Sunday at the Sunshine Coast sees the postponed...
A field of 13 three-year-olds are set to run in the 2014 Caulfield Classic this Saturday, offering punters a variety of betting options and the chance to back a winner.
The Group 3 Caulfield Classic (2000m) is one of the supporting races on the Caulfield Cup Day schedule, with a lucrative $750,000 prize pool.
So far the favourites can’t be divided in the Caulfield Classic odds, with six single figure hopefuls available at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Kumaon leads the betting at $4 followed by Merion ($5.50), Magicool, Crafty ($6), Bachman ($6.50), and Fontein Ruby ($8.50).
The John O’Shea-trained Kumaon is a serial placer, with six total from his nine career starts though the colt has only brought home a win once.
He has been busy this spring campaign with five starts, all black type races. He began with minor placings in the Group 1 Champagne Stakes (1600m) and Group 3 Run To The Rose (1200m) before failing to impress in the Group 1 Golden Rose (1400m) on September 13. He drifted to the back of the field with no room to move before coming home 10th.
He returned to the money with a third in the Group 2 Bill Stutt Stakes (1600m) before missing out on a placing his last time out in the Group 1 BECK Caulfield Guineas (1600m) by just a neck.
Champion jockey Kerrin McEvoy will bring him home in search of his first spring win from the ideal barrier three.
With five more single figure bets available for the 2014 Caulfield Classic, it might be hard to choose your winner. Here are the latest stats and form of all five to give you a better idea:
- #2 Merion ($5.50) – in-form after winning three of his five career starts, including the Listed Living Stakes (1400m). Stepped up in class for the first time in Caulfield Guineas, in which he finished a commendable sixth. Will jump wide from barrier 10 with Steven Arnold.
- #4 Magicool ($6) – has run in just four races, two of which the gelding won including the Listed UCI Stakes (1800m) his last time out. Will start from middle of the field with Glen Boss to ride.
- #13 Crafty ($6) – Market mover after shortening from $8.50 to $6. Punters were impressed with his very fast-finishing Group 2 Edward Manifold Stakes (1600m) third finish last time out. Drew barrier nine with Craig Williams in the saddle.
- #3 Bachman ($6.50) – began his spring campaign in the red after finishing 12th in the Golden Rose but turned it around for a minor placing in the Listed Dulcify Quality (1600m). Will get a good start from barrier four with Corey Brown to ride.
- #12 Fontein Ruby ($8.50) – the Edward Manifold winner was the key runner heading into the race but will need to overcome a long start after drawing the widest barrier.
Will one of the many single figure hopefuls bring home the 2014 Caulfield Classic, or will one of the outside runners offering lucrative odds steal the win?
See below for the full list of 2014 Caulfield Classic odds, then back your winner at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Make sure you take advantage of the Best Tote or SP + 20% promotion available exclusively on the Classic this weekend. If the horse you back brings home the win you’ll earn yourself an extra 20% on top of your winnings!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.