Veteran 10-year-old Ihtsahymn entered the...
While not holding Group 1 status like the SA Derby in Adelaide, the A.D. Hollindale Stakes 2013 is arguably the biggest race on the weekend’s line-up with the Races.com.au team’s tips for the Gold Coast classic detailed below.
Set to run as Race 8 at 3:50pm (AEST) the Group 2 Wimmers Soft Drinks A.D. Hollindale Stakes (1800m) is worth $358,000 in prize money this year after receiving a $58,000 boost as part of the Gold Coast Turf Club’s attempt to get the event upgraded to Group 1 status by next season.
This year there are five individual Group 1 winners among the 13-horse field of Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival-bound hopefuls, the favourite of which is Peter Moody’s talented mare Lights Of Heaven.
Coming off an easy win at Rosehill a month ago, the former Schweppes Oaks champ and reining Brisbane Cup – Eagle Farm Cup double winner pays $3 to continue her nice record in the sunshine state in the latest Hollindale Stakes odds.
She is followed in the markets by three other single-figure chances with Foreteller ($3.80) who is one of three starters for in-form Sydney trainer Chris Waller, the local Rob Heathcote-trained Queenslander Solzhenitsyn ($4.40) and Commands six-year-old Lamasery ($9).
So are these dominant four really the ones to beat on the weekend? Or is there a major Hollindale Stakes upset on the cards from a double-figure outsider such as Waller’s veteran nine-year-old Danleigh ($11) or their nicely-drawn stablemate Stout Hearted ($13) from barrier two?
#4 Foreteller ($3.80)
- Think the bookies have the top Hollindale Stakes trifecta correct but just not in exact order
- Close to $4 is a great price on Foreteller who despite barrier 10 has the best claims for mine
- Favourite in this race last year when fourth from the outside barrier (14 of 14) on a Heavy (8) track
- Going much better this time in, has won a Group 1 since then and will get a firmer track
- Distance looks ideal as they won the Group 2 Peter Young at Caulfield over the 1800m in February adding to their good record (5-3-0-0)
- Beaten home subsequent The BMW winner Fiveandahalfstar recently in the Group 1 Ranvet Stakes over 2000m
- Proven weight-for-age performer
- Had a testing hit out last week so has fitness edge too without being over done
#5 Solzhenitsyn ($4.40)
- Should get a gun run from gate eight
- First-up third to Pierro and More Joyous in the Group 1 Canterbury Stakes over 1300m was a cracking run
- Ignore their dead last in the George Ryder (still only 4 ¼ off winner Pierro) as it was run on a Slow (7) which they didn’t handle
- Scratched out of the Doncaster because of the rain and will relish getting a firmer track here
- Hasn’t seen the Gold Coast or the 1800m but their good form over the mile has convinced Heathcote to give them a go
- Only run over further than 1600m was back in 2009 but have come a long way since that time when prepared in NZ
- Group 1 winner of the Toorak Handicap in the spring albeit with only 52kg
- Tipping improvement
#13 Lights Of Heaven ($3)
- Can see why bookies have her as favourite but it’s a short price, shorter even than what she jumped at last start
- Group 1 winner as a three-year-old and has outstanding form in Queensland
- Very close second in this race last year on a Heavy (8) track which she really enjoyed
- Doomben Cup second followed then the Eagle Farm – Brisbane Cup double but is she traveling as well this time in?
- Good second up second over the Moonee Valley mile and her last start win by 1 ¾ at Rosehill over 2000m is being talked up
- Is in form and distance is right but didn’t beat as classy a rivals last start
- Will appreciate WFA with 57kg after her 58kg (runner-up Hoylonny had 54kg) to win the Sellwood
- Has to overcome barrier 11
Whether you’re backing or sacking our selections for the A.D. Hollindale Stakes this year make sure you get the right price on your Gold Coast bets by backing them online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the country’s premier range of Fixed Win markets.
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.