The Ben, Will & JD Hayes-trained Cox...
Can the Melbourne Cup Favourite in 2023 Vauban Win?
The Irish are out in force in this year’s Group 1 $8.41 million Lexus Melbourne Cup (3200m) but can long-term favourite Vauban salute for the punters?
The classy chestnut has been dominating Melbourne Cup betting for months and will start favourite on Tuesday for the 163rd edition of Australia’s most famous race.
Melbourne Cup history was made back in 1993 when the Dermot Weld-trained Irish raider Vintage Crop became the first champion from outside of Australia or New Zealand to win the world’s richest handicap.
Since then we have seen a number of others including a second for Weld with Media Puzzle in 2002 and two for fellow Irishman Joseph O’Brien with Rekindling (2017) and Twilight Payment (2020).
This year both O’Brien – despite withdrawing Valiant King on Friday evening – and Mullins saddle-up livewire chances in the 24-horse Melbourne Cup field but the bulk of the money and attention is on Vauban.
A brilliant stayer back in Europe both in flat and hurdle races the six-year-old son of Galiway makes his down under debut in the famous Flemington Race 7 on Tuesday.
His last official run was back in early August when he carried 61kg to a 1.5 length victory saluting as the odds-on pick with ease in a Group 3 over the mile and a half.
He impressed the onlookers, including rival trainer Mick Price, with a strong piece of work last week in his first trip to Flemington and now gets a chance to show exactly what he is capable of.
So, will Vauban live up to the hype and be crowned the 2023 Melbourne Cup winner?
Click here to bet on Vauban to win the Melbourne Cup 2023.
2023 Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #5 Vauban
Jockey: Ryan Moore
Trainer: Willie Mullins (Co. Carlow (IRE))
Owner/s: Mrs S Ricci
Breeding: by GALIWAY (GB) from WALDFEST (GB)
Last 10: 11x234211x
Prize Money: $788,178
Current 2021 Melbourne Cup Odds*: $3.20 (at time of publish) – BET NOW
Why Vauban Can Salute for the Melbourne Cup 2023 Punters
- Looks well-weighted with 55kg having carted far more to victory last time out at home
- Irish raiders have a strong recent record in the race
- He hails from one of the premiere international stables
- His first Flemington work last week was outstanding
- A genuine two-mile star with an imposing strike-rate at the distance (5:2-2-1)
- Consistent galloper boasting a 50% winning strike rate
- Ridden by a former Melbourne Cup winning jockey in Ryan Moore who partnered the German stayer Protectionist to victory back in 2014
- Passed compulsory vet check for internationals with flying colours
- Came up trumps with barrier three
- Has one of the best win and place rates in the field
Why Vauban Won’t Win the Melbourne Cup In 2023
- Yet to win a Group 1 flat race with all three of his elite level wins being in hurdle events
- Makybe Diva for her second in 2004 is the last horse to win the Melbourne Cup at odds of $3.50 or shorter
- Needs to handle the pressure of favouritism and the race
*Note: 2023 Melbourne Cup odds are correct at time of publish, provided by Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change without notice.
THINK. IS THIS A BET YOU REALLY WANT TO PLACE?
For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.