The airborne Kelly Schweida-trained...
The 2017 Makybe Diva Stakes takes centre stage at Flemington Racecourse this weekend with a gun field of milers facing off in the Group 1 and below we have a look at the full race form guide and betting statistics.
Running as Race 7 on a bumper nine-race card on Saturday, the Group 1 $750,000 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) has attracted a talented 12-horse field led by the James Cummings-trained Hartnell.
Godolphin’s outstanding import has been one of the most consistent Group 1 performers over the past couple of seasons and will relish another spring run without Winx to rain on his parade.
He has avoided the Sydney races this time in where Winx is putting her rivals to bed as expected and instead kicked things off with a comprehensive Group 2 P.B. Lawrence Stakes (1400m) victory at Caulfield.
The seven-year-old has reportedly improved since and is set to fire off another big run for his first Group 1 success since the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) at the Flemington track last October.
The Makybe Diva Stakes odds on a Hartnell win are short, into odds-on territory at $1.75 through Ladbrokes.com.au, with the only perceivable danger being the Darren Weir-trained Black Heart Bart ($6) who finished second in the race 12 months ago.
Below we take a look at the full Makybe Diva Stakes 2017 form guide, betting history and statistical data on the spring classic to uncover any value in the market outside the favourite.
2017 Makybe Diva Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Makybe Diva Stakes winner was the Darren Weir-trained Palentino ($9 in 2016) who defeated stablemate Black Heart Bart from barrier 5 (of 13) with Mark Zahra aboard, improving on a lead-up fifth in the Memsie Stakes
- Darren Weir (6-1-2-1) is back in 2017 chasing successive wins by a trainer for the first time since David Hayes (2004-05) with three runners: #2 Black Heart Bart ($6), #5 Gailo Chop ($19) and #6 Humidor ($13)
- The only other previous Makybe Diva Stakes winning trainer with a runner on the weekend is David Hayes (23-3-1-0) with #7 Ventura Storm ($41) and #11 Seaburge ($67)
- Last year’s winning jockey Mark Zahra (5-1-0-1) is out to ride successive winners in the event for the first time since Craig Williams (2011-12) aboard #5 Gailo Chop
- The other previous Makybe Diva Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: Brad Rawiller (5-1-0-1) on #2 Black Heart Bart, Ben Melham (5-1-0-0) on #3 Le Romain, Craig Williams (13-3-0-2) on #11 Seaburge and Damien Oliver (21-4-2-2) on #4 Tavago ($34)
- Two of the past three Makybe Diva Stakes winners came off a lead-up Memsie Stakes run: Palentino (5th in 2016) and Dissident (1st in 2014)
- This year’s Memsie Stakes graduates in the Makybe Diva Stakes field are: Black Heart Bart (2nd), Hey Doc (4th), Le Romain (5th), Jon Snow (6th), Humidor (8th), Single Gaze (10th) and Seaburge (11th)
- #1 Hartnell ($1.75) is out to be the first Makybe Diva Stakes winner to back directly off a P.B. Lawrence Stakes run since Shocking (7th in 2010) and the first to do the double since Pompeii Ruler (2006)
- In the past decade three last start winners have taken out the Makybe Diva Stakes
- Along with #1 Hartnell the other hopeful coming off a victory is #5 Gailo Chop (Listed Penny Edition Stakes, 1400m, Morphettville, 02/09/2017); in 2012 Southern Speed completed the Penny Edition – Makybe Diva Stakes double
- Only two favourites in Makybe Diva Stakes betting have saluted for the punters since 2002; #1 Hartnell is out to be the next on Saturday
- Last year’s winning barrier (5) has produced only two Makybe Diva Stakes winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #3 Le Romain ($9)
- The last time Makybe Diva Stakes winners saluted from the same gate on back-to-back years was in 2004 – 2005 with the David Hayes-trained duo of Hugs Dancer and Confectioner
- The most successful Makybe Diva Stakes barrier in that time producing five winners is gate one drawn this year by #5 Gailo Chop ($19)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #5 Gailo Chop (50%) followed by #9 Hey Doc (44%) and #7 Ventura Storm (43%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #3 Le Romain (80%) followed by #2 Black Heart Bart (74%)
- Five-year-olds have the best record in the past decade winning the Makybe Diva Stakes four times; the 5YOs in the mix this year are: #3 Le Romain, #4 Tavago, #6 Humidor, #7 Ventura Storm and #12 Single Gaze
- #12 Single Gaze ($81) is the sole mare in the Makybe Diva Stakes field on Saturday looking to join Southern Speed (2012) as the only female winner of the race since Saleous (1996)
- The horses with the best record over the distance (1600m) are: #1 Hartnell (8-3-2-0), #3 Le Romain (4-2-0-0), #4 Tavago (5-2-0-1), #5 Gailo Chop (4-2-1-1), #6 Humidor (4-2-1-0), #7 Ventura Storm (3-2-0-0), #9 Hey Doc (5-2-0-1) and #12 Single Gaze (2-2-0-0)
- #8 Jon Snow ($18) is yet to win over the mile but from four runs at the distance he boasts three thirds
- The previous Flemington winners in the mix are: #9 Hey Doc (5-3-1-0), #1 Hartnell (4-1-0-1), #3 Le Romain (1-1-0-0), #5 Gailo Chop (1-1-0-0), #6 Humidor (2-1-0-0) and #11 Seaburge (6-1-1-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Makybe Diva Stakes 2017 tips, checking out the full race form guide courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au below in the meantime.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.