the 2000m distance are: #2 Gailo Chop (13:7-1-0), #9 Winx (7:6-0-0), #3 Humidor (6:3-2-1) and #5 Success Days (10:3-4-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2018 tips, checking out the full Winx form for the race below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.