Veteran 10-year-old Ihtsahymn entered the...
A field of gun weight-for-age stayers face off at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday in the 2018 Tancred Stakes, our comprehensive form guide and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Just nine horses are left in the mix for this autumn’s Group 1 $1.5 million Tancred Stakes (2400m) – formerly The BMW – after the early scratching of the Chris Waller-trained Libran.
That has only shortened the available Tancred Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au on the Darren Weir-trained favourite Gailo Chop ($2.30) who is on the quick back-up after winning last Saturday’s Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) at the track.
The money is on the French import to handle not only the short seven day turnaround but also the notable step-up in distance to the mile and a half, Gailo Chop looking to do the Ranvet Stakes – Tancred Stakes double for the first time since Silent Achiever (2014).
Hot on the favourite’s heels occupying the second line of Tancred Stakes betting this season at $3.60 is the Lloyd Williams-owned 2016 Melbourne Cup winner Almandin.
Presenting fit third-up and sure to relish the extra distance, the Monsun eight-year-old was last seen running just one and a half-lengths back for fourth to Harlem in Flemington’s Group 1 Australian Cup (2000m).
Gailo Chop ran second in that race, but could Almandin have the upper hand in the rematch having been kept fresher and with the better record over the staying distance?
To help punters sort through the genuine contenders and the pretenders in the big one in Sydney on the weekend, below we go over the full Tancred Stakes 2018 form guide, betting history and statistical data.
2018 Tancred Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Tancred Stakes winner was the Ciaron Maher-trained mare Jameka (2017) who came off a lead-up second in the Australian Cup and jumped from barrier 2 (of 8) with jockey Hugh Bowman aboard the $3 favourite
- Jameka was the second mare since Tuesday Joy (2008) to beat home the boys in the Tancred Stakes results and this year there are two mares in the mix with Group 1 winners #9 Single Gaze ($7) and #10 Lasqueti Spirit ($91)
- The only previous Tancred Stakes winning trainer with a runner in the field this weekend is Chris Waller with #5 Who Shot Thebarman ($31)
- Last year’s winning jockey Hugh Bowman chases his third victory on the trot and fourth overall aboard #5 Who Shot Thebarman
- The other previous Tancred Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Craig Williams on #3 Ambitious ($14) and dual winning hoop Damien Oliver aboard #8 Ventura Storm ($26)
- Last year’s winning barrier (2) has produced four Tancred Stakes winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #6 Auvray ($9.50)
- The most successful Tancred Stakes barrier in that time producing seven winners is gate 4 and this year it belongs to #8 Ventura Storm (4)
- The Australian Cup has produced three Tancred Stakes winners since 2011 including the past two on the trot with Preferment (1st in 2016) doing the double and Jameka (2nd in 2017)
- The Australian Cup graduates in the mix this year are the winner Harlem (1st), Gailo Chop (2nd), Ventura Storm (3rd), Almandin (4th), Single Gaze (5th), Ambitious (9th)
- #4 Harlem ($21) is after the Australian Cup – Tancred Stakes interstate double last achieved by Preferment (2016) and is out to atone for a subsequent Ranvet Stakes sixth last weekend
- #1 Gailo Chop ($2.30) has had a subsequent run winning last Saturday’s Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m)
- The Ranvet Stakes has produced three of the past six Tancred Stakes winners including two to do the double – Manighar (2012) and Silent Achiever (2014)
- The other best out of last Saturday’s Ranvet Stakes results backing-up in the Tancred Stakes field is the second placegetter #9 Single Gaze
- Along with #1 Gailo Chop the other last start winner in the Tancred Stakes 2018 field is #6 Auvray who won the Group 3 Sky High Stakes (2000m)
- #6 Auvray ($9.50) is chasing the Sky High Stakes – Tancred Stakes double achieved in 2015 by Hartnell
- Favourites in Tancred Stakes betting have won three times since 2013 including the past two straight years; #1 Gailo Chop is out to be the next to salute for the punters on Saturday
- The past six winners all saluted at single-figures with the last roughie to win being Cedarberg ($26 in 2011)
- Along with the favourite #1 Gailo Chop the other single-figure hopes in the Tancred Stakes odds this year are #2 Almandin ($3.60), #9 Single Gaze ($7) and early market mover #6 Auvray ($9.50)
- Cedarberg (Australian Cup 7th in 2011) was also the last Tancred Stakes winner to come off a lead-up run worse than second; the only horses that ran first or second in the lead-up this year are #1 Gailo Chop, #6 Auvray and #9 Single Gaze
- Four-year-olds have won the past three editions of the Tancred Stakes and four overall since 2011; the roughie hope #10 Lasqueti Spirit ($91) is the only 4YO in the mix this weekend
- No horse older than six has won the Tancred Stakes in over 30 years; the veterans in the field looking to break the hoodoo in 2018 are: #1 Gailo Chop (7YO), #2 Almandin (8YO) and #6 Auvray (7YO)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #1 Gailo Chop (48%) followed by #2 Almandin (32%)
- The best Place Rate of the field also belongs to #1 Gailo Chop (76%) followed by #2 Almandin (68%)
- The horses with winning form at the Rosehill track are: #6 Auvray (4:2-0-0), #9 Single Gaze (7:2-1-1) and #1 Gailo Chop (1:1-0-0)
- The horses with winning form over the distance (2400m) are: #6 Auvray (8:4-0-0), #4 Harlem (6:2-1-1), #5 Who Shot Thebarman (10:2-1-0), #2 Almandin (2:1-1-0) and #8 Ventura Storm (2:1-0-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Tancred Stakes 2018 tips, checking out the full race form guide below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.